Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    None at this time
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Images

MN-Superior National Forest-SHT

I have planned an 8 day retreat to Superior National Forest the first week in July. I have never been to this area of Minnesota. I will be hanging in my Hennessy survivor and looking to do a little fishing along the way.

Looking for advise on a real good area that offers good fishing, waterfalls, and amazing natural overlooks.
    Would like to avoid the swamp lands if I can.

I will be doing an out and back as I will be going alone. No second car to take me back to mine.

I move along much slower than most, due to the fact I love to take in as much of God's beauty as I can when I go walkabout.

Maybe meet up with a brother or sister in Christ and enjoy some great fellowship.

Happy Hanging
    Grounded7
    Romans 5:1 (KJV)
    Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grounded7 View Post
    I have planned an 8 day retreat to Superior National Forest the first week in July. I have never been to this area of Minnesota. I will be hanging in my Hennessy survivor and looking to do a little fishing along the way.

Looking for advise on a real good area that offers good fishing, waterfalls, and amazing natural overlooks.
    Would like to avoid the swamp lands if I can.

I will be doing an out and back as I will be going alone. No second car to take me back to mine.

I move along much slower than most, due to the fact I love to take in as much of God's beauty as I can when I go walkabout.

Maybe meet up with a brother or sister in Christ and enjoy some great fellowship.

Happy Hanging
    Grounded7
    You'll have a wonderful time up there on the SHT.....
    Good waterfalls in the Tettegouche stretch south of Finland, Mn. You'll pass others here and there. I never fish on the trip but maybe Bean and Bear Lakes would be good. The trail has inland views I love and many views of Lake Superior.
    Have you checked their website...lots of info there....http://www.shta.org/Trail/TrailMaps/index.php
    Also there is a shuttle service . You can find info on the SHT site. Also Harriett Quarles does private shuttles....
    I hike this trail a lot as it is 3 hours from my front door. Many Trip Report from the SHT on my YT site.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52f6_...=share&index=9
    Carry forth,
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    I haven't actually fished while on the SHT, but several of the rivers and creeks it crosses are designated trout streams. The DNR trout stream page has a ton of info on that front. Note that trout require an additional validation ($10) on your fishing license! There are also trout in Bean and Bear Lakes along the trail in Tettegouche State Park. As for waterfalls, ones right along the trail are on the Gooseberry, Caribou, Baptism, Cross, Temperance, Manitou, Cascade, Brule, and Devils Track Rivers.

As Shug noted, both the Superior Shuttle company and Harriet Quarles can handle transportation for you so you can walk one-way.

Hammock
    Hennessy Survivor/Woodland Camo
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Asym
    Insulation
    None at this time
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Tree Strap
    Images
    Shug, Tony;
    Thank you for the advise. I will study the maps a little more and check out the sites you have given me and look into the shuttles.
    I am thinking about a 65 mile trek +/- and would like to fish during a couple days anyhow.
    I should be able to cover 8 miles a day+/- X 8 days, and have time for fishing and meditation at the overlooks.
    Less food to carry, and water along the way should make for a pleasant pack weight.

Tony; Thanks for the trout stream link. I am family with the trout stamp required.
    I am about 4.5 to 5 hours from the Finland area.
    Would be sleeping in the vehicle that Friday night and start my journey early Sat. morning and then beat it for home the next Sunday around noon.

Do you think a 65 mile trek is practical considering my time frame and fishing plans?
    Romans 5:1 (KJV)
    Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Suspension
    Stock Hennessy
    I've also heard Bear and Bean lake have some fishing, but when I talked to the folks at the SHT store in Two Harbors, they advised me not to count on fish for a meal. I've section hiked from the Lake Co. 301 trailhead to Crosby-Manitou over the past 3 years doing 30ish miles each trip. I typically cover 10-14 miles per day, and I wouldn't say I am the strongest hiker (have seen many a folks fly by me thru-hiking with half the pack size as me). Tettegouche is a rough stretch if you are not ready for it (I wasn't) but I'd say 8 miles/day is reasonable. I've only done 3-day trips though, so the added days I'm sure works wonders on the stamina.

I've also used the Superior Shuttle two out of the 3 times. They are great, on time and reasonably priced.

Take all this for what it's worth. I'm new to backpacking - only been doing it for 3 years, and this year will be my 1st with a hammock (the last 3 yrs were with my 10lb, 3-man Mountain Hardwear tent). Shug, Tony, and others seem to be MUCH more experienced. But I LOVE the SHT, wish I could spend more time up there.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UQ Zepplin 20
    Suspension
    Whoppies ENO SS
    Sounds like an awesome trip you have planned. I am looking to spend some time up there at some point this spring/summer/fall. I will look forward to a trip report from you!
    As Peello says...take pictures or it never happened!
    Have a great time!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    I was going to mention the special fishing requirements, but Tony has you covered on that one...Of course, being the world's worst fisherman, I spend dough on licenses in several states and provinces and never catch one dang fish!!! Oh, well...
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    Of course, being the world's worst fisherman, I spend dough on licenses in several states and provinces and never catch one dang fish!!! Oh, well...
    I think you mean you "generously support fish stocking programs".

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    I can't help with planning, but enjoy your trip. I did 5 days in the Boundary Waters with my dad last year and couldn't believe how awesome that whole area is. I wish it weren't so far away!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Definitely hit the SHTA page and order the trail maps and guide book. They are a must have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast