Received the much anticipated 2QZQ Epsilon Multicam Underquilt Protector the other day and broke it out this weekend for testing.

We started with an afternoon hang in the lab. Weather was 50-upper 40's with 20-25mph gusting winds.

Soybean, Moose and I broke out the tablcloth hammocks and rigged them in the backyard, aka the lab to test hanging 2 hammocks from a single set of trees as Moose is trying to get his wife (my sister the sherpa) into hammock camping and there are many details to be worked. Nephew Soybean is all over it and is the most hammock wise of all the children despite his 7 years of age.

I brought along a standard 2QZQ breathable UQP picked up off the forums For Sale section along with the new camo UQP. Hammocks were hung and it only took a few minutes to realize the combination of cooler temps and winds were leading to CBS that could not be ignored. As mentioned, Moose is trying to figure out camping rigs for his clan of 5. I made hammocks for the lot of them but he is quickly learning this is just the beginning. If you want to hammock camp, top quilts, underquilts, tarps, bugnets, suspension options and under quilt protectors are all on the must have list.

Being new at this cooler weather hanging Moose wanted to try a couple options, so we broke out some foam pads with ok results, he tried a sleeping bag underneath him anf found the compressed bag offered little warming.

While Moose was experimenting, I hooked Soybean up with the new Epsilon Multicam UQP. I did a quick breath test and it was breathable but not as much as the standard 1.1 breathable ripstop. Figuring that it would be better at stopping the wind, it was installed on the boys hammock. His hammock is a bit shorter than average, I think it was the 126"x60" tablecloth with the double sheet bend gathering method it's probably closer to 9'. The UQP went on over the ends of the whipping but was hanging a little loose even when we cinched up the sides. We probably could have cinched up the sides a bit more but I wanted to leave plenty of give in the shockcord for entry and exit, so we added a mini cordlock to each end and shortend up the shockcord. We could have cut them shorter, or just tied them shorter but the cord locks added a little flexibility.

Soybean was well pleased by the results. Mucho relief from the wind. No more cold back. Gave him his sleeping bag as a topquilt and he was snug as a bug in a hammock.

When it was time to rotate gear, the boy was having none of it. This is what I call his, "back off my camo UQP" look.

So, the camo UQP stay right where it was.

I installed a 3/4 length underquilt on Moose's big kahuna, stupid long, extra wide 156"x90" hammock, which he loves and though warmer he was still complaining of cold spots and when the winds kicked up, all kinds of feeling that cool breeze right where you don't want it. So the standard issue 2QZQ 1.1 breathable ripstop UQP was rigged up and as you can probably guess, problem solved and he was loving it.

Wasn't long before he was dozing off on a happy hammock afternoon siesta.

Well getting these guys setup with gear for testing, helping Moose learn what needs to be diy'd or purchased before getting the family in the trees, left me with no gear. Laying there, no underquilt, no UQP, cold and wondering where it all went wrong. A few hours passed and the boy finally went in the house, leaving his hammock only for food but that was enough, my chance to test the new UQP.

Yes, it's a bit heavier but not enough for me to care, and yes, it's not as breathable as the 1.1 ripstop but let me say, I was happier for it. The wind really picked up and The UQP did exactly what it was supposed to. After 4 hours in the lab it was time to break it all down and head home. I setup the UQP under my XLc and Jarbidge. Temps down into the 30's, windchill down to the upper 20's but relatively low humidity. No condensation issues.

This week we will see some more rain and I will be able to get a better feel for any condensation concerns and will post back here.

After this brief amount of testing, two things are certain, kids love camo and 2QZQ UQP's are part of my everyday kit.