Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Anyone tried the Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy?

Hey all,

I decided to take advantage of the REI 20% coupon and stumbled across the Sierra Designs Mobile Mummy. It's a Mummy Bag that has a top center zip, arm holes and a legs hole so you can wear it around camp (sorta like a Snivler.)
    http://www.rei.com/product/865360/si...n-sleeping-bag
    https://www.sierradesigns.com/sleepi.../garment-style

I went ahead and bought it and we'll see how it does.

I'm hoping that the top center zip will make it easier to use in a Hammock. I'm hoping the ability to wear it sorta like a jacket will ease the transitions between minimal insulation while moving and tons of insulation while stationary. I'm hoping that the ability to stick my arms out will help me retain warmth when I have to reach out and adjust anything on my underquilt.

Thoughts?

Please no "you should use a top-quilt" comments in this particular thread.
    Last edited by begleysm; 04-07-2014 at 20:50.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Are "that thing weighs a ton and costs a fortune even with 20% off" comments authorized? Hope you're not a backpacker.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Are "that thing weighs a ton and costs a fortune even with 20% off" comments authorized? Hope you're not a backpacker.
    Pretty rude. I haven't been to the hammockforums in a few months but I don't remember it being so hostile here. I am a backpacker but not a gram counter. Thanks for the constructive comments....

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I'd be curious how it works. Can you pull your feet in to keep them insulated?
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Interesting idea indeed. Might be nice to not have to vacate all your insulation when answering that call of nature in the night. It is pretty heavy compared to some of the top quilts out there, but can't say it would not be manageable. Heck, my first synthetic TQ was 2 lbs and it was only rated to 30 degrees, this is rated at 16. Be interested to see how it works. Although, i have to agree, $300 would get a mighty nice TQ...but, you would have to come out of it to go pee. Keep us posted on what you decide.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I'd be curious how it works. Can you pull your feet in to keep them insulated?
    It is normally in "sleeping bag mode". The feet out setup is the secondary (and is a bit goofy looking from the pics hehe).

Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Interesting idea indeed. Might be nice to not have to vacate all your insulation when answering that call of nature in the night. It is pretty heavy compared to some of the top quilts out there, but can't say it would not be manageable. Heck, my first synthetic TQ was 2 lbs and it was only rated to 30 degrees, this is rated at 16. Be interested to see how it works. Although, i have to agree, $300 would get a mighty nice TQ...but, you would have to come out of it to go pee. Keep us posted on what you decide.
    You are right. I made a TQ from a RAB bag once and it didn't work out for me. I kept opening slots to let in cold air. I figured that I rolled around too much during the night but it might just be because it was too narrow. I got a bit scared off of TQs then. Probably foolishly. I am 2nd guessing myself a bit (but I'm not TOO worried as I got the bag at REI and so it is easy to do returns if the buyer's remorse remains). I'll have to research some TQs soon to see which way I want to go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Might ask one of the TQ guys to make you something just a tad wider than normal, night help with the gaps letting in air. I have done a couple of synthetic TQ's and made them wider so I can tuck them in good around me, seems to work well. Best of luck on your quest...that's part of the fun!
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    The Purple People eater. 11' DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE SLINGS!
    I see. Interesting. I had my reservations on TQs too. My husbands was way to big for me. While that sounds like a good thing, it just left a lot of drafts. HG was kind enough to talk me through what would work best for me and I do love it. It's all about finding what works for you.
    Chase your dreams without fear or hesitation!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lilprincess View Post
    I see. Interesting. I had my reservations on TQs too. My husbands was way to big for me. While that sounds like a good thing, it just left a lot of drafts. HG was kind enough to talk me through what would work best for me and I do love it. It's all about finding what works for you.
    Ya, it's always tough to "try out" things like TQ's since they are often made to order, costly, can't really return them. But ya, you're right, gotta figure out what works!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by begleysm View Post
    It is normally in "sleeping bag mode". The feet out setup is the secondary (and is a bit goofy looking from the pics hehe).

You are right. I made a TQ from a RAB bag once and it didn't work out for me. I kept opening slots to let in cold air. I figured that I rolled around too much during the night but it might just be because it was too narrow. I got a bit scared off of TQs then. Probably foolishly. I am 2nd guessing myself a bit (but I'm not TOO worried as I got the bag at REI and so it is easy to do returns if the buyer's remorse remains). I'll have to research some TQs soon to see which way I want to go.
    Being inside a bag( or Pea Pod type ) is way more efficient when it comes to fighting drafts than TQs. Which is not to say many of us don't manage to overcome drafts with TQs and UQs, but there can be a learning curve. Still, if you had trouble with drafts, no reason at all not to zip up in a bag.

Considering that is is a hooded bag, it is neither too expensive nor too heavy seems to me. Of course, as you probably already know, your bottom insulation will be flattened so you will still need something else for your backside. So even though you need to have a TQ and UQ to equal the amount of insulation in this thing - so say a long 24 oz TQ plus a ~ 24 oz full length UQ + 2 oz hood = 50 oz compared to the 40 oz of this bag in size long, you need some more on the bottom. Unless you decide to use this thing Pea Pod style, which might work good. Then again, using it as a bag with another UQ or pad, you won't have to worry about drafts at all, will you?

So, very interesting!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast