Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various

Anyone tried the Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy?

I think everyone is getting carried away. Try the bag out and see if you like it. If it's within your ability to transport who really cares how heavy it is. I'm really surprised how hung up everyone here is on shaving an ounce here and there. I think the focus should be more along the lines of get out there and camp and enjoy the experience.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I think everyone is getting carried away. Try the bag out and see if you like it. If it's within your ability to transport who really cares how heavy it is. I'm really surprised how hung up everyone here is on shaving an ounce here and there. I think the focus should be more along the lines of get out there and camp and enjoy the experience.
    Excellent point. It is easy to get carried away on these meaningless nit-pick arguments.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm with SS. Insulation is one of the big three. Take your penalties elsewhere. That way they only cost you ounces or grams, instead of pounds.

I couldn't deal with the additional useless bulk involved. Meaning it just wouldn't fit in my pack, which would also make me take a penalty on another element in the big three, in order to accommodate a sleeping bag.

Less price. Less weight. Handcrafted product. No brainer.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Firesong View Post
    I'm really surprised how hung up everyone here is on shaving an ounce here and there.
    In this case it's shaving a pound - which is a lot of weight and bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    I've only used a DIY TQ made from a RAB bag. I've always had problems letting in cold air as I rolled from one side to the other and so I've become hesitant about using TQs.
    That sounds like a rush to judgement on topquilts: DIY TQ made from sleeping bag was drafty. Therefore, all TQs must be drafty. I'd give one of the quilt vendors a call, just because your complaint is not one I recall hearing about topquilts. There's just so much weight and bulk difference that I think topquilts are worth a try for you, and a TQ will be easy to sell on the forums if it doesn't work out for you.

Still, if you are happy with your purchase and don't mind the weight, then HYOH!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you like the feeling of being in a bag and being hooded up and able to flop from side to side in the hammock, you'll probably love it. It won't be difficult to get in the hammock with it because you can put it on while standing then just sit, rotate and put your legs in once you're laying down.
    If it gets you outside and you have a good night sleep in the woods then don't concern yourself with what others think.

However, since you've asked...

I would be more in favor of this bag if it could be rigged as a pea pod. However, since the zipper doesn't go all the way to the bottom and there's no cinched end to pass the hammock through on the bottom, I don't think it would work well. So, if you're just using it as a sleeping bag, it means you've got to bring at least a 3/4 underquilt along too adding some more bulk to your pack if you're not concerned about weight.

I'm a pod guy and avoid taking an underquilt unless I have to. I have a Wiggy's "Freedom Shelter 0F" bag rigged as a winter pod and also and Exped Dreamwalker 650 20F bag for my shoulder season pod. Both bags have cinched bottoms for the hammock to go through. In summer I use a lightweight bag (as an overquilt) and also an underquilt. Everything fits nicely in my pack with a manageable weight for 3 seasons. During winter, I'm dragging it all in on a pulk so I don't really care about weight and bulk.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Just got my HG 0* TQ today. I noticed that it has three grosgrain loops on each side. I'm not sure their purpose, but I suspect this allows you to use a piece of shock cord or something to make it snug and avoid drafts (not that I've ever experienced any with my HG 20* TQ). You might be able to see them in this pic (on the left). And there's also a snap at the top to keep the TQ snug around your upper torso.

4agynugy.jpg
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly/Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti/Burrow/Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Just got my HG 0* TQ today. I noticed that it has three grosgrain loops on each side. I'm not sure their purpose, but I suspect this allows you to use a piece of shock cord or something to make it snug and avoid drafts (not that I've ever experienced any with my HG 20* TQ). You might be able to see them in this pic (on the left). And there's also a snap at the top to keep the TQ snug around your upper torso.

4agynugy.jpg
    I believe those are to attach the quilt to a pad, but would also serve the purpose you mentioned I would think.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for all the comments!

I took the Mobile Mummy out this weekend. While it was way to warm to evaluate it's temp rating the center zip made using it in a hammock much easier than a side-zip.

Still, I may take the advice here and return it to REI and take the plung with a "professional" TQ. I'm gonna sleep on it a couple days before deciding.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge Hammock
    featheredfriends_moss_winterwren_1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Are "that thing weighs a ton and costs a fortune even with 20% off" comments authorized? Hope you're not a backpacker.
    Actually a ton is 2,000 lbs this bag is just over 2 lbs maybe you miss read it. And I don't see it being over priced considering the dry down ,arm openings and hood. compare it to (Feathered Friends) version of this bag. They are close in price.
    Last edited by Shurppa; 04-12-2014 at 23:10.

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast