Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    I am emailing magna about acu universal and hammock sections.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    So I got my webbing and steel ordered thru dutch and enjoyed a nice conversation with larry from magna. I called and because of work had to hang up (I was being called on the radio), 2 minutes later, before I could even call back... my phone rings. It was larry from magna. We talked for 15 minutes about many things, including fabrics. Of this I learned a few things; they have more then just the website available and its better to call and ask questions then to assume and buy. I am getting acu 40d thats stronger the most 70d. As gmcttr stated fabrics are more then 1.1 or 30d. I am not sure how much for the fabric but he stated .99 at most plus shipping.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Dutch is on it. In the mail, waiting on magna now to email me back so I can buy fabric. The I need more thread, but I can wait a bit on that. I have a few rolls. On that note how much thread does it take to make a hammock? I plan on making a channel triple stitched and a rolled hem on the sides, I also need to sew the straps.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Cool to hear that Magna really worked with you on figuring out your needs.. As far as amount of thread needed, I like to assume 3 times as much as the length of the stitch... so:
    (right side) 10'6" (left side) 10'6" (head triple stitch) 5' 5' 5' (foot triple stitch) 5' 5' 5'
    roughly total stitch length = 51'
    51' x 3 = 153' = 51 yards per hammock, add a yard for whoopsies = 52 yards
    52 yards times 12 hammocks = 624 yards

each spool Gütermann Mara 70 from DIYGearSupply.com has 765 yards of thread. This is all good on paper, but because I like to be prepared, I would get two spools

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    Cool to hear that Magna really worked with you on figuring out your needs.. As far as amount of thread needed, I like to assume 3 times as much as the length of the stitch... so:
    (right side) 10'6" (left side) 10'6" (head triple stitch) 5' 5' 5' (foot triple stitch) 5' 5' 5'
    roughly total stitch length = 51'
    51' x 3 = 153' = 51 yards per hammock, add a yard for whoopsies = 52 yards
    52 yards times 12 hammocks = 624 yards

each spool Gütermann Mara 70 from DIYGearSupply.com has 765 yards of thread. This is all good on paper, but because I like to be prepared, I would get two spools
    I have 3 spools, one from diy of either one of the gutermann (I think the more general one) and 2 purchased at walmart. The 2 at walmart are 100 poly, and one of them is of the larger size. I am going to order another spool from diy, and run a few out and see how I do. I also need to account heavily for user error and restitching.

Thanks for the info. Dutch's stuff should be here today and although larry has been fun to deal and trying hard to help, he can be a little flighty. He is trying to get me ACU and had expected some today but it appears to be dwr. I am not against it but its more expensive. I only have some much money left from my drug trial fund and am trying to keep the cost to under, at most, .99. I just need 50 or so yard of something to hold up 250-275 lbs. I am not partial to color. We got it worked out I hope and I should have it ordered today.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    dutch has arrived, even with a little micro light as a bonus. still waiting on larry.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Just an update.
    I got my stuff from Dutch and I am still working with Larry from Magna. I am hoping to get a sample tomorrow. I have 24 whoopies, 24 continuous loops, 24 straps to sew and 12 ridgelines to make. When I get the fabric I have 12 sections to cut, 24 rolled hems to run down long ways, 24 channel or whipped ends to make, 12 double sided bags to assemble. All this before 5-30.

Just when I finish school I have more work to do.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great looking project! I did something very similar about this time last year. ACU Digital Camo hammocks out of fabric from Magna. Mostly 10ft 1.6SL, with some variations. Made about 40 hammocks for scouts in a Troop and Pack I work with. Made 30-40 more and sold them here to help pay for the materials I bought for the scout ones. Very fun project (and tiring!) - glad I did it.

If you have any questions on the details of anything, feel free to reach out via PM. As a note, my total/hammock came out to 14.80, which included every last bit (thread, grommets for the bishop bags - even needle replacements).

Hammock Item Cost
    Fabric $5.04
    Amsteel $4.85
    Straps $1.60
    Zing-it $1.10
    Cord and Locks $0.45
    Thread $0.25
    Bead for Whoopies $0.05
    Needle $0.15
    Toggle $0.92
    Grommet $0.39
    Total $14.80
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    The next project will be full set ups for my sons soon to be webelos 2's. he bridges to the boyscouts next year. I will probably make dl hammocks tree to tree like this project and add a tarp. then next year i may be part of the venturing group and i can make stuff for them. or the troop.
    I didn't even think of making more to cover expense. so you spent about 1184. sold 40 for $30? I guess you were allowed to sell those? thanks for the ideas.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Got my straps cut, whoopies cut and working on the splicing. Waiting on my fabric from magna so I can mess that up enough to ask a friend to help me sew.
    I am hoping to get my fixed loops, straps and whoopies done before the fabric gets here. I am not sure I am going to make ridgelines or not. I am thinking I am going to do the whipped end instead of sewn channel. I am also going to look for material for the toggles.

I am also thinking about breyman and what he did. I wonder if this goes well I could sell one of these for $30 and for each one sold I could afford the materials for 2 sets. One to the customer and the other goes to a scout. I am thinking maybe the scout parents would pay $30 and get 2. I would also have to figure on shipping if sold outside my area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast