HH Underfly Insulation

Hey All,

I recently completed the mods for GearCollector's HH_UnderflyProject, and everything looks good. I have the HH UL Asym bottom entry, and got a 24" x72" x 1" open cell foam pad for underfly insulation. I am not planning to use this in real cold weather, but would like to sleep without having a pad inside the hammock. I set everything up outside today, and am able to pull the undercover up snug below/around the hammock. The foam pad seems to stay in place well between the hammock and underfly.

Has anyone got any words of wisdom or suggestions about whether this will be sufficient insulation underneath (for minimum nighttime temps of 50 or so)?

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I don't know , but where did you get the one inch open cell . I ve been looking for one of those reasonabley priced to use as an insulation extender on my insulated hammock with the zipper bottom .

I know the closed cell would get to 50 easily but I have condensation in the small of my back with closed cell , but thats with it in the hammock not in an underfly .

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by riverjoe View Post
    I don't know , but where did you get the one inch open cell . I ve been looking for one of those reasonabley priced to use as an insulation extender on my insulated hammock with the zipper bottom .

I know the closed cell would get to 50 easily but I have condensation in the small of my back with closed cell , but thats with it in the hammock not in an underfly .
    Any foam shop would be a good place to try. Worst case look at mattress toppers at Walmart.

Condensation should be less of an issue with OC foam but you do need the over cover to prevent wind from blowing through the foam. I'd also be tempted to toss in a space blanket to get some added wind resistance and reflective insulation under the OC foam. The light emergency sheets would do.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hi riverjoe,
    I got the foam here:
    http://www.thefoamfactory.com/packag.../polyfoam.html

• + New Posts