WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    That's a big bite in one mouthful! This is the point when most people choke on hammocks. You are at this point thinking there is no way. There has been a bunch of advice already given and it is all excellent. Just take it in little bites. Think of this as sitting down to a big steak and gorging to the point of losing most of it. Or taking and savoring small bites and taking some home in the doggie bag for later. Patience Grasshopper.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    Unfortunately, we have limited internet access, so on-line videos are not an option. I have seen the book you are referring to. Does it include the angles you need for a comfortable hammock? Seems like there is some kind of certain angles to get the correct tension and comfort. Does it also talk about how tall your posts need to be?

We bought a used hammock off of Craigslist with a sturdy metal frame and some heavy duty hammock material, however, it is rather tight and not comfortable. I would like to try and make changes to it, but don't know where to begin.
    but youre on hf? youtube is one of the best ways to learn about hammocking ( besides hf of course )

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A 30 degree angle on the suspension for gathered end hammocks is a good starting point. 30* looks like this...

Attachment 83074

Posts are usually set 12'-15' apart (15' will give you more options).

For a person 6' tall, I would get the 132" long crinkle taffeta tablecloth. The narrowest option is 90" wide which a few people like, but you will probably want to cut is down narrower. You can lash the ends to try it out before deciding on a final width, cutting it down and adding end channels if desired.

THANKS!!! Great info. If the poles are set 15' apart, can these still be used for hammocks for kids? I know that sounds silly, but that sounds like it is going to have some serious stretch. I guess I am asking if 15' is a good versatile spread that you can use for anyone by adjusting your straps.
    I love the 30* angle example you gave. Easy to remember.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Dang - online videos are the single greatest source of DIY info, from what I can tell. You're looking for analog solutions in a digital age. Can't you go to the library and view videos?

If time would permit. Most of my surfing is done in the evening after the kids are in bed. It is very frustrating having limited access. We do OK with just surfing and posting on forums, but watching videos on-line eats up our "bandwidth" pretty quickly. Currently no other affordable options. Believe me, we keep checking.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    That's a big bite in one mouthful! This is the point when most people choke on hammocks. You are at this point thinking there is no way. There has been a bunch of advice already given and it is all excellent. Just take it in little bites. Think of this as sitting down to a big steak and gorging to the point of losing most of it. Or taking and savoring small bites and taking some home in the doggie bag for later. Patience Grasshopper.

THANKS!!!! But spring is going to be here one of these days and this looks like a great addition to our backyard. Just excited.
    Love your profile photo. We have two Boxers. Hadn't even thought about them in the hammocks with us. I'm sure they will be though!!!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    So, I am looking at tablecloth hammocks. I would set 3 poles around an established tree so we can hang multiple hammocks. The poles will be set around 15' away from the tree. What do you recommend for the poles? I am looking at the Atlas Suspension system. Would this be the way to go using a tree at one end and a pole at the other?
    How tall do the poles need to be?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    With poles at a given distance, shorter hammocks would just need the straps raised higher on the poles compared to a longer hammock.

The UH Hammock Hang Calculator will let you play with different hammock lengths and pole distances to see how high your poles might need to be.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    The guys have given you some great suggestions on places to look for information. Let me try to pull some of it together for you.

Here is the basic set up
    1) something to hang from that is approximately 15feet (notice approximately 12 is ok as is 20 if you suspension will reach it). Big thing here is it must be study because hanging does put a bunch of pressue on what you hang from.
    2) tree straps - wider is better because it protects the trees better but I have hung on 5/8 inch mule tape (stuff used to pull wires through conduit) in a pinch. Most folks use poly straps and you can get them cheap from Harbor Frieght or Tractor supply but sewing a couple of loops in the rachet straps they sell in the trailer sections.
    3) Hammock - sound like you are on your way with DIY and 11 footer should work well for a 6' guy but each of us is different. My brother is 6'4" and uses a 9.5 footer for hunting. Depending on size of kids you might be able to get away with a 9 footer ...my 11 year old nephew is small for his age and he loves his 9 footer.
    4) Top Quilt - Depending on weather it can be many things. Sleeping bags, down quilt/comforter, fleece blanket...I have used nothing more than a twin sized top sheet in July/August weather in VA...hot humid.
    5) Bottom Isulation of some kind - Some folks use Walmart Closed Cell foam pads, some use a no sew Poncho Liner (cheap), others used down under quilts made specifically for hammocks. Kind of the rule of thumb is if the temp is going to fall below 70F, you need something suspended under you. Not a sleeping bag that you lay on. It compresses and will not block the cold. I have used a wool blanket under me because it will insulate without compressing but I prefer either my PLUQ (poncho liner under quilt) or my down UQ depending on the temps.
    6) Bug Net - you may or may not need this. It really depends on you and if mosquitos bother you or not. I need one, my brother does not. It looks like you already decided you want them and you will DIY...good choice.
    7) Tarp - Even in the summer time you need something to cover your set up with. The falling dew will drench you and make you very cold even at 70F. You can start out with the cheap blue WalMart ones and decided what works for your family.
    8) Suspension - OMG Becky! This is the hottest topic on the forum. There are as many suspension options as there are hammock campers..really We all do it a bit differently and if you not back packing then weight will not be a huge issue but you will need something that is strong enough to support you and will not stretch. AVOID NYLON!! Best advice I can offer you. That means don't use climbing ropes as they stretch.

A couple of pieces of advice I was given and have found it to be solid.

There is no right or wrong way to hang. What works for one, won't work for another. You have to try it and see
    Never hang your hammock any higher than you are willing to fall

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    Unfortunately, we have limited internet access, so on-line videos are not an option.
    Ya' live out in the middle of Nowhere, dontcha?

Been there, done that. Even in Indiana there's places where even cell phones won't have service, let alone... Inner.. Intwer... Intir... Internet And if you can get internet, don't even think about YouTube. Keep dreamin'. Hell at home we just got off dial-up. Yes, people, DIAL UP. It's still out there.
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcordSage View Post
    Ya' live out in the middle of Nowhere, dontcha?

Been there, done that. Even in Indiana there's places where even cell phones won't have service, let alone... Inner.. Intwer... Intir... Internet And if you can get internet, don't even think about YouTube. Keep dreamin'. Hell at home we just got off dial-up. Yes, people, DIAL UP. It's still out there.
    Actually, not as far out as we would like. We are seriously only 4 miles outside of town and a 1/2 mile off of a main State highway. There is a major private university in town. Our land phone lines out here have just not been upgraded to be able to get internet. We get our internet through a satellite dish. Our cell phones work.......most of the time. There are smaller towns around us that have high speed internet. We are just in a black hole. It can stay that way too, otherwise all you city folk would learn how wonderful country life is. We don't need any more neighbors!!!

No complaints from this girl. I love our quiet peaceful country living. Just sometimes you need technology to enhance that country living!!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast