WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Never hang from a dead tree, even if there's nothing above to fall on you. You may spend one night like that, only to have the rest of it fall on you the second. Don't ask me how I know.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    I was Dumb as a Post with a brain fart.

My initial ride in/on a Hennessy -- I'm going to do the initial stretch without benefit of the 'directions', ahem:

Still in the skins after set up -- I'm too smart/stupid for my own good so I'm gonna sit on the whole Shebang and stretch it all at once.

Sprong went the ridge line --- sheet bended a piece of cord in and it is still that way 5 1/2 yrs later.

If you are going with an asym Hennessy Tarp, get the next size larger than the hammer body.
    "There's no accounting for other people's taste in love, fiction and huntin' dogs." ---Mark Twain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Buying a Hennessy Expedition.
    Getting wet under the tiny stock tarp.
    Attaching the tarp to the hooks on the hammock and it sagging.
    Messing around with short stock tree straps.
    Buying heavy seat belt straps and paying someone to sew them up.
    Buying snakeskins.
    Using an interior pad.
    Getting bit by mosquitoes for not having adequate under protection or spraying.
    With all due respect, I have to take exception to some of these being referred to as "Beginner mistakes"
    The Hennessy Expedition is an excellent way for a beginner to find out if hanging is for them without blowing the bank. For $100 you can get everything you need to start.
    Another option would be a WBBB for $160 and a MacCat Ultra for another $130. I wouldn't call that a beginner mistake.

My setup has evolved due to the wealth of information presented here.
    I used the tiny stock tarp with the hooks several times with no problem, but eventually went with the MacCat Ultra because I wanted more room. I wouldn't have made that investment without knowing I was in it for good.

After a year of camping with stock straps, I upgraded to long ones and rings.
    I'm still using snakeskins and love 'em.
    I'm still using an interior pad, no problem (have the zipper mod) and have never been bitten through the bottom. (They can't get through the pad)
    My biggest beginner mistakes were hanging too tight... I thought the ridgeline should be banjo string tight and having my head too high. In a tent, I would always pitch with my head up if possible. The first time I slept in the hammock, me and everything in it were at the bottom the next morning. I still have the head a little higher than the feet, but not much.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Yup, been there and done that. The dead tree looked fine until the rain started during the night, then the root system gave away and down she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Never hang from a dead tree, even if there's nothing above to fall on you. You may spend one night like that, only to have the rest of it fall on you the second. Don't ask me how I know.
    BTW, another strong endorsement for Snakeskins. I use them for my tarp only instead of a stuff sack. They are really nice for setting up in the wind.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Make sure you have your tarp staked down securely! If you don't, the wind may sneak up on you in the middle of the night, wreak havoc on your tarp and throw your stakes only god knows where......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images
    Site selection
    The idyllic spot on the rocky outcropping with one tree overhanging the lake looked really inviting on a warm sunny afternoon. Later that night, the cold breeze blowing off the lake that brought with it the rain was f-f-f-f-reezing. At least it hushed up the bullfrogs...

Bring an extra tarp
    If you're planning on camping with groups, or in my case, cubs & scouts, it's useful as a changing room.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234