Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?

Where do you shop for hammock/backpacking gear?

There are many sporting goods stores out there, but I have generally stuck to Amazon, Ebay, and Craigslist for all my gear. So onto my question.. Where is the best place to shop for hammock/backpacking equipment? I would just go drive around to all of them, but I loathe driving in & around Indianapolis, or any big city for that matter. To make matters worse, I drive a classic car, so people generally watch my car and not the road.. And, there is a LOT of stores. So before I head off on a shopping spree, I thought I'd ask you guys where you like to shop so I have a better plan of where to go, and what to get there.

I hear about REI a lot. Is it worth it to be a member there? Are the 'garage sales' basically a black friday Wal-Mart risk-your-limbs type of sale? (Specifically the Indiana stores for you Hoosiers who read this.) I've heard mixed opinions on REI's sales.

At most stores, it seems, unless the item you want is on sale, it can usually be bought online cheaper (even with shipping included). So this is why I asked about REI's garage sales... I would probably try to get as much as I could at these, unless they're a madhouse. But is this the case for all stores? I've really only shopped online for backpacking gear, and I am just getting into hammocks now, so I do not know where to start I plan on upgrading most things this summer. Hammock, tarp, suspension, TQ & UQ, pads, etc etc. I assume the hammock I will be buying straight from the website, or on the For Sale forum here. But everything else?

I appreciate everyone's opinions, and thanks!
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I purchase over 90% from cottage vendors. Been doing that for years; even long before hammockforums. I've found the products, characteristics, and customer service cannot come close from big box stores.
    I am an ultralight hiker. If I were a car camper, my answer may have been different.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I don't buy stuff often, but when I do, it's from cottage vendors, the HF marketplace, or Amazon.

Occasionally MEC (Canadian version of REI) has good deals for rock(tree) climbing equipment. Also useful for testing equipment before buying.

My strategy has always been to choose a product first, and then find the cheapest place to buy it through google searches. I don't go to stores to "shop around", reviews are good enough for me.

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    For hammocking def go to the cottage vendors. You wont find the quality anywhere else IMO. As for REI, the garage sales in plymouth meeting PA are kind of crazy. Last one I went to I showed up four hours before and was about 30th in line. People actually camped out the night before to be first in line. By the time they opened the line was prob 250 deep i'd say. That being said, are they worth it? Its hit or miss. Typically yes. I got $250 rain jacket for around $40 so that time it was worth it. But there have been time when i waited 4 hours in line and didnt buy anything. Most of the stuff are items that people have returned for various reasons. One great option that I like is rei outlet http://www.rei.com/outlet. The stuff on there isnt the latest and greatest. It is typically older model items i.e a back pack model from 2 years ago that was once $200 is now $100. Its bran new just an older model that they are trying to get rid of. Thats typically my first go to spot. Good luck in your hunt

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    95% from the For Sale thread. Rest is impulse and usually ends up in the For Sale thread...
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    My strategy has always been to choose a product first, and then find the cheapest place to buy it through google searches. I don't go to stores to "shop around", reviews are good enough for me.
    This is what I do also. Hence, why I've always bought online and the occasional good deal on Craigslist.

But so many people talk about getting said items from REI, Gander MTN, etc etc... Unless it is an item a Cotton Vendor sells, then they say their name. So I feel like maybe I've been missing out on good deals at these retail giants.
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I started out being an REI shopper many year ago when I first started backpacking.
    Now I shop online 95% of the time, even with an REI & similar stores < 10 miles away.

Enjoy a slice of Bobe's pizza for me.

Hammock
    DIY &quot;Taco&quot; Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Wow... thats a question. I started out at a shop in the closest big town for a few things...Hammock, clothing, etc. Then I went on to REI for lots of little things, like stoves, etc. WalMart provided me some stuff sacks, Amazon some maps and such. Wound up going to cottage vendors for UQ and TQ, and then started to DIY a few things.
    What I buy now is mostly replacing little things, which can be handled at REI, with the exception of a tent. If I ever go to ground I'm probably going to get a TarpTent, but I have my core stuff pretty much down pat.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I make a lot of my gear, especially the hammock specific stuff, but when I don't I usually do a google search for what I'm looking for, and find the best price.

That said:

SteepandCheap.com is a good resource, as is BackCountry.com which run's them.
    Campmor, REI, and amazon are also good.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast