Newbie in South Western Ohio

Hello everyone,

Found this site while searching for info on DIY hammocks and backpacking. Wow! Can't believe all the good info.

I am a season backpacker/hiker raised in the Adirondack mountains of NY and moved to Southern Ohio after college.
    I am getting ready to start backpacking again after about an 8 vacation.

An interest in reducing pack weight lead me to a bunch of ultralight forums, which got me on the idea of hammock camping which lead me here.
    Several friends just started into hammock camping, which is also fueling my curiosity. Plus I am tired of sleeping on the ground.
    My 4 kids and wife love to hike and camp as a family. I am hoping that with hammock camping I can convince my wife to give backpacking a try.

Looking to purchase/DIY my first hammock rig in the next few weeks to gear up for a late spring backpacking trip with 3 or 4 of my kids at East Fork Lake State Park.

My goal is to put together a budget oriented hammock/tarp set to try and see if I can sleep in a hammock, before splurging on an expensive long term hammock setup.
    Need to keep cost low as I might need 6 hammock setups if the whole family decides they like it!

Looking forward to learning as much as I can.

Smose

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Hi smose and welcome.
    If you ever feel like making the 3hr journey North, you are most certainly welcome to visit the workshop.
    I'd be happy to pull out a few hammocks, tarps, quilts, etc and go over some of the basics.
    If you can make it on a Sunday afternoon, we can hang a few brand new hammocks and check them out before they ship out to their owners.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WB Line Strap
    Welcome from WV Smose.
    "Nothing could be more irrational than to give the people power and to withhold from them information, without which power is abused. A people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it is but a prologue to a farce or tragedy, or perhaps both." - James Madison

Thank you for the kind offer, I do not get north much these days unless head to see family in NY.
    You do have real nice hammock design and good info... Will bookmark your link...
    Happy hanging

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Hi smose and welcome.
    If you ever feel like making the 3hr journey North, you are most certainly welcome to visit the workshop.
    I'd be happy to pull out a few hammocks, tarps, quilts, etc and go over some of the basics.
    If you can make it on a Sunday afternoon, we can hang a few brand new hammocks and check them out before they ship out to their owners.

• + New Posts