Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A lot of pressure on those poles. The metal Crazy Creek ones were strong enough to withstand it. Graphite or fiberglass ones probably aren't. And since it's basically right over your head when it snaps...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Gotcha... back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks for the warm welcome, replies, and information. I have read your info, checked the links provided, etc. I would have never thought hammock design and use could have so many aspects and differences. There is a lot to learn.

It seems the Blue Ridge hammock is highly rated. It is more of a tent style hammock and has, what appears to be, a fairly flat sleeping surface because the suspension support is on the bottom fully supporting the sleeping surface. Not sure that is best but it appears to keep the sleeping surface flat and wide. The arced end poles hold the bug net well overhead which makes it appear to have much room inside, allow good air flow, etc. which would be important in warm temps. Already wondering if it would be possible to hang a battery powered fan inside. I am assuming a rain cover could be draped over the arched top but that may make it hotter inside.

In this web site: http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/fab...sonhammock.cfm , you can click on the photos and move your cursor to see a zoomed in close up of any part of the hammock. You can clearly see the suspension poles on the end are metal, the arced top is very well secured, etc. I am impressed (for what that is worth).

I look forward to spending some time on the trail or just in the woods napping around noon time but imagine I will learn a lot on those first trips with whatever hammock I end up with.

Thanks for your help, Dave

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did a quick Google image search and didn't see any pictures of an occupied Blue Ridge hammock. Note that the material and suspension will stretch, which means the part you lay on (body of the hammock) won't be nearly as flat as it appears in those pictures. Not trying to talk you out of that model b/c I've never tried it...just want you to have reasonable expectations. If you choose that one, definitely let us know your thoughts. We may be able to help you with the minor discomforts you're sure to feel (with any model) as you get used to a hammock.

And a tarp does go over the hammock for rainy weather. The higher above the hammock you hang the tarp, the better the ventilation and cooler the hammock feels. It also exposes you to more rain. So most of us have separate tarps that we can hang higher when we want ventilation, then lower it closer to the hammock for stormy weather.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is no doubt that a bridge type hammock provides the flattest lay there is. I would comment only that the Bear Mountain Bridge hammock has been thoroughly tested and reviewed not only in this forum but also in Backpacking Gear Test. It is currently on sale at the Jacks website for only slightly more than the model you posted. (I have no monetary interest in JacksRBetter. I happen to be looking at the possibility of getting one for my wife.) Links to the gear test reviews are on their site.

Given my experience with this forum as well as having seen the BMB in person and having hiked/camped with the Jacks I would say it deserves some serious consideration.

But like others have said... the decision is yours.
    Keep us posted on what you decide and we'll help you work through the learning curve.

edit: I have a back porch hammock which is similar in suspension to the one you posted. I would not consider it a good choice for sleeping on having tried over the past couple of years. The rods on the ends to do not support the rest of the body effectively. Just reporting my own experience.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 06-21-2009 at 15:37.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Now that I understand what their purpose is I am thinking my wife would really like that too on her bridge. I'm going to play.

Pan... Smee... Grizz... anything I should about that before I too deep into the sand trap?
    If you are thinking about adding those arched poles to a true bridge design, then it seems to me that what they do---all they do---is lift the bugnet up and put some tension on it. The challenge with bugnets on bridge hammocks in my experience is getting the cut of them right so that when they are fastened at the edges of the hammock, there is the "right amount" of netting above the hammock. The poles could help lift whatever bugnet you've got there, but you still have to have the right amount of it.

For me, I find that lifting up the bugnet by a centerline or otherwise pulling it up at the head and foot, at the center, does everything I need for keeping the net above me.

Of course, the Jacks worked out the cut just right so that they don't need to lift the netting at all. The JRBM is a little deeper than my hammocks tend to be, and from what I've seen you don't need to have the bugnet lifted at all on them.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    mosquitos will bite through fabric- some people have made a bug net that fully surrounds the hammock. Is it the Eno or the Grand Trunk that has the big ol' mosquito net?

Also, are you a hiker or a car camper, and if a hiker, do you care about weight?
    4.25 lbs with hanging hardware sold separately. I'm not a gram weenie (just a weakie :lol ) so that would be a consideration for me. No problem if you don't mind weight, HYOH (hike your own hike) Some other hammocks do include suspension in the price, so that would be another consideration. (oh and the pics make the blue ridge look tippy- my own opinion, could be wrong.)

I'm a stomach sleeper, and in a hammock I like the half-side half-back position that is possible in a hammock. In fact, after using the hammock I've started sleeping on my back and sides more in my bed! If you lie with your feet towards the "corners" of a hammock rather than the ends, (on a diagonal to the center line) you will find you don't have the "banana" shape that you might have laying straight on. (this is for a regular hammock, hammocks like the bridge are different. )

Welcome to the forums!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow! Can't believe someone found a Lawson hammock on their first run at hammocking. Kind of cool.

I don't think that hammock is the best representation of camping hammocks. It is more like a yard hammock that they put a top on. I see it as being very unstable due to the spreader bar design putting the occupant at, or above, the center of gravity. You said you are 60? I don't think you want to carry the weight of it; I know I don't at 39.

Here is a slideshow of the hammocks. They do have pics of somebody in the hammock. It looks to be a flat sheet of nylon attached to spreader bars and I'm guessing it probably isn't all that comfy. I am a hammock collector and have been considering buying one of these just to have it, but can never convince myself to push the button; other things to buy.

Florida bugs, ahhhh yes. I don't miss them even a little! Where in central Florida are you? I lived in Vero Beach for about 10 years and still have no-see-um nightmares. Still, most of my time hiking the Florida Trail was done in a single layer nylon ripstop hammock (Warbonnet ElDorado). I treated it with Permethrin and never had any problems with mosquitoes or no-see-ums. I would strongly recommend treatment. It makes life much more enjoyable without having to worry about laying on a pad in the Florida heat. Although it does get pretty cool at night. I remember one July evening that it got all the way down to 96F. Ahh, such cool air across my back.
    Trust nobody!

My friend has the Blue Ridge Camping Hammock by Lawson Hammock has allot of sag when occupied but nice design

I know nothing about hammocks but am listening well to your comments and suggestions.

I looked at the Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock. The first thing I noticed about the BMBH is the "suspension" is reversed from that of the Blue Ridge Camping Hammock i.e. the suspension on the BMBH is over top of the body of the hammock. It seems that design would not do much to hold the sleeping surface flat.

Maybe I am making more of an issue about wanting a more flat surface to sleep on and not having to learn to sleep in the typical hammock "banana" position. I have no experience to base my thoughts on, just looking subjectively at the many photos here and thinking how I may like or dislike it. Being a stomach/side sleeper and thinking that I do not wanting a hammock that I will sink down in so to speak, makes me think I want/need as much of a firm and flat of a surface as I can get. It seems that having the suspension under you with spreader bars on each end provides a wider, firmer, and flatter surface. I would like to try the different styles and then one would really know what he likes best, but that isn't possible.

I am in Winter Springs, Fla, just NE from Orlando about 10 miles. I am a hunter and outdoors enthusiast. I am also a feral wild hog trapper agent and spend much time in the wilderness woods and swamps all over middle Florida. I can drive my 4 wheel drive pick up or ATV to any campsite location I may choose, so weight of a hammock and gear is no concern.

It was 82 degrees when I walked outside with coffee this morning, was 98 degrees at 3 pm. In the woods I am guessing it gets down in the mid to low 70's at night right now. I have no idea what kind of bedding or covers would be good in a hammock. Right now I think a battery fan would be nice. Permethrin may become a good friend.

Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast