Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning

Is there a "Where to begin" type of thread?

I am in information overload. I am totally new to the idea of a hammock. I am still trying to learn the different types of hammocks and all of the lingo you all use.

I am starting to come up with an idea of what I would like, but I just don't know where to find the DIY instructions for what I want to do. I obviously want it to work the first time so I want to rely on all of your experiences.

DH and son are in Cub Scouts and we will be moving on to Boy Scouts when son ages in to it. I would love to see them embrace the hammock style camping, but would also want them to be able to carry their stands with them in case there are no trees available.

So, here is what I think I want to do......table cloth hammocks with bug nets. I want to sew the channels in to the ends. DH is about 6', so I don't know what size tablecloth to get for him. Would they be able to use their sleeping bag in the hammocks or does that not work?

I think I would like to start with just doing the hammocks in the back yard. I would love to set posts to be able to hang 4 or 5 hammocks on. I saw someone used some poles that are used for piers. We don't have any of them around, but may have access to telephone poles. However, they are covered in creosote and I don't like that idea.

Where do I begin?j We are DIY type of people. We just need good instructions.

Tablecloth hammocks
    bug nets that can be set aside when not needed or put on when needed
    poles for hanging. I have a tree in mind that would be a great central pole and just work around that
    What kind of ropes or fastners for hanging the hammocks?
    What else for a total noob?

THANKS!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You'll do fine. I can tell. The clearest introduction to hammock camping is by HammockForums co-founder and former moderator, Just Jeff, on his web site, tothewoods.net.

Go to you youtube and search for "shugemery channel". look at his playlists and there is a whole section for beginers. Very entertaining too. Get the book "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen. it is available on Amazon.com. Very good book. Looking at mine right now. Everything you need to know is in there and spelled out.

Derek hansen has a youtube channel as well. He has instructions for making tablecloth hammocks as well as bug nets.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Welcome to Hammock Forums.

The "Stickys" at the beginning of each subforum are a great place to start. For example, see the three suspension primer videos by GrizzlyAdams in the Suspension subforum.

Here's a few more links.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ing-The-Basics

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ials-For-Noobs

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-camping-101/ ... Dereks book is well worth the cost.

Chances are, you will get better answers by taking your best guess at the correct subforum and asking specific questions.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth
    Tarp
    Thunderbird
    Insulation
    Still looking
    Suspension
    DIY-learning
    Quote Originally Posted by zip-d-dude View Post
    Go to you youtube and search for "shugemery channel". look at his playlists and there is a whole section for beginers. Very entertaining too. Get the book "The Ultimate Hang" by Derek Hansen. it is available on Amazon.com. Very good book. Looking at mine right now. Everything you need to know is in there and spelled out.
    Unfortunately, we have limited internet access, so on-line videos are not an option. I have seen the book you are referring to. Does it include the angles you need for a comfortable hammock? Seems like there is some kind of certain angles to get the correct tension and comfort. Does it also talk about how tall your posts need to be?

We bought a used hammock off of Craigslist with a sturdy metal frame and some heavy duty hammock material, however, it is rather tight and not comfortable. I would like to try and make changes to it, but don't know where to begin.
    Last edited by QuiltinMom; 04-06-2014 at 11:27.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    A 30 degree angle on the suspension for gathered end hammocks is a good starting point. 30* looks like this...

30 Degree Finder IMG_3801 (Medium).JPG

Posts are usually set 12'-15' apart (15' will give you more options).

For a person 6' tall, I would get the 132" long crinkle taffeta tablecloth. The narrowest option is 90" wide which a few people like, but you will probably want to cut is down narrower. You can lash the ends to try it out before deciding on a final width, cutting it down and adding end channels if desired.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Gmcttr .. That is ingenious... I wonder how close that actually is to 30°?? I LIKE it!

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Gmcttr .. That is ingenious... I wonder how close that actually is to 30°?? I LIKE it!
    Very close. Put your phone with your favorite angle finder app up to your screen. Or your hand and see how it works for you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltinMom View Post
    Unfortunately, we have limited internet access, so on-line videos are not an option.
    Dang - online videos are the single greatest source of DIY info, from what I can tell. You're looking for analog solutions in a digital age. Can't you go to the library and view videos?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast