first successful test hang! (questions)

alright! well i bought some 1.1 from magna and decided to make one of the DIY WBBB as my first hammock. A bit much to chew on a first run no doubt. But i have a lot more free time lately so i figure take it slow and unstitch any mistakes. I originally went with a DL because I am pushing 250-260 these days and wanted to make sure It would be supported.

After a week of waiting on a zipper order i decided to play around with some excess fabric. I wanted to learn if a 1.1 single layer would hold my weight for an UL option. so i cut out 9'6 by 5'8 piece gathered and tied the ends in a knot hoping that the knot would be stronger than a channel.

so i threw on some smc rings and some webbing and with trepidation sat in.. no tearing noises! then swung my legs over and situated myself. I immediately noticed the "calf ridge" probably from the sag of my weight and shorter length i'd guess. but i managed to find a comfy spot and now i will begin to make an UQ.

so price being equal(equal being cheap) what do you think would be better for insulation, a light/medium queen down comforter, or an overstuffed king but down alternative. I would wind up folding the down over itself til i got an approx 3/4 size. then sewing it together or adding snaps so i can use it as a comforter or TQ too. The overstuffed alternative i'd cut out the size and sew the rest together for a patchwork TQ because its too thick to double up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WB Line Strap
    Not having an answer I'm assuming both the queen down and the king alternative are avail to you? Can you do what you want with both and see how you like the finished product? Put them both thru their paces?
    "Nothing could be more irrational than to give the people power and to withhold from them information, without which power is abused. A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it is but a prologue to a farce or tragedy, or perhaps both." - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by Birch View Post
    Not having an answer I'm assuming both the queen down and the king alternative are avail to you? Can you do what you want with both and see how you like the finished product? Put them both thru their paces?
    unfortunately no, I would be buying one or the other. But i could buy one, chek its warmth in general without alterations then return it if its not warm enough. i only have about 50-60 left to spend on the UQ. I already have enough 1.1 to make either an entire shell or just a UQP, and the cordage etc. i'd be spending a little bit more on the down.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WB Line Strap
    "Nothing could be more irrational than to give the people power and to withhold from them information, without which power is abused. A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it is but a prologue to a farce or tragedy, or perhaps both." - James Madison

• + New Posts