DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR View Post
    I wish Virginia State parks were anywhere near this. Here EVERYTHING is geared towards "campers" and $30 a night! For that price I get to pitch a tent in a "backyard" surrounded by 30 foot RV's with televisions going and music playing. Hammocks are not, to my knowledge allowed. At least at any of the state parks I have checked out.
    Those massive RVs are going to die a rapid death as soon as gas prices hit $10. Campgrounds will eventually be looking at ways to keep revenue coming in.. catering to "primitive" campers will probably become a more common sight.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    Those massive RVs are going to die a rapid death as soon as gas prices hit $10. Campgrounds will eventually be looking at ways to keep revenue coming in.. catering to "primitive" campers will probably become a more common sight.
    You'd think so, but if you can afford to drop as much as my house cost me on an RV, you're probably not losing sleep about gas prices.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Bridge
    Tarp
    ?
    Insulation
    Not sure yet
    Suspension
    ?
    Quote Originally Posted by nsdemon View Post
    ok its official I am starting a petition to get hammock camping rates in state parks in Louisiana, how would i get this done? im tired of the state parks not having a rate for it..make it half of the unimproved rate which is $14 so $7 to hammock camp i think this would be fair. who would like to help get this going?

any ideas how to make this happen?
    Or pay that $14 rate to ensure the park is there every time you want to camp. The money is for a good cause.
    I believe good gets better.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smiler82 View Post
    I had an idea similar to this a while back - a lower fee for 'leave no trace' or 'backcounty' type of camping. Many parks only allow camping in designated areas, and many of these areas are paved or otherwise well trodden. I think more parks should offer backcountry camping permits and offer them at a lower rate...

my 0.02
    I love the Red River Gorge. It's a beautiful area with lots of interesting trails and scenery, and backcountry camping is basically unlimited, outside a few simple rules (No camping in rock shelter's, no fire's with-in 100ft of a cliff wall, no camping with-in 300ft of a cliff wall). Every time I go I pack out a bunch of other peoples trash, and see signs of people ignoring these rules. Just because you use a hammock, doesn't mean you leave no trace - and there's no way to prove that you didn't at the end of your trip.

It's because people in general don't respect the land, that restrictions get put in place to begin with. And that's a hard fix. The true solution, outside of restriction, would be to charge a high price for back-country camping, to discourage those who wont respect the land. Sucks for those of us who do, though.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images
    I wish Virginia State parks were anywhere near this. Here EVERYTHING is geared towards "campers" and $30 a night! For that price I get to pitch a tent in a "backyard" surrounded by 30 foot RV's with televisions going and music playing. Hammocks are not, to my knowledge allowed. At least at any of the state parks I have checked out.
    wow this is bad, hope it changes for you.
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Veries
    Insulation
    arbridge UQ, & OTH
    Suspension
    Cinge Bukles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton View Post
    Here is my take on it.

Bogue Chitto State Park near Franklinton, LA does not have a designated "primitive" camping area. While they do allow tents and tarps and such, campers have to pay the going rate for trailers and RVs because they are using the space. These spaces have tent pads, running water and electric power. We hangers would probably use the water but the electric power might not be in high demand for those hammocking.

Showers and restrooms are available for use and I must admit they would be welcome.

I'd go for a small discount, maybe 10 to 15 percent if I could have access to the facilities and use a more remote a.k.a. "primitive" campsite nearby.

On one trip I was required to reserve a space for a minimum of 2 days / nights. If I am only interested in an overnighter I would like to reserve only what I need.

How to make it happen? Letters, emails and comments voiced at the main gate office to the person(s) in charge. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
    wow that really sucks, what is the rate there? esp bad since i may go camp there one day.
    hang your own hang
    Bayou Serenity

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check into where the admission money goes in your state. In some it may go to the parks and recreation people for upkeep and such. If I understand correctly, here in PA it goes straight into the General Fund cofferrs and rarely, if ever gets sent to theparks from which it came. It's "found money" that can be used to offset deficits in any number of departments that couldn't care less about the parks or natural resources.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Except for a few state parks in NC that do not allow camping, I have not had any problems hanging at any of the NC parks. Same for the camp grounds along the Blue Ridge Parkway which comes under the National Park Service ( they always put me down as a "Tent" camper ).
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Check into the VA parks that specifically offer 'primitive' camping (New River Trail, James River, Sky Meadows, Shenandoah, and False Cape all come to mind)...the worst you'd deal with at those sites would be horses, though they're usually pretty far away, and the rates are lower (between $12-15 a night).

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just from Oregon;
    Several State Park campgrounds charge at least the following;
    $5-7 Hiker/Biker site (parking permit and then you hike everything in)
    $21+ a night for a "Tent site" (OR; a truck spot with a fire pit and a picnic table and possibly a tent pad; NO electrical hook up
    $29 a night for a "Tent site" with hook ups (In other words, RV spots)
    $42 a night for a Yurt (must make reservations 48 hours before)
    this is considered "low end/cheap" compared to some other campgrounds; such as Willamette Mission Park; which charges an exorbitant amount for a Group Tent; at $71 per night for first 25 and then $3 extra per person; OR $5 hiker/biker

Personally; somewhere in between Hiker/Biker and "Tent" site would make sense for hammock campers....

now Federally.....as in National Forests and such, rates are MUCH cheaper, with some sites being FREE! As long as you practice LNT or pack in/pack out (some sites have already built fire pits and such, but are free, as long as you pack in and pack out trash)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast