Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I use a piece of blue roof material that goes under shingles. Like a very heavy duty tyvek. Weight is not bad and it has held up great. Got it from Detail man last spring at Linville Gorge and has held up great. Thanks Detail Man!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Do the birds a favor and purchase a bag of bird feed then repurpose the bag http://www.etsy.com/listing/46399345...et-bag-tote-or Now... I am not saying make a purse out of it (unless you are in to that type of thing) This stuff is pretty versatile and light weight. There are several companies that use this material to sack their products.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Tyvek makes a great ground cloth. I use some that a HF member kindly gave me.

With the unprinted side up things stand out on it at night.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I use a 3 mil 55-gallon contractor bag. It weighs about 2 oz. Should I ever be forced to go to ground it can be sliced down the sides and used as a ground cloth to protect my hammock from damage.

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    I use a small piece of thin closed cell foam I got at a Mt Rogers hang a few years ago. I use it just to stand on if I need it and carry it to the campfire to sit on. Dual purpose. It rolls right up and goes in my backpack

WOW! That's a lot of replies in a short amount of time! Thanks folks!

If after I ask around my circles of contractor friends I haven't scored a piece of Tyvek, I may opt for that 5x7 tarp option.

@Fire - I like being able to step out on a 'clean' surface and it seems like it would be easier to keep dirt out of my hammock if I utilized something to stand on prior to laying down.

@Trail Runner - Great idea! I'm definitely going to switch my thin trash bag that I normally carry in my pack for the heavier option. Seems like it would be worth the weight difference to have a bag that was much more re-usable than a standard trash bag.

Thanks so much for all the replies!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Why would you want one? For me it helps keep my gear clean, and if it rains it keeps things dry as long as the rainfly fully covers it. Plus it allows me to change clothes without standing barefoot on the ground, and if I use an actual 6x8 tarp it's a backup rainfly.

I've tried several things. some work, some didn't. I tried a 55 gal heavy duty trash bag, but was way too slick. I've used a 6x8 tarp, which was awsome, but just too large. I have a thick piece of plastic sheeting, like what you'd use for vapor barrier, and put gorilla tape on the corners and installed grommets. it's probably about 4x6, so it's a more managable size. I've also looked at a dog food bag and that actually works well. I'm just gradually decreasing the size of what I use. I kayak camp most of the time so weight isn't really a concern.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Also, I take a sponge bath each evening at dusk. Using a dropper bottle of no-rinse camp soap and a quart size ziplock half filled with water, I strip down and wipe myself with a microfiber towel soaked in that water.
    Man, that does not go well with your Cuben tarp --

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I use a 3 mil 55-gallon contractor bag. It weighs about 2 oz. Should I ever be forced to go to ground it can be sliced down the sides and used as a ground cloth to protect my hammock from damage.
    I used a GG Polycryo ground sheet until I switched to a 2 or 3 mil bag also. Works great to put your gear in when the skies open up and you start getting water bounce. Recently Gastar turned me on to the Demobag. Another option that's Light, strong and waterproof. http://www.demobags.com
    --
    John

Hammock
    Dutch Argon/HH Exp. Zip
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Another fan of tyvek. I work in health care and we sometimes have to wear these darn tyvek coveralls working in OR. I just cut up an old one for a ground pad or seat. (Nice to have one in the car for emergence repairs) I have also found the calf high booties work as gators or camp shoes (with a cheap insole added). The darn things are throw away after use and are clean (never used in a OR being used, just during after hours maintenance of cleaned rooms). The weight and pack size is very low.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast