Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

Wink Sipsey Wilderness Hang and Hike (04 - 06 April 2014) PIC HEAVY!

I attended my first group hang in one of my favorite areas – The Sipsey Wilderness in the Bankhead Forest. We actually camped at the Wolfpen Hunters Camp since it is located in the Bankhead forest. Across the street in the Sipsey Wilderness, groups are limited to 10 people so this was ideal. We could hang and hike!

With much anticipation, I left work on Friday afternoon and drove straight to Wolfpen. Squidbilly (who introduced me to hammock camping) and others were already there, but I found a spot and set up. Throughout the weekend, others joined and I think we ended up with approximately 20 hangers. I saw several different set ups and there were a couple of Cuben Fiber tarps I drooled over.

We gathered water, cooked dinner, sat around the fire and had a great time Friday (and Saturday) night(s).

1.jpg 2.jpg

Saturday morning after breakfast we split into two groups. One group was going to White Creek between trails 201 and 202. Since I had been there several times, I was excited to do the Wolfpen/Little Ugly/Eagle Creek loop. I knew it was all off trail, but I had heard nothing but great things. So off we went.

Shortly after leaving the trail, we came upon a nice campsite beside a creek. The highlight was the “Christmas Tree.” Someone had decorated a hemlock with Christmas ornaments. There was a nice small “bluff” adjacent to the water also.

3.jpg 4.jpg

Further down we came to Wolfpen Falls.

5.jpg

As we ventured down, I saw another unnamed waterfall, so I stopped to take a picture.

6.jpg

We continued our adventure and stopped for lunch at Fernglade Falls. The Lord of the Chicken Wings was so inspired I caught him doing the Chicken War Dance.

7.jpg

Wes was smart and brought a good lunch but wouldn’t share

8.jpg

We slightly backtracked and headed over to Little Ugly/Deer Skull Falls. This is my new favorite area in the Sipsey. It is AWESOME.

Little Ugly Falls

9.jpg

Deer Skull Falls

10.jpg

Probably against my better judgment, I climbed up a small ledge to take a picture of the water above Deer Skull Falls.

11.jpg

I managed to get a decent panoramic picture of the area.

12.jpg

After spending quite some time in this area, we had to backtrack to get out of this small box canyon and headed over to Eagle Creek Falls. There seemed to be a nice view everywhere you looked.

13.jpg 14.jpg

As we headed to Eagle Creek Falls, I heard a waterfall and went over to take a quick picture.

15.jpg

to be continued....
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 04-08-2014 at 11:03.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    We made it to Eagle Creek Falls and rested before the climb out.

16.jpg

We had covered only 5 miles, but all of it was off trail and sometimes "no trail." We made it back to camp and everyone was tired – even our unofficial mascot.

17.jpg

We had another great evening of telling stories, sharing information, and relaxing after a great day in the woods. There was a threat of rain and storms, but it just missed us (YAY)! We decided to take a shorter hike on Sunday. Although it was only about a mile, there was plenty to see!

We drove a mile or so up the road, parked and headed into the toward Turkey Foot Creek. Just a few steps later we were upon the remains of Mize Grist Mill. The foundation was elevated up above the creek and some of the stone foundation can still be seen.

18.jpg

Down by the water you can see where they have carved “steps” into the solid rock on both sides of the creek. From what I understand, these where probably used to help anchor lumber to support a dam structure for the mill.

19.jpg

Went down a steep embankment and walked up to another waterfall.

20.jpg 21.jpg

Things here were almost magical.

22.jpg 23.jpg

Just around the corner held ANOTHER waterfall

24.jpg

On our way out, we came across a 1936 Ford that crashed over the bluff from the “old road.”

25.jpg 26.jpg

Shortly after the car, we found a break in the bluff and climbed out to the road and returned to the car. The total trip on Sunday was just around a mile.

I think we should plan something for the fall. There's plenty to see in the area and maybe we could test our cool weather gear...
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 04-08-2014 at 11:28.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the pics, I truly had a great time.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Awesome Jim! Excellent chronicle of our off-trail adventure. Thanks to you and Ashley we now have all hikes covered. Also, thank you for including BeBop: it looks like he is dreaming of chicken wings.

Sorry I missed it, wanted to attend but was wife's b-day weekend, so I decided to life to fight another day! I like the idea of a cold weather hang.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Jim, great trip report. Hope to see you and the rest at Cheaha.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    Sorry we had to miss this one. We just did a first Sipsey hike two months ago. Loved it. Looks like you guys enjoyed. Maybe next time.

• + New Posts