Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest

ENO Double Nest issues.

So I'm new to the forums and wanted to start out with a current issue I'm having. *I'll preface this with me saying I'm currently 320lbs and 5'11", not a small guy but I don't look like 300....*

In Jan of 2013 I bought an ENO DoubleNest NEW off ebay *gotta pinch pennies somewhere* and started using it sleeping at the parent's house and a few car shows. I did and still want to use it while backpacking the Appalachian Trail. There is a consistent issue where its stretching a LOT and now I can't lay at any angle other than parallel with the hammock. The side edges have not stretched as much as the middle so when I get in, it isn't comfortable at all. I tend to keep it low the ground in case something breaks loose and many times I've been woken up finding my hind end is resting on the ground. Combine that with the popping I'm hearing where the loop is at the end of the hammock nylon itself and I'm worried it isn't going to hold me.

Has anyone else had this issue or did I get one bad hammock? Or is there some super secret *Break In* method I have not been informed of? My experience does NOT seem to match the 100s of other reviews of longer use of this company's products I'm finding from varying sources on the net. I was seriously thinking about getting their OneLink system for me and the girlfriend but now I'm not so sure.

ANY INSIGHT will be appreciated. I'm kind of at a loss at this point.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MSS/CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    What are u using for ur suspension? Maybe ur suspension is stretching.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    homemade webbing
    Images
    Yes, sounds like a suspension issue. Atlas Straps by ENO are great. I use them with my doublenest

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Are you using the eno slap straps? The nylon webbing stretches and that could be why you have woken up on the ground....

If you have the hammock strung too tight then that could account for there being more sag in the centre of the hammock. Find a piece of rope and attach it to the suspension at both sides to make a ridgeline. Make the rope between 80 & 85% of the hammock length. General consensus is that a 30° hang angle is about right for most people and will put less stress on the suspension/suspension points.

Do a search, there have been probably hundreds of posts with people having the same or very similar issues. Try a search like this... site:hammockforuns.net eno issues

Welcome to the forums!

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    In my experience the eno hammock should be fine. The straps can be a problem though. Recently hand a friend with those straps, who is just shy of 300, have a stretch issue with eno straps that lowered his hammock three feet! Part of the problem was that he had them maxed out between two anchor points that were too far apart. It was pretty funny watching him get in the thing. He replaced the straps and has had zero problems since. He replaced them with this: http://www.rei.com/product/783605/ta...ubular-webbing . There is almost zero stretch with this stuff, its what I use for my hammock. There is plenty of info on the site to DIY a set out of this material.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I used to be 300lbs and have also had and my wife in with me in my ENO DN and it's been fine. As others said, the suspension might be an issue. Was it a true ENO or an imitation? You never know with ebay.
    Last edited by Bubba; 04-04-2014 at 08:39.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Have to agree with what everyone else has said.

I weight less than you and when I used the ENO Slap Straps my butt would be on the ground every morning. I switch to the ENO Atlas Straps and the issue went away. The ENO Hammock has not stretched at all and my brother who is north of 320lb uses mine all the time.

As stated above your issue might be your hang angle and if so go here and check out this drawing.
    http://theultimatehang.com/2012/07/hammock-camping-101/
    Using a ridgeline will ensure that once you have the 30 degree angle you can set it and forget it but you can do it without a ridge line it just takes more messing with the suspension each time.

Hammock
    3 custom hk2001 Hammocks
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    IX Double Dog Bun
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch straps
    Could it be a bad fleabay ENO knock-off? Using substandard materials? Stranger things have happened, just a thought ....
    -Turtle Creek

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MSS/CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I use my ENO DN every night and i have never woken with my butt on the floor. For my indoor setup, i am only using amsteel whoopie slings directly from the wall anchor to my hammock.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    PaladinMan187,

I have owned 2 ENO DoubleNests. While I have had great experiences with these hammocks, I never use them on the trail anymore.

When using a pad for bottom insulation, I was able to use the pad to hold down the edges of the DN. Once I switched to underquilts, I consistently experienced the problem you describe. (my suspension = tree huggers/whoopie slings). I would encourage you to explore other hammocks. I found my groove with the WindernessLogics Lite Owl. My Lite Owl is much lighter, less bulky and way, way, way more comfortable. At your size, the Night Owl could be the hammock that changes your life.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast