Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Images
    I'm off Sundays, Mondays. I can request a Saturday if needed.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by atrane21 View Post
    I'm open to dates, as i'm free almost every weekend, so whatever works for others works for me. I will have to figure out how to transport the kayak, but other than that i should be good to go.
    One of the things to consider is water level when planning. I'm not familiar with this river, there may be better times of the year to do this. Do you know what section your looking at?
    --
    John

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Oldsoldier said he has done this float tons of times and suggested to do it BEFORE summer starts. Once summer kicks in it get super crowded and a lot of partying and craziness. Water would still be quite cold but maybe we could try for next month sometime? I think the water level would still be plenty high enough and it shouldn't be to crowded as it won't be tourist season yet.
    I'm open to any section, looks like theres a few nice spots to put in and take out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I am now living on route 160 in Denmark Maine, which is less then three miles form the Saco River. The river is high right now but not as high as it has been in past years.
    I may be interested in this trip but it depends on the dates. Where are you looking at for putting in and out at? What dates are you thinking?

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    I dont know the area and couldnt find a ton of information online so im open to suggestions. I was hoping to get some info here.
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    There several places to put in at. It all depends on how far you want to go and how many miles we want to paddle per day.

Most people that do the Saco here in the summer just float down stream with the current and drink beer.
    I don't think that is what we are talking about doing that. I think we are talking about kayaking and paddling and hammock camping.
    I am also assuming that we are talking about making this a two day trip with one overnight, right?
    We need to decide on how many miles we are thinking about paddling per day?

We could put in at the following locations;
    Swans Falls in Fryeburg.
    Canal Bridge on route 5.
    Route 302 south of Fryeburg.
    Route 160 in Brownfield. I live 2.9 miles form this.
    Hiram.

Distances

• Most people put in at Swans falls and take out at route 302, about 10.5 miles.
    • We could put in at Swans Falls and take out at route 160 in Brownfield. This is 19 miles. I also live 2.9 miles from the Brownfield take out point. This might me our best option.
    • Brownfield to Hiram is 14 miles.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Maine gazateer is the best and will be your great friend and guide to portages and campsites. Can be found at many gas stations and many other stores throughout the state. I suggest that for sure.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Hex 1.0 Chameleon
    Tarp
    Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Secret
    Attroll- great info!!
    I agree with actually getting some distance in and not just floating. Dont want to rush through either but i think 2 days 1 night we could cover a lot of mileage.
    The 19 miles from swans falls to brownfield sounds great. We just need to organize drop off and pick up vehicles and figure out a nice camp spot somewhere along that route. Maybe try and find a spot about the halfway point?
    DutchWare Gear
    www.DutchWareGear.com

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    We are in! We've been wanting to go this for a long time.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I have kayaked from Swan Falls to route 302 before a few years ago. It is 10 miles but with the small current it goes fast. It would probably take us less then four hours easily.

Since I live so close we could park cars at my house and work out the shuttling from there.

My suggestion would be possibly to do it on May 17 - 18. I don't think it would be a good idea to do it the following weekend because it is Memorial Day weekend and there will be a lot of people on the river that weekend. This is just an idea.

Here is some more information I came across. I will look into what it takes to get a fire permit.

• Destination-If you have your own canoe, how long of a trip do you want to take, use the maps and charts above? Where are you going to start and end? This will depend on how long and how much you want to travel or paddle. Check maps above for mileage and access information. Are you leaving a vehicle at the other end or are you arranging a pick up from a canoe livery etc?
    • Overnight trips-Where are you staying? There are some non posted private beaches where you can stay if respectful and carry out what you bring in or there are some very nice campgrounds that you can paddle to and have the amenities you need, such as outhouses, dumpsters, stores, picnic tables and more. There is a FEE at these campgrounds, again check our website or call for more information.
    • Life vests are required for every person in the boat. 10 years of age and under must wear them!
    • Fire permits are required for sandbars and beaches only. Fires in the woods are not allowed.
    • Make sure you have the necessary fishing licenses and boat registrations. All boats or crafts with motors must be registered and have a milfoil sticker. Make sure all motors and boats are clean to prevent the spread of invasive plants.
    • The amount of alcohol being transported from out of state will be monitored as there are limits. You can not transport more than 1 gal of wine, 1gal spirit, 30 pack of beer per vehicle into Maine. No kegs allowed on the river.
    • Firewood can not be transported from out of state due to the invasive insects that are threatening our trees and spreading in New England.
    • Fireworks are illegal along the Saco River.
    • Parking-areas along the Saco do charge a fee. All money raised in these parking areas go back into the river for cleanup, education, trash removal and law enforcement.
    • Weather and river conditions-always check for the latest weather and river conditions as they can change overnight, heavy rain can cause rising rivers very quickly.
    • Pack accordingly, bring sunscreen, bug repellent and rain gear if necessary.
    • DRIVERS SECURE YOUR KEYS, CLIP TO YOUR CANOE OR KAYAK OR EVEN, SECURED TO YOUR COOLER.
    • Everyone on the trip should know the plan and where the vehicles are left in case you are seperated.
    • Have an emergency phone number written down in your vehicle or in a safe place in case of loss of cell phones!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast