Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't decide which hammock to go with

I've been using my Walmart Equip hammock for about 2 years now and it leaves a lot to be desired. I think much of this has to do with my hanging technique but I plan to work on that soon. I recently purchased 15 feet of polyester webbing to make tree huggers from and enough amsteel to make 2 whoopie slings and maybe enough for a tarp ridgeline.

I'm wondering the benefits of getting something like the Eno single nest or Grand Trunk Single over something like the Grand trunk ultra light which not only weighs less but is about 1/3 the price of the other two.

What I'm looking for is as much comfort as possible because the last few hangs in my Equip hammock have been less than ideal. There is a lot of pressure on my shoulders it seems like there is a lot of slack on the sides which wrap high around and above me.

I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have used a few different hammocks or are really impressed with what you have.

I'm hoping to keep purchases under 75 dollars.. So the elite hammocks are out of the question right now.

Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Best value on the hammock market right now is the BIAS Hiker Lite at $29.95.

http://buttinasling.com/dolalo.html

It's 11 ft. long and 55" wide. While I prefer 60" wide hammocks, this baby is probably guaranteed to be more comfy than any of the hammocks you listed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I know the higher end hammocks are out of your range now, and not to be rude or mean but you get what you pay for. If it were me I would keep using what you have now and start saving for a much nicer setup. Take the $75 and add to it, little by little until you can afford quality.
    In the meantime attend a group hang or look for members in your neck of the woods to try out the different hammocks. I personally rock a WBBB XLC and it is amazing, worth every penny. Good luck.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    WB Traveler w/ DIY Bug net
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    WB Straps, Dclips
    A single layer Warbonnet traveler is $60 and a double layer (more comfortable) is $75, both come with webbing/buckle suspension. The only thing you'll need is biners or Dutch clips.
    I have the 1.7 double and love it! I'm switching over to whoopies too, straps are fine but looking to save on pack space and weight.
    Last edited by RollinJoe; 04-10-2014 at 23:21.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I am very happy with my http://www.hammeck.com

You should investigate.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    You can get a great hang for $75. What is your weight target how light a hammock do you prefer and do you have any inclination for DIY? Your approx height and weight? These will help others give you the best recommendations. Hope I helped without getting to personal.
    PS netting not required I am guessing. Generally cheaper to buy integrated but some prefer to have it as a separate item, especially if you hike ultra lite in cold. But I digress into details. No right or wrong way just the style that is best for YOU!
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 04-11-2014 at 06:43.

I'm loving these suggestions and will investigate further. The hammeck.com looks great.. Unbeatable prices.. 40 dollars for the whole set up including whoopie slings and tree straps? wow.

Some extra information that was asked for....

I'm 5'10"ish and weigh in the 175lb range.
    I've been doing a ton of DIY lately and wouldn't mind making a Hammock but I'd almost prefer just buy right now as I'm busy with other projects.
    Bug netting - Right now I think I would prefer separate netting.

A double layer is something I haven't even considered because i've been using my DIY underquilt but I'm open to one if there is good reason to get one. This hammock wil likely only be used for 3 season camping, but I do like to cold winter camp, I'll just have to work on my under insulation.. Maybe lay another down bag between my hammock and my underquilt... but I'm getting off topic.

Thanks again for all the great ideas! Keep them coming!

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    Since you have been camping with your wally world hammock for 2 years, I'm guessing you already own a seperate bug net, right?
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

I have a bunch of tulle and that I haphazardly throw over the ridge line.. But I've got the materials to make a fronkey style net as soon as bugs begin to be a problem.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7D
    Tarp
    Superfly or DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator +MSS
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    If you save a bit for something from one of the many great cottage vendors, you can always sell it for minimal loss on here once your post count gets to 50. At least that's how I've been justifying it in my head

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast