WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Favorite Sock?`

What is your favorite hammock sock, and what makes it great? What makes it good for warmth?

Also, do they increase summer temperatures as much as they increase winter temps? My gut says no, but my gut is also quite brainless. And my brain says "Ask the experts, I'm too tired to figure out how radiant heat dissipates through material layers"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Favorite Sock?`

The main way that a hammock sock helps is to block wind from billowing heat out of your quilts. As the heat escapes from your body, a stable temperature gradient is established through the thickness of your quilts. Having this gradient stay stable is your key to warmth.
    When wind billows the quilt, you have to start over building this temperature gradient. That takes several times the amount of energy (escaped heat) from your body to re-establish that gradient, as opposed to maintaining a stable gradient.
    Oh, and as an additional minor help, a sock can increase your micro-climate a few degrees.

P.S. Don't say "sock" and "summer" in the same sentence!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    The main way that a hammock sock helps is to block wind from billowing heat out of your quilts. As the heat escapes from your body, a stable temperature gradient is established through the thickness of your quilts. Having this gradient stay stable is your key to warmth.
    When wind billows the quilt, you have to start over building this temperature gradient. That takes several times the amount of energy (escaped heat) from your body to re-establish that gradient, as opposed to maintaining a stable gradient.
    Oh, and as an additional minor help, a sock can increase your micro-climate a few degrees.

P.S. Don't say "sock" and "summer" in the same sentence!
    Would UQ protectors function pretty much the same way?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Yes, but without the micro-climate and pesky condensation issues.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    these are my favourite socks. tha first one is a simple fronkey style sock made from 1.1 ripstop for gathered ends weights 15 oz., the on after that is my deeeeep! winter sock for my bmbh made from canvas,it weights 8 lb.!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    This is my only sock and it exceeded my expectations. It's more of a pod made of Soft Tyvek (not house tyvek) and Just Jeff's Sock V2 was the basic idea used. Also - no sew - all seams are doubled up tyvek tape.
    I've used this on several 65F nights with a Snug Pack Jungle bag (a light sleeping bag - no UQ or pad - no condensation). I had a little condensation one night when we had an Ice fog - but at 100% humidity you would expect that. I estimate about 10F increase in temp.
    You asked about UQP - I also have a 2QZQ Bridge UQP that I have compared to this sock:
    - The UQP is more versatile and easier to use with a 3/4 UQ. I can close it up on top using the bridge loops and center shock cord adjustment. Performs almost as good as the sock in cold/high winds. Easy to get in/out of.
    - Sock is made for winter use with a small A-Sym tarp (snow/20F weather) it is more water proof for blowing snow and warmer than the UQP. The sock can not be adjusted for hot weather air flow. Also the sock cinches up around your shoulders - a little harder to get in/out of but not bad at all.
    I think the UQP is 6.5 oz and the sock is 8.5 oz. If I had to choose one for 3 season camping, I'd get the Bridge UQP.
    Here's a picture of my sock - the bucket is where your head would be.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438
    Last edited by oldpappy; 03-28-2014 at 18:56. Reason: graphic didn't work 1st time so link was added
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    This is my only sock and it exceeded my expectations. It's more of a pod made of Soft Tyvek (not house tyvek) and Just Jeff's Sock V2 was the basic idea used. Also - no sew - all seams are doubled up tyvek tape.
    I've used this on several 65F nights with a Snug Pack Jungle bag (a light sleeping bag - no UQ or pad - no condensation). I had a little condensation one night when we had an Ice fog - but at 100% humidity you would expect that.
    I estimate about 10F increase in temp.
    You asked about UQP - I also have a 2QZQ Bridge UQP that I have compared to this sock:
    - The UQP is more versatile and easier to use with a 3/4 UQ. I can close it up on top using the bridge loops and center shock cord adjustment. Performs almost as good as the sock in cold/high winds. Easy to get in/out of.
    - Sock is made for winter use with a small A-Sym tarp (snow/20F weather) it is more water proof for blowing snow and warmer than the UQP. The sock can not be adjusted for hot weather air flow. Also the sock cinches up around your shoulders - a little harder to get in/out of but not bad at all.
    I think the UQP is 6.5 oz and the sock is 8.5 oz. If I had to choose one for 3 season camping, I'd get the Bridge UQP.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/galler...mageuser=27438
    Your picture might be broken (I can't see it). Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    Hammock Universe Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    EE RevalatonX 20
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    I use a ranger blanket as an uq protector or 3/4 sock (it wraps almost completely around me, leaving the top open) and I've slept in several -20 Celcius nights, snug as a bug with a 20 degree (farenheit, I assume) Enlightened equipment revelationx one for under, one for over.

Works pretty well.
    Qualified to do almost anything with almost nothing. Ask me how!

Hammock
    GT Ultralight/DIY
    Tarp
    big daddy
    Insulation
    pad/PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps/whoopie
    Pocho liner over the ridgeline and tucked into the pluq. Just use serious sleeping bags.
    Summer is the dream hammock bug sock. Keeps the Mi. state birds at bay. Mosquitoes.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I gave up on socks. Went back to just my underquilt protector and a fleece top cover suspended from the ridgeline with prussicks and S-biners. Can be detached and draped right over me on the hammock sides.
    Even use one made from 1.1 ripstop in the summer for mountain camping. The 3 AM katabatic air flow change gets pretty cold.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast