Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?

New to hammocks, but having problems, may not be for me? AnotherDumbNoob here, lol.

Hey guys, I won't go too far because I know this isn't the "introduction" forum, but I digress. I am an avid outdoorsman going to school at Vincennes University, in Vincennes, Indiana. (Conservation Law major, I wants' ta' be a Game Warden) I've never been a fan of tents. I'm only 19 but I've been through my fair share. I usually, weather permitting, slept in my sleeping bag on the ground near the fire .. .. right? I never gave tarps a try, because someone usually has a tent I can bail into.

Recently, I decided I would give hammocks a try. Not having a lot of money (i.e. College student, daily drives a gas hog 69' Fairlane, etc etc) I bought a Grand Trunk Ultralight $20 gathered end hammock. I removed my bed from the bunk bed, and attached my hammock. Terrible night... 'sleep'. I'm a side sleeper. I assume maybe the ends were too close together, maybe the hammock is too short for my 6'2" self, etc. I know most of you will tell me to try a bridge hammock like the Warbonnet *Ridge Runner. Well, there isn't a $20 bridge hammock like the grand trunk I can 'test' for a night. So many say bridge hammocks are the way to go, but then some love gathered end. I really don't want to buy a bridge and then not like it... But I do want to like hammock camping.

So I'm asking the experts here for some advice. Should I save up this summer to buy a bridge hammock? (I'm already saving to overhaul all my gear. I'm a tad nostalgic and enjoy older things. Hence the '69 Ford, another '70 Ford, a 60's Kelty external frame, a 70's North Face sleeping bag, lots of old Coleman stuff, ... I could go one and on. But I am realizing I need to upgrade my gear to more modern stuff. So I will be setting aside money anyway. Except for a new car. Never. )
    Last edited by ConcordSage; 04-04-2014 at 16:06.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle susp
    There is no guarantee you can sleep on your side in a bridge hammock. You won't know until you try. If you can't try, don't buy. BTW, the Blackbird is a gather end hammock. It's the Ridgerunner that is Warbonnet's bridge.

Here is what I would do: go online and buy a Skeeter Beater Pro from Walmart ($63.98). Have it shipped site-to-store to the Vincennes Walmart Supercenter Store #492. If you submit your cell #, a computer will text you when it arrives. Pick it up, save your receipt, go home and hang. The Pro is a long hammock. You might have a better chance side sleeping in it. If you don't like it, return it. No harm, no foul.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

-- George Orwell

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You ought to try to make it to the "Hoosier Hang" that is coming up very soon. There will be many setups to look at and try. Don't give up too soon, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows~Bob Dylan
    http://carnegies-restaurant.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's a learning curve with hammocks - not as easy as 1) buy hammock; 2) hang hammock; 3) sleep in hammock just like bed. I'm also a side sleeper in a bed, but can't sleep that way in a hammock and don't even try. I sleep on my back and sleep better than I do in my bed. Would I like a bridge hammock? Maybe, but I'm unwilling to pay for one or deal with the extra weight.

I had a hard time getting used to hammocks in the beginning, but one thing I found useful was to go on a really long hike and get dog tired, so tired you could sleep on concrete. Next thing I knew, I was waking up 9 hours later feeling great! It's hard to get used to hammocks, after spending your entire life sleeping on a flat surface, but changing the way you sleep is going to be infinitely cheaper than a bridge hammock. No matter which hammock you get, the way you sleep is not going to be comparable to a bed - but bridge hammock enthusiasts probably find it's closer to their bed experience.

I'm a gathered-end enthusiast. The GT UL is a shorter hammock (9.5 ft.), and a ridgeline would probably help. My first few hammocks were all 9.5 ft. or shorter and I really didn't get a great night's sleep. Nowadays, I won't sleep in anything shorter than 10.5 ft long, with 11' my preferred length. I would suggest trying an el cheapo tablecloth hammock before investing in a bridge. I have a couple of tablecloth hammocks and they are comfy - each blank is $12.99 (sometimes cheaper if there's a sale), and comes in at 60 inches wide and 10.5 ft. long after I sewed channels in the ends.

Another affordable, longer hammock is the Buttinasling Hiker Lite, currently on sale for $29.99.

http://buttinasling.com/dolalo.html

I have one of these and it's 55 inches wide, when I prefer 60 inches. Still, at 9 oz. it's a pretty good camping hammock.

For me, hammocking has been an expensive transition from the ground. I tried to do it on the cheap - started out with the 4 lb. sleeping bag, a ccf pad, an eight lb. North Face backpack, and yes, I was carrying my old Coleman stove and cook kit. My pack weight was pushing 60 lbs. and a seven-mile hike was like running a marathon to me. I've since invested in lighter gear. Now, hiking and camping is not "roughing it" anymore.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Your body might adapt to what you have if you give it a few more tries. But yes, the ends were probably hung too close.

My 10' DIY is more comfortable than the GT UL that was my first. But I got used to the GT after a couple of hangs in the back yard. It's a great hammock for the price.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by RKW View Post
    There is no guarantee you can sleep on your side in a bridge hammock. You won't know until you try. If you can't try, don't buy. BTW, the Blackbird is a gather end hammock. It's the Ridgerunner that is Warbonnet's bridge.

Here is what I would do: go online and buy a Skeeter Beater Pro from Walmart ($63.98). Have it shipped site-to-store to the Vincennes Walmart Supercenter Store #492. If you submit your cell #, a computer will text you when it arrives. Pick it up, save your receipt, go home and hang. The Pro is a long hammock. You might have a better chance side sleeping in it. If you don't like it, return it. No harm, no foul.
    Right, sorry about the mistake. I meant Ridge Runner. That is a good idea... I may have to try that. Thanks!

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    For a "proper lay" (the right amount of sag) the ends of your hammock to approximately 83% of the length of the hammock body. The Grand Trunk Ultralight is 9'6" so the ends of your hammock should be about 95" apart when hung. A hammock that is too tight or too loose will not be comfortable no matter what your height. This applies to gathered end hammocks like the GTU. You also want to lay perpendicular to the hammock or you'll be scrunched up like a banana. Head on over to The Ultimate Hang and read up on the basics. Also check out Shug's Essentials For Noobs hammock series.

Redpath has some good advise. Try to make a local hang where you'll have the opportunity to see and try a bunch of hammocks.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by octothorpesarus View Post
    For a "proper lay" (the right amount of sag) the ends of your hammock to approximately 83% of the length of the hammock body. The Grand Trunk Ultralight is 9'6" so the ends of your hammock should be about 95" apart when hung. A hammock that is too tight or too loose will not be comfortable no matter what your height. This applies to gathered end hammocks like the GTU. You also want to lay perpendicular to the hammock or you'll be scrunched up like a banana. Head on over to The Ultimate Hang and read up on the basics. Also check out Shug's Essentials For Noobs hammock series.

Redpath has some good advise. Try to make a local hang where you'll have the opportunity to see and try a bunch of hammocks.

I've been watching Shug Shuggity Shug Shug Shug's videos a lot lately. Great guy! Wish I could make it to MN and hike with him! Maybe someday. I will try to make it to the Hoosier Hang. I just found the thread so i'm reading up on it. Thanks guys!

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherDumbHammockUser View Post
    Hey guys, I won't go too far because I know this isn't the "introduction" forum, but I digress. I am an avid outdoorsman going to school at Vincennes University, in Vincennes, Indiana. (Conservation Law major, I wants' ta' be a Game Warden) I've never been a fan of tents. I'm only 19 but I've been through my fair share. I usually, weather permitting, slept in my sleeping bag on the ground near the fire .. .. right? I never gave tarps a try, because someone usually has a tent I can bail into.

Recently, I decided I would give hammocks a try. Not having a lot of money (i.e. College student, daily drives a gas hog 69' Fairlane, etc etc) I bought a Grand Trunk Ultralight $20 gathered end hammock. I removed my bed from the bunk bed, and attached my hammock. Terrible night... 'sleep'. I'm a side sleeper. I assume maybe the ends were too close together, maybe the hammock is too short for my 6'2" self, etc. I know most of you will tell me to try a bridge hammock like the Warbonnet *Ridge Runner. Well, there isn't a $20 bridge hammock like the grand trunk I can 'test' for a night. So many say bridge hammocks are the way to go, but then some love gathered end. I really don't want to buy a bridge and then not like it... But I do want to like hammock camping.

So I'm asking the experts here for some advice. Should I save up this summer to buy a bridge hammock? (I'm already saving to overhaul all my gear. I'm a tad nostalgic and enjoy older things. Hence the '69 Ford, another '70 Ford, a 60's Kelty external frame, a 70's North Face sleeping bag, lots of old Coleman stuff, ... I could go one and on. But I am realizing I need to upgrade my gear to more modern stuff. So I will be setting aside money anyway. Except for a new car. Never. )
    Correct me if I'm wrong here:

You removed the bottom bunk from your bunk bed and then hung your hammock between the ends of the bunkbed---is that correct?

If so, yes, you hung your hammock with the ends too close together. You should have at least 12 feet from connection point to connection point.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Redpath View Post
    You ought to try to make it to the "Hoosier Hang" that is coming up very soon. There will be many setups to look at and try. Don't give up too soon, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
    This is the best advice you will get and the Hoosier Hang is next weekend and I guarantee you will be welcome and have a chance to try out several types of hammocks. Try hard to make it, even if you just hike in for an afternoon.

Here's the thread with all the info.... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...4-Hoosier-Hang

Almost forgot...Welcome to HF from a few hours away in Columbus!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast