Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time in a hammock

I will say this not the greatest night I have had. But not bad enough to stop from tring again. First how do you get into your sleeping bag I had a H** of a time getting in mine.Second I kept slidding down in my hammock all night. Third I know your suppose to lay corner to corner but how do you maintain that position through out the nightI keep ending up laying in the middle of the hammock.Are there secrets to these problems are does it take time to learn how to sleep in a hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Getting in a sleeping bag was next to impossible for me too. That's why a top quilt is nice. But I use a sleeping bag just like a quilt also. Just zip the bag up 1/4 of the way. Stick feet inside it and pull bag up to neck.

If you are sliding to the foot end of hammock you need to raise the foot end or lower the head end. I like the head end 6"-10" lower than the feet. And I lay more towards the head end.

Not sure why you aren't staying diagonal. Never had troubles with that.

Good luck and keep hanging.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Don't try zipping the sleeping bag up, just put it over you and just zip up the foot end if you need to. Also, what is your hang angle? Sounds like you might have the hammock strung to tight and it keeps sending you to the banana position. Make sure your angle is around 30*, and this should give you enough slack in your hammock to stay on the diagonal. Once you get it right, when you lay on the diagonal, it will give you an almost flat lay.

Hammock
    DIY DBL 1.9 Ripstop
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Straps
    Agree with Jtupnsmoke. Also, check to see you aren't too tall for your hammock. I'm 5'8" and sometimes find myself being forced off of the diagonal of my ENO SingleNest (9.5ft-ish) even with a 30 deg hang. A longer hammock should fix that.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Keep at it and share photos and more info. This crusty lot will get you sorted and sleeping soundly in no time.
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

have a pic but dont know how to post

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by trouttracker View Post
    have a pic but dont know how to post
    Trying going to Photobucket & making an account. Then you can upload the pic to Photobucket, then it'll let you get an URL for an image. Copy & paste the image url and ta dah, you should have a pic in your thread. (I hope I covered all that correctly)

Hammock
    sld treerunner dl
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    hg incubator uq
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Keep with it. It was not a case of love at first sight for me either, it took me about 6-8 nights to get used to it. Have your foot end hung just a bit higher (maybe 6-8 in.) higher than your head. Try to maintain the 30* angle with your suspension.The sleeping bag is a bit of a hassle. If its warm enough don't try to get in it just use it as a quilt as someone else said. Other than these tips, it is/was just a matter of adapting to it. In my case, it may be a function of my age - when I was 20 I could sleep on concrete. In my mid 50's, I just don't sleep as well anywhere as I used to.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trouttracker View Post
    I will say this not the greatest night I have had. But not bad enough to stop from tring again. First how do you get into your sleeping bag I had a H** of a time getting in mine.Second I kept slidding down in my hammock all night. Third I know your suppose to lay corner to corner but how do you maintain that position through out the nightI keep ending up laying in the middle of the hammock.Are there secrets to these problems are does it take time to learn how to sleep in a hammock.
    It takes a bit of time to get the system dailed in so stay with it. If your sliding down toward your foot end hang the foot end 6 0r 8 inches higher. More if needed.
    This video may help with the sleeping bag.
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    I'm a noob also, and my mistake was hanging the hammock ends way too close together. Try finding trees 12'-15' apart and hanging there. Once I tried that, my hammock was MUCH more comfortable.

I use my sleeping bag as a "pod" or "pea pod". Unzip the top and bottom of your bag, but keep the middle zipped up. Slide your hammock through the sleeping bag and out the other side. Hang your hammock like normal and zip the foot end as much as you can, climb in the hammock, fumble around, fall out a few times, kick, scream, pull the top of the sleeping bag up around you, get comfortable, and zip the hammock up around your head/shoulders/ wherever you want. Sort of makes a 'cocoon'.
    I believe good gets better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast