Hammock
    DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I am a side sleeper and have found many ways to sleep in a gathered end on my side. Try throwing a small pillow or something under your hip, it will give you a flatter lay. Also try hanging the foot end slightly higher then the head end. I tried bridge hammocks but could not get used to them, and like I said im a side sleeper and love my gathered ends.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDumbHammockUser View Post
    Hey guys, I won't go too far because I know this isn't the "introduction" forum, but I digress. I am an avid outdoorsman going to school at Vincennes University, in Vincennes, Indiana. (Conservation Law major, I wants' ta' be a Game Warden) I've never been a fan of tents. I'm only 19 but I've been through my fair share. I usually, weather permitting, slept in my sleeping bag on the ground near the fire .. .. right? I never gave tarps a try, because someone usually has a tent I can bail into.

Recently, I decided I would give hammocks a try. Not having a lot of money (i.e. College student, daily drives a gas hog 69' Fairlane, etc etc) I bought a Grand Trunk Ultralight $20 gathered end hammock. I removed my bed from the bunk bed, and attached my hammock. Terrible night... 'sleep'. I'm a side sleeper. I assume maybe the ends were too close together, maybe the hammock is too short for my 6'2" self, etc. I know most of you will tell me to try a bridge hammock like the Warbonnet *Ridge Runner. Well, there isn't a $20 bridge hammock like the grand trunk I can 'test' for a night. So many say bridge hammocks are the way to go, but then some love gathered end. I really don't want to buy a bridge and then not like it... But I do want to like hammock camping.

So I'm asking the experts here for some advice. Should I save up this summer to buy a bridge hammock? (I'm already saving to overhaul all my gear. I'm a tad nostalgic and enjoy older things. Hence the '69 Ford, another '70 Ford, a 60's Kelty external frame, a 70's North Face sleeping bag, lots of old Coleman stuff, ... I could go one and on. But I am realizing I need to upgrade my gear to more modern stuff. So I will be setting aside money anyway. Except for a new car. Never. )
    Maybe try getting it out to some trees and working with some different spacing...12 to 15 feet or even more. Get the straps up the tree a bit to get the suspension at an angle. Head high or so. Takes a bit of failing in is all.
    Carry forth and love all the retro gear.
    Whoooo Buddy))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm 6' and use a GTUL. It was way too short for me. I would suggest getting a tablecloth and making your own. All I did was double larkshead the dogbones to the ends, which makes it just like a prussik. 10.5' to 11' would work better for you.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    IMG_20140402_201153.jpg

It was a rainy day...

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The angle really doesn't look that bad. I found with my grand trunk UL it needed to be less sag. But it was too short for me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I have 2 gathered end hammocks and a WBRR. I am a side sleeper too. When I first tried sleeping in a gathered end, I couldn't figure out why anyone thought it was comfortable UNTIL someone told me to lay off-axis, i.e. with your body aligned about 15-20 degrees from the centerline of the hammock. That seems obvious now but it points to a key problem - ignorance can mislead you.

Once I started reading up I discovered all sorts of key things that really made sleeping in a hammock work. There's a lot of good advice based on experience in the replies posted here. That's one of the fun things about hammock camping, there's a lot of interesting things to learn. So, you're on the right track with reading and asking for advice.

What prompted me to try a WBRR is I couldn't get rid of the tension I felt in my calves when I slept in the gathered end hammocks. It was still pretty comfortable but I did have to wake up and change position every so often to relieve it.

Once I got the RR, I found I could sleep on my side but it was far more comfortable to sleep on my back. The first time I set it up in a park, I intended to lay in it for 5-10 minutes to try it out and woke up an hour later. YMMV

You might want to look into building a "turtle dog stand". It's cheap, super easy, and allows you to hang in your hammock without trees. You might also want to experiment with sleeping outside. Yep, even when you're "home". Being able to see the stars and breath fresh air while you fall asleep is really nice.

Good luck with your new adventure. :-)
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Well everyone, I discovered my problem. I went out today and set up my hammock between two trees around 13 feet apart, and it was marvelous. Such a better feeling. I was much more flat and way more comfortable. There wasn't much arch to my hammock, (Still some though, don't get me wrong) and I did not have a ridgeline. Strangely, I liked it that way. Planned on just trying it out, and spent maybe 4 hours just hanging around. I feel much more confident in hammock camping now. Thanks for the help guys!!
    I believe good gets better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12