Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles

Tent footprint as a tarp?

I found a tent "footprint" for sale rather cheap. Has anyone tried one for a tarp for light use?

I was wondering whether anyone has used the footprint for a hexagonal tent -- which includes nicely-mounted connectors at six points -- as their tarp. I wouldn't be camping under it, only using it in the back yard for shade & wind and maybe light rain.

The built-in stake loops are nice and strong, and many of the footprints for six-person tents are 100 (or more!) inches the long way and almost as many across. Here's an example: http://www.rei.com/product/871761/bi...seout#specsTab

For twenty or thirty dollars, this would seem like a great, fast, strong solution. Thank you for any thoughts.

- Will

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    I have seen them used for bivey covers and Sun shades. Don't see any reason they wouldn't work.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    HF member Ratdog has a Kelty tent footprint, that we've used on a few hangs recently as a spare tarp around camp, for everything from rain shelter for by the fire, to a wind block. It's probably a little on the heavy side compared to a standard sil hex tarp - but it's definitely acted admirably considering. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he'll share his thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by wenestvedt View Post
    I found a tent "footprint" for sale rather cheap. Has anyone tried one for a tarp for light use?

I was wondering whether anyone has used the footprint for a what is a tent footprint-- which includes nicely-mounted connectors at six points -- as their tarp. I wouldn't be camping under it, only using it in the back yard for shade & wind and maybe light rain.

The built-in stake loops are nice and strong, and many of the footprints for six-person tents are 100 (or more!) inches the long way and almost as many across. Here's an example:

For twenty or thirty dollars, this would seem like a great, fast, strong solution. Thank you for any thoughts.

- Will
    I want to make a tent footprint. I have a piece of tarp and am wondering how much larger than the bottom of the tent to make it. Now I am also wondering if I make it larger than the rainfly, aren't I just making something that is going to collect water under my tent? I see a lot of people making them out of Tyvek, but that also is waterproof, (correct?) and is the same problem as my tarp material. So what's the answer? do I make it smaller than the bottom of the tent, and if so, how much smaller?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by justinvaughan View Post
    I want to make a tent footprint. I have a piece of tarp and am wondering how much larger than the bottom of the tent to make it. Now I am also wondering if I make it larger than the rainfly, aren't I just making something that is going to collect water under my tent? I see a lot of people making them out of Tyvek, but that also is waterproof, (correct?) and is the same problem as my tarp material. So what's the answer? do I make it smaller than the bottom of the tent, and if so, how much smaller?
    Yep...you want to make it SMALLER than the tent. You don't want water that drips off the tent running on top of the footprint. A couple inches all around should suffice.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts