Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think this issue is akin to folks who post a Hennessy Hammock for a 4% discount off retail and expect it to sell, when anyone who's done a little research knows that Hennessy Hammocks typically sell for 25-40% off retail. You wish you could tell them that it ain't gonna move, but they don't listen. Seller wants what he wants and is unwilling to settle for anything less than what he wants.

You can't really make a rule for people who want to conveniently sell stuff in a package. Only the market can tell them of their delusion.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, Toxawa
    Insulation
    yeti, Leighlo
    Suspension
    Straps and sticks
    I bought the aforementioned combo, and it was to my advantage. The items were available longer, it was cheaper than individually, and I'm lying next to my kid in it at the moment. That said it worked because although the seller had pmd offers on individual items he held out and I ended up buying it. He succeeded because instead of selling the more desirable items (the lynx UQ) first and being stuck with the hammock and having to lower the price on that eventually. I like the idea of the new thread for individual sales, however. Just seems less problematic.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I agree to a new thread as well...possibly. Here is my question: If I post a "For Sale" of a particular item, is it considered acceptable to add additional items for sale to that original post. For example, I post a "For Sale" of a WBBB, and then a couple of days later I decide I also want to sell my UQ and TQ individually and post them in the WBBB "For Sale" post. Is that considered kosher?

If so, then I guess the rules allow for changing a package deal to an individual deal on the fly (so to speak).

However, if this is not considered OK, then I respectfully submit that the package deal thread would need to be closed and a new thread opened if the OP decided to split a package deal. Because...a completely different offering is being sumbitted to the marketplace. It may be made up of the same items, but the nature of the offering is changed.

I hope everyone can follow my thinking on this...I'm still groggy.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I looked at the example of the package deal that sold. Yes, it worked, but Octo had to post to clarify a point. We've talked about convenience for the seller vs. convenience for the buyer, but I think a strong consideration should be whether a sales format makes more work for the mods.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I looked at the example of the package deal that sold. Yes, it worked, but Octo had to post to clarify a point. We've talked about convenience for the seller vs. convenience for the buyer, but I think a strong consideration should be whether a sales format makes more work for the mods.
    Speaking only for myself, the FS posts with a large number of individual items create the most work. We have to repeatedly read through them trying to figure out what is claimed, what is sold, straighten out multiple claims because it got confusing, is there an Item left(?), etc.

Sometimes a long list FS thread will hang on for weeks or months because of a few unsold items and then it is brought back to the front page by someone wondering if the items are still for sale. Often, the seller has forgot about the thread and is no longer watching it to answer questions or does not participate on HF any longer creating confusion for all.

Any way you look at it, the Marketplace subforums are more work than benefit for moderators and exists purely as a benefit for members and not as a core function of HF.

Again...only speaking for myself.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Personally I like neat and tidy. If it is a package deal, list it as a package. Then if the Seller decides to sell the items individually close the "package" listing and start with individual items for sale. I would think that would be easier to navigate and moderate.

Some of the packages offered lately are a bit confusing to read through. I usually end up asking if a particular item has been sold.

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I'm relatively new here so here's my perspective.

Personally , I think a thread per sale item is the way to go, close it when it sells.
    You have to wait till the last little item sells with a bunch listed to close those threads.

A bunch of individual items in a single thread gets confusing for buyers and sellers.

If it's a package deal that gets split up, I think new threads per item is the way to go.
    Any 'I'll take it if you split it up' does not carry over to the new thread, the old package thread is closed at that point.

I've recently bought a package deal and several individual items, also sold one (in two minutes).

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    What about a limit of items for sale? Would that be to difficult to moderate? I'm not a mod and wouldn't want to add to the workload for the moderators.

I ask because there is a limit for how many pictures can be added per post. Would it be better to have a thread with a limit of say, 5 items, then you would need to have another "FS" thread for more items. 3 separate threads for 12 items would be easier, I would think, than 1 thread with 12 items.

Example: thread with 5 items, thread with 3 items, and thread with 4 items in their respective categories, all by the same person. That way, the mods wouldn't have to go thru pages and pages to see if all separate items were sold.

Just a thought and sorry if this may make more work. I respect the time and effort put into this category as well as the rest of this forum.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12