Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

Switching to a Hennessy and need help

I just got two Hennessy hammocks, a hyperlight and a expedition. I have been using my yukon hammocks with detached fronkey nets up until now. I'm sorry if this is a repeat of old threads, and if it is, please point me in the right direction, but I have some questions:

1) I'm using pads at the moment, but am making underquilts. Is it hard to use an underquilt with henessys bc of the bottom entry and aysm design? And will my DIY underquilts work, or do I have to get the specific jrb or arrow head equiptment UQs?

2) my old hammock was a large hammock, and not aysm. Is this hyperlight small, or do I just need to adjust my lay and sag? It seems that my old hammock used a much bigger sag that maybe screwing with this one.

3) suspension. I had my suspension well situated with my last hammock with amsteel whoopsies and straps. This one comes with a spectra chord. Do people ditch that chord and attach whoopies, or use a system incorparating the spectra? What systems work best to dial this one in?

Thanks in advance for any help, hangers
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Oh yeah, I'm 5'11" 190 pounds as far as how big I am in reference to size of the hammocks and comfort

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Re: Q #1: you can use a conventional UQ with the bottom entry HH - just move the UQ aside when entering/exiting the hammock. This is a bit of a fiddle factor but it works OK - and IMO, it's not much different than entry/exit with the HHSS in place. The 2QZQ zipper mod is a great improvement and alleviates this problem.

Re: Q #3: I ditched the HH suspension and replaced with amsteel continuous loops attached to the hammock - then use whoopies with Dutch Hooks for suspension.

Sorry - don't have any experience for your Q#2 comparing sag(s) of your two hammocks. In general, the HH suspension should be adjusted to keep the SRL tight but not overly taut.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hawghangar View Post
    Re: Q #1: you can use a conventional UQ with the bottom entry HH - just move the UQ aside when entering/exiting the hammock. This is a bit of a fiddle factor but it works OK - and IMO, it's not much different than entry/exit with the HHSS in place. The 2QZQ zipper mod is a great improvement and alleviates this problem.

Re: Q #3: I ditched the HH suspension and replaced with amsteel continuous loops attached to the hammock - then use whoopies with Dutch Hooks for suspension.

Sorry - don't have any experience for your Q#2 comparing sag(s) of your two hammocks. In general, the HH suspension should be adjusted to keep the SRL tight but not overly taut.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for your detailed response; it helps a lot.

Yeah, it's hard to know if I am just adjusting to a new hammock, and I think I was hanging between trees that were too close together. Ironically, this was not as much a factor on my Yukon bc although it is bigger, I think it was more comfortable with a bigger sag and deeper angle than 30
    than the hennessy hyperlight. I guess time will tell if this hammock is the right size for me.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    until I get my UQ, does anyone use pads in their bottom entry HH? it just seems like a lot of fighting. Then again, it may be easier since I'm halfway in when I sit, as opposed to side swinging in onto a pad, hoping it isn't too far out of place by the time I'm on top of it.

And does anyone keep their stock spectra cord as their suspension? I was wondering if there was a good system for dialing it in using that before I swapped it for my whoopies

Hammock
    Hennessy Safari, Eno Doublenest
    Insulation
    Homemade Undrquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by pinballwizard View Post
    until I get my UQ, does anyone use pads in their bottom entry HH? it just seems like a lot of fighting. Then again, it may be easier since I'm halfway in when I sit, as opposed to side swinging in onto a pad, hoping it isn't too far out of place by the time I'm on top of it.

And does anyone keep their stock spectra cord as their suspension? I was wondering if there was a good system for dialing it in using that before I swapped it for my whoopies

I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag right now with a pad. I usually make sure and get the bag adjusted properly when I get in. I sit down and pull my feet in. Once I put my feet in the bag, then I gently lift up my midsection and make any adjustment I need to get on the sleeping bag properly. I have found it's easier to get lined up with the pad if you zip up inside the sleeping bag and then make your little adjustments.

I also am still using the stock suspension, including the stock straps. It's worked fine since day one. I did have my ridgeline break and sent it back to get it replaced with dyneema.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Fig View Post
    I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag right now with a pad. I usually make sure and get the bag adjusted properly when I get in. I sit down and pull my feet in. Once I put my feet in the bag, then I gently lift up my midsection and make any adjustment I need to get on the sleeping bag properly. I have found it's easier to get lined up with the pad if you zip up inside the sleeping bag and then make your little adjustments.

I also am still using the stock suspension, including the stock straps. It's worked fine since day one. I did have my ridgeline break and sent it back to get it replaced with dyneema.
    Are you standing in your bag already when you get in, or is the bag and pad in the HH when you get in, and you get in it from inside the hammock. I would prefer a system that didn't have me standing on the ground in my sleeping bag. Perhaps a ground sheet like tyvek, could be used, I guess

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have Hennessy Hammocks for 2 of the Grandboys & use stock suspension. I changed my Hennessy to whoopie s then to straps. We all learned to tie the knot the Hennessey way but the Grandboys switched to large figure 9s. Adjustments can be made very quickly with the large 9s. The 9s stay clipped to the tree straps when we break down. If weight isn't a problem the 9s work great with stock suspension. If weight is a factor then whoopies and soft shackles are in order.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Not sure of the hyper light, so these answers are based on the UL Backpacker bottom entry - 8 1/2 foot hammock - I've used for 5+ years now.
    1) My limited use of a Jarbidge 3/4 UQ works by just moving it out of the way as you mentioned.

2) The HH hang and feel is quite different than my my DIY 11 1/2 foot hammock. It takes some practice and getting used to.
    The HH can be hung tight - the structural ridgeline will take the load. You should try it but I get calf ridge down the center. So I hang mine with a slight sag and it feels much better. As you stated, you just need to adjust my lay and sag until you get it right.

3) I've played with several suspension methods and always come back to the fail proof Hennessey figure 8 lashing. It literally takes 5 seconds longer to tie the figure 8 lashing than some of the simpler methods I've tried. It takes two or three tries to learn the lashing and get it down pat. I recommend you learn it and use it for awhile, then try several other methods and see what you like.

Learn what you have - stock - then tweak.
    Hope this helps.

Just saw your pads question - I find 30"W by 36" long pads work in the BE (shoulders to thighs). I cut a gossamer gear wide pad in half to get this size (so I have 2 1/4" pads to double up when below about 35F).
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-07-2014 at 15:40. Reason: aded pads info
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    The HH can be hung tight - the structural ridgeline will take the load. You should try it but I get calf ridge down the center. So I hang mine with a slight sag and it feels much better. As you stated, you just need to adjust my lay and sag until you get it right.

Just saw your pads question - I find 30"W by 36" long pads work in the BE (shoulders to thighs). I cut a gossamer gear wide pad in half to get this size (so I have 2 1/4" pads to double up when below about 35F).
    Yeah, I am getting a lot of calf pressure I am not used to. It's right where the BE is. I can't figure if this means I have the thing strung too tight, or its dipped down too far. I think the former, probably. I am also wondering if this is an adjustment just from the asym shape, as well as being much more narrow than what I am used to. I bet/hope there will be a moment where I find that magic spot and say.... Ahhhh. It is getting better though.
    As far as pads, I need to get wider and shorter there, I think. I can't wait to make these quilts though.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast