Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks for all the replies.....

Confirms what I thought I had interpreted from reading in so many other posts.... Granted, this will be a bias forum to ask if you like hammocks, but it is an experienced one. To me hammock camping just seems so much more logical (and more comfortable for many...) that it is the obvious way to go.

Unfortunately, I can't get out nearly as often as I would like, but so far we have a trip planned beginning of May. Plan is to be catch some brookies, and hopefully be hanging in a hammock.....

Hoping for the best on both fronts!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post

Confirms what I thought I had interpreted from reading in so many other posts.... Granted, this will be a bias forum to ask if you like hammocks, but it is an experienced one.
    Unfortunately, I can't get out nearly as often as I would like,...
    Exactly, most (if not all) here came to hammocks from the ground...part of the kit evolution for us. Some here have have many decades of experience in the piney woods. The best thing posted (IMO) was that hammocks have a big fidget factor and that is why we work on our kit and set ups so much. Once the set ups become almost automatic (with the right UQ/TQ/etc) there is no human portable ground set up to compare in comfort...well worth the cash and effort.

As to not getting out as much as you would like; I wonder how many could say they do get out as much as they like?
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-06-2014 at 10:34.

Hammock
    DH DangerBird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    MSS Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    After I found out about hammocks I spent about a year researching and watching Shug's videos and fantasizing about having a hammock of my own some day. I was quite committed to the idea by the time I bought my hammock, I knew exactly what I wanted and I was determined to like it. I was comfy as soon as I sat down in my hammock for the first time, and it keeps getting better the more I learn.

I've had my hammock for almost a year now and I still haven't had enough time to get out to the woods yet. But I've happily camped in my backyard for many nights and loved experimenting with my setup. Being able to experiment at home is great as I can bring all the insulation I want with me as a backup without a concern for weight. There have been a couple of nights where I would have frozen if I were out in the woods, but at home I can just grab a second sleeping bag and fall asleep again right away.

The only negative I've experienced was having a piece of paracord snap that I was using to extend my suspension. I was already tucked in for the night when suddenly I dropped a couple feet right onto my tailbone. It hurt quite a bit, but it really damaged my confidence in my setup. So I started hanging a lot lower, and paracord is not used at all now. It took a while to restore my confidence and to be able to lay back without a fear of falling again. If I had fallen like that and had to hike home the next day I would have been in a world of trouble.

So I guess what I'm saying is to try to experiment at home if you can, and get as much time in your hammock as possible. Nothing is better for me than lounging in a hammock at the end of the day. Whether it's been a day of hiking, or a day at the office.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Sys
    Everyone is different but for me I was not comfortable enough to fall asleep. It was comfortable to lay in but due to the fact I can only fall asleep on my side or stomach it will take some getting used to. Also, out in the woods after a long days hike I am sure falling asleep would be a lot easier.
    "It’s a dangerous business, walking out one’s front door" – Gandalf

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Yes, i was comfortable right away, from the first time ever in a hammock (35 years ago ) to when i decided to get back into hammocking a few years back. A couple of years ago i came across a sale on a hammock and my wife asked me to pick her up one, while she was at work i set it up to try it out and the next thing you know she was standing there telling me to wake up!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin_bound View Post

Confirms what I thought I had interpreted from reading in so many other posts.... Granted, this will be a bias forum to ask if you like hammocks, but it is an experienced one. To me hammock camping just seems so much more logical (and more comfortable for many...) that it is the obvious way to go.

Unfortunately, I can't get out nearly as often as I would like, but so far we have a trip planned beginning of May. Plan is to be catch some brookies, and hopefully be hanging in a hammock.....

Hoping for the best on both fronts!
    I'm hoping to be in Algonquin right after ice-out chasing some of those same brookies.. That and again at the end of the month on an EGL canoeing hang. Everyone's welome and maybe we'll bump into each other.

Personally, I took to hammocking with some reservations the first couple of trips and brought my little solo tent as backup. But after some minor adjustments and confidence building cold nights, I was hooked. The tent stayed at home and I never looked back.
    Last edited by Chard; 04-07-2014 at 11:53.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    normally sleep 5 or 6 hrs a night.....the first night in a hammock....12hrs!

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    It is an adjustment, meaning that the more nights in a hammock the better it gets. That said, any night in a hammock is better than any night on the ground.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Argon SF Clone
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    At first I got what many call calf ridge pain. From a mix of hanging the hammock to tight, not laying correctly, as well at the foot end not being hight enough. Took me about 2 trips to figure it out. Now Its The Best Sleep I get!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I was happy right away with my hammock, especially since I found it abandoned hanging in a tree at a usual party spot in the middle of nowhere. It was hung with rope that had fully cut through both trees bark. Quite sure I didn't steal it, but if I did, they didn't deserve it for using rope.

I was already comfortable when I first crawled in mine, but I have spent plenty of time fiddling and tweaking my rig to make it more so. Some things worked some didn't. All in all I'll never sleep on the ground unless I have to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast