Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Hi. Since you bought it already I say give it a go in the back yard or garage, somewhere cooler. Let us know how it works.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Being inside a bag( or Pea Pod type ) is way more efficient when it comes to fighting drafts than TQs. Which is not to say many of us don't manage to overcome drafts with TQs and UQs, but there can be a learning curve. Still, if you had trouble with drafts, no reason at all not to zip up in a bag.

Considering that is is a hooded bag, it is neither too expensive nor too heavy seems to me. Of course, as you probably already know, your bottom insulation will be flattened so you will still need something else for your backside. So even though you need to have a TQ and UQ to equal the amount of insulation in this thing - so say a long 24 oz TQ plus a ~ 24 oz full length UQ + 2 oz hood = 50 oz compared to the 40 oz of this bag in size long, you need some more on the bottom. Unless you decide to use this thing Pea Pod style, which might work good. Then again, using it as a bag with another UQ or pad, you won't have to worry about drafts at all, will you?

So, very interesting!
    I hadn't even thought of trying it Pea Pod style since my primary backpacking hammock is a WBBB. Also I have a nice UGQ UQ so you don't have to sell me on that ;P You're right for a sleeping bag it is a decent price and weight. Obviously a TQ is lighter and cheaper. I'm aware of the insulation crushing but it is a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    Hi. Since you bought it already I say give it a go in the back yard or garage, somewhere cooler. Let us know how it works.
    Very right. Too bad it is getting warm here in GA. I'll certainly be trying it out to better understand how it works. I won't be able to take it down to temperature but I can test out the front zip, arm hole functionality, and "coat" functionality a bit. If it doesn't workout at that point I'll return it and probably take a chance on a TQ. I guess I can always sell the TQ here, plenty of action on the Trade Sub-Forum

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If anyone is curious (since we are often calibrated to TQ weights) I could only find 2 sleeping bags (at the REI site) that were lighter than the Mobile Mummy 3-season that had a similar temp rating.

1 oz lighter, 2 degree better, $50 more, no fancy "mobile features"
    http://www.rei.com/product/848273/se...i-sleeping-bag

4 oz lighter, 2 degrees worse, $160 more, no fancy "mobile features"
    http://www.rei.com/product/864086/ma...5-sleeping-bag

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20* PhoUQ + Bag
    Suspension
    Standard Webbing
    Always enjoyed SD products, but I couldn't see this being worth the weight for me personally.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    If anyone is curious (since we are often calibrated to TQ weights) I could only find 2 sleeping bags (at the REI site) that were lighter than the Mobile Mummy 3-season that had a similar temp rating.

1 oz lighter, 2 degree better, $50 more, no fancy "mobile features"
    http://www.rei.com/product/848273/se...i-sleeping-bag

4 oz lighter, 2 degrees worse, $160 more, no fancy "mobile features"
    http://www.rei.com/product/864086/ma...5-sleeping-bag
    All of those features are bound to cost you at least a little weight. But then again, you have the benefits of those features which may be something you really find useful. And if you can use the hooded bag around camp as a coat, then you can leave behind or at least lighten up on what ever jackets you would normally bring for cold temps. So, if you are the type to use it that way, you may actually come out with less total weight than you had using a normal sleeping bag without those features. Some folks like taking this route ( with JRB Snivelers, or Exped or Feathered friends bags), some folks don't like it for various reasons, and just want to use normal jackets or parkas.

You may well get great use out of this approach at what turns out to be a good buy. I know you have an UQ, but Shug uses a 20* bag Pod style with an UQ inside the bag to push way below zero temps while remaining quite toasty. Just in case you ever find yourself trying to hang way below this bags temp rating.

Quote Originally Posted by wgunter View Post
    Always enjoyed SD products, but I couldn't see this being worth the weight for me personally.
    I see in your signature you use a sleeping bag with separate UQ. What weight is your bag? See above for reasons why a few extra oz relative to the temp rating of this bag gives some features that might, for some people, result in a lower overall pack weight, due to going with lighter jackets, or even leaving them behind. It's not for every one, but JRB has sold a lot of Snivelers based on this concept. Not to mention Exped and Feathered Friends. A JRB Sniveler weighs about 3 oz more than the same temp rating Hudson River, but some folks think it is worth it to be able to use it as a camp jacket. But not every one likes that approach of course.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply BillyBob.

It is, obviously, getting warm out. However, I am eager to try it pea-pod style during the cold weather.

Also, I've never used a bag/coat or TQ/coat before and am looking forward to trying that out too. Obviously it isn't for highly aerobic activities but I think it is a great feature to give you a buffer (temps drop and you can't start a fire, etc).

I have no interest in starting a fight, but I am surprised at how many people are slamming on the weight. It seems to be in the right zone for sleeping bags (obivously heavier than a TQ).

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    I have no interest in starting a fight, but I am surprised at how many people are slamming on the weight. It seems to be in the right zone for sleeping bags (obviously heavier than a TQ).
    I just bought an HG 0* Burrow TQ that weighs 21.6 oz., so this sleeping bag weighs a pound more (and costs more). That's a heavy weight penalty for a wearable sleeping bag.

In my experience, sleeping bags are a pain in the butt in a hammock - and there's a lot of insulation that is useless due to compression. Why exactly do you prefer sleeping bags over topquilts if you're a hammock camper? I'm not understanding that - especially since you already have a UQ.

Even if you're a ground dweller, a TQ is going to work with a pad. So "In the right zone for a sleeping bag" is not adding up for me - many HF members are naturally inclined to compare it to the lighter TQ alternative. If you want feedback on how it performs compared to other sleeping bags, I would suggest you're on the wrong forum.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-10-2014 at 23:28.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most people on HF don't aspire to use sleeping bags as TQs - they do it out of inability to afford TQs. Or they may be ground pounders (or recovering ground pounders) and want to maintain flexibility. However, you are buying a sleeping bag instead of a TQ, for reasons I don't understand. Let's compare three TQs to this bag:

Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy
    Price $379.95 Temp Rating 27 Weight 37 oz.

JacksRBetter Sniveller
    Price $269.95 Temp Rating 25 Weight 24 oz.

HG 0* Burrow
    Price $279 Temp Rating 0 Weight 21.6 oz
    HG 20* Burrow
    Price $249 Temp Rating 20 Weight 17.3

The Sniveller is cheaper and lighter and has a better temp rating - it's designed for ground pounders and it's wearable.

The HG 0* Burrow is cheaper, a pound lighter, 27 degrees warmer, and the only thing it doesn't have is arm and leg holes.

The HG 20* is cheaper, 20 oz. lighter, and 7 degrees warmer.

So you can see why people might be "slamming on the weight." Not to mention the cost - your 20% discount brings it down to $303.96, still more expensive, and not as warm, as any of the alternatives.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 04-10-2014 at 22:46.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I roll around a lot when I sleep. I've only used a DIY TQ made from a RAB bag. I've always had problems letting in cold air as I rolled from one side to the other and so I've become hesitant about using TQs. I like the Sleeping Bag for it's "Draft Free Guarantee." Perhaps a wider "commercial" TQ would eliminate the cold air problems I was having before.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy
    Price $379.95 Temp Rating 27 Weight 37 oz.
    Also, as I understand it, the "comfort level" of 27 F is for women and the "lower limit" of 16 is for men. If you look at a bag like this one (random selection at REI site) you will see that it is listed as a "15 degree bag." The "comfort level" is 28 F and the "lower limit" is 16. http://www.rei.com/product/847651/ke...g-bag#specsTab

Thus I believe it is warmer than the JacksRBetter and HG 20*. Perhaps similar to one of those with 2 oz of overfill. That would bring the cost to within a few bucks of the Jacks R Better. The weight would still be 11 oz heavier no doubt. Based on past experience I gain more "energy" by getting a good night's sleep than I loose by carrier a bit of extra weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast