Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors

To shelf or not to shelf is the question?

Sorry for the double thread, I originally posted this in the HG section but figured I may get better response here........

Hey all

I'm a newber and have my whole set up, have spent 5 nights in it and I'm not sure I'm happy with the fit of my UQ. UGQ Zepp......beautiful piece I must say and it surely was a toss up. This is not for "brand" comparison because I'm positive both are of the same quality. I'm seeing for me it's going to require extra rigging and whatnot to get that perfect fit. I'm thinking the leg shelf may help in this direction as I'm getting sag below the knee area and tightening the quilt too much is annoying in other areas. I'd like to not have to run cord or whatever over the netted RL, but maybe I would anyway. I've got triangle thingies on order but not sure thats going to solve the issue.

So to you that have used both shelved and non shelved quilts.... Does it make enough difference to justify selling my "standard" for an HG? I am a side sleeper in bed and side-ish in the hammock.

I've searched and read as much as I can find and I know it boils down to personal pref.....Just looking for experience and comparison

Thanks

Images
    I'm a full side sleeper and had the opposite issue you have.
    With my HG full UQ when I moved around thru the nite I found myself up on the leg shelf and a big gap on my back.
    Since I switch to a standard UQ I have had no issues.

One tip I can offer is to use an S biner for the shockcord at each end so when you get diagonal the shockcord will slide in the s biner.
    This really helps equalize the SC pressure allowing you to tighten it more.
    Also make sure you do not have the end shockcords(for sealing the ends) too tight start with them completely loose.
    At my shoulders I have no tension and at my feet there is about 4" of SC showing on each side.

hth

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    It sounds like to me you might want to try tightening up the secondary suspension, which will allow the UQ to expand out and up underneath your knees.
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    OutandBack and Missy Lou both beat me to the punch. It's important to have secondary suspension tight enough to keep quilt elongated. The advice on the head and foot draws is spot on, too tight on these and it will bunch the quilt, especially under your legs. If it looks like you have it snug against the hammock before you get in odds are they are set too tight.

Takes some practice to get things dialed in just right and understand how the suspensions work together, pull this, does that, pull that, does this. I use a DHTB as my go to hammock and stay toasty warm, as long as I have things setup correctly.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    Ok good ill fiddle some more, head end is loose but I keep feeling like I have to cinch up the foot end...... I'll loosen and resist. Secondaries are just pressured to keep it in place. I think I'll try secondaries to triangle thingies tighter to pull up more and loosen primary so SC isn't digging into my head :-) ?

Hammock
    DH ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Superfly,Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG,INC/UGQ,FLTJ
    Suspension
    Speedos/Ankors
    Ok got it dialed finally.......what worked for me was to lengthen the primary about 9", cinching the secondary as per Missy, head end loose but with a little pressure, and foot end cinched tight. This let it slack down without SC pressure on left head side and allowed the UQ to form to the hammock better......cinching the foot end made tapering contour and got rid of the pocket below the knees. Also using triangles for a little more upward tension but probably could do without. Ugh I struggled for a week, that was painful but now I'm happy

I was going to sell my 10' and get an 11' and sell my quilts and go with a different style sheesh:roll eyes:

The main key was extend primary and cinch foot

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by rotorwash View Post
    Ok got it dialed finally.......what worked for me was to lengthen the primary about 9", cinching the secondary as per Missy, head end loose but with a little pressure, and foot end cinched tight. This let it slack down without SC pressure on left head side and allowed the UQ to form to the hammock better......cinching the foot end made tapering contour and got rid of the pocket below the knees. Also using triangles for a little more upward tension but probably could do without. Ugh I struggled for a week, that was painful but now I'm happy

I was going to sell my 10' and get an 11' and sell my quilts and go with a different style sheesh:roll eyes:

The main key was extend primary and cinch foot
    Glad to hear you got it all squared away...even happier you didn't have to sell the quilts! Lol
    Missy Lou - Senior Tarp Queen @ UGQ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts