Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    StumpJumper:
    You have 'zeroed in' on one of the basic problems with the hammock 'concept' for wilderness camping. You need a wind-protected spot to hang.

IMO, there is NO WAY that any tarp pitched with the edges off the ground more than a couple of inches will be stable (let alone quiet) in real (anything more than 20 mph, IMO) wind. And, ordinary tent pegs (vs large boulders and trees) usually will be yanked out of the ground by a snapping tarp.

The same 'rule of nature' applies to dining shelter tarps as to a hammock tarp. In 'ordinary camping' (aka with tents) the usual rule when the wind picks up is: 'Get the dining tarp down'...

BTW, anybody who has spent much time in a sailboat will tell you that in the 'right' wind conditions sailcloth and canvas can be plenty loud, hard-to-handle, and can self-destruct. Lighter fabrics take a bit less air to get moving.

It's not that others are not having the same experiences as you...it's just not talked about much. There was a posting (with video) a few months ago about problems with wind on a hilltop camp in cold weather.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I am confused. Does the wind not blow when you are sleeping on the ground?? I'm just trying to figure out how it is going to be more quiet in a tent?
    I don't know if you have you spent much time in a well-designed 'mountain'/'4-season' tent, but the good ones IME are pretty stable/quiet until the wind is really, really howling. That was my experience in my Stephenson Warmlite 3R, and also in a couple of Hilleberg tents. I don't think the experience would be the same in some of the lighter 'tarptents', especially the ones using straight (hiking pole) poles for support.

The huge problem with most hammock tarps is that the edges are off the ground, so the wind can 'get under' the tarp and lift it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I am confused. Does the wind not blow when you are sleeping on the ground?? I'm just trying to figure out how it is going to be more quiet in a tent?
    You know what they say: triangle tents are more likely to blow down, dome tents are more likely to blow away.

Here in the midwest, wind is constantly an issue. Unfortunately I havnt found a way to deal with it either except to concentrate on proper site selection if possible.

And yes, the Hiileberg tents do exceptionaly well in the wind.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm starting on a smaller tarp today, which will be both lighter and less prone to blow away.

The idea of a weatherproof cocoon is interesting but my plan for an UL pack is to make the hammock a bivy on the ground if the weather gets really bad or I can't find trees.
    Mike

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. (Luke 5:16 NIV)

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 ESV)

While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. (1 Thessalonians 5:3 ESV)

Hammock
    BIAS WW DH Freebird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    JRB SS HG Clone
    Suspension
    Whoopies Straps
    I've been using a set of Tato adjustable tarp tie outs. One or both on the wind side of the tarp keep things tensioned and reduces "flap" dramatically. The shock cord also allows the tarp to give a bit under strong sustained gusts, sometimes coming into contact with the hammock, but the cord returns it to position, as soon as the gust drops a bit.

Really helps to open the tarp up on the inside w/o having to mod anything.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Could you have the best of both worlds by hanging your hammock thru both ends of a tent? You'd have the comfort of the hammock plus the security of the tent... Perhaps the added weight would be worth the tradeoff in your case.

I personally don't have problems with a well positioned and properly anchored tarp, yet I can see how a fully-enclosed tent would offer some advantages if you don't like the wind.

-Klauss
    My Blog: http://www.klaussinator.com My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    Could you have the best of both worlds by hanging your hammock thru both ends of a tent? You'd have the comfort of the hammock plus the security of the tent... Perhaps the added weight would be worth the tradeoff in your case.

I personally don't have problems with a well positioned and properly anchored tarp, yet I can see how a fully-enclosed tent would offer some advantages if you don't like the wind.

-Klauss
    Even if you just use the fly and poles. I want to see this happen.

Hammock
    TTTG / BIAS / WL / WB
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Fluff
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Images
    Some great input here folks. Thanks for all the great replies.

Boy, I wish there was a silver bullet...

I really love my HG cuben tarp. In my opinion cuben is an exceptional materiel as it's impervious to water and I feel like it deflects wind better than Silnylon with no stretch. I think the problem (as others have stated) is the pure surface area of hammock tarps. The sheer height x width dimensions of a rigged hammock with weighted UQ require a rather large protective surface. Pitch it flat(er) and you're getting almost no wind deflection. Pitch it steep and battling the wind head on.

I'm just about defeated.... I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around sleeping in a tent again, but I have to think it'll give me more options for site selection with a lower profile. When it's not windy, I sleep like an absolute champ in my hammocks. I wish I could plan for windy trips but here in the Los Padres in California the wind can just pick up at anytime, in any direction, without warning.

The wind came up on this last trip around 11pm and I had to exit my hammock no less than 6 times to replant stakes, add the tarp center guyline, and tension the pullouts. At the same time it was pelting freezing rain. Miserable. All the while I'm looking at all four of my hiking partner's tents sitting relatively motionless... like.... little.... turtle.... shells. Darn those tents.

Sad and a little bitter,

Stumpjumper

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    SOLD, MYOG begins
    Insulation
    Zpacks quilt, pad
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Could you do me a huge favour and set up the tent poles (I'm assuming you have a dome tent), attach a ground sheet, and then tie down your tarp to that? See how it works? If um not mistaken the dome structure has the potential to solve your problems, without adding the weight of a full tent.