Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Sheltowee Hammocks
    Tarp
    Big, Retangular
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Question Whats the fascination with zippered bug nets?

Since launching my Sheltowee Boone 40° and 20° hammocks, I've gotten lots of people asking for integrated or zippered bug netting. When I tell them I'm going to roll out with an add on, bug net accessory, one that is fitted like a sock but without a bottom (think also, Fronkey style, but more fitted, and without the cord cinch below), they seem disappointed... The accessory is pretty slick IMHO. It's lightweight, easy in and out with no zippers! and no velcro! and cinches shut with body weight in the hammock. Overlapping sides keeps the flying bugs out, and crawlies? are those really a problem for people?

Why don't I make an insulated hammock with a zippered net?? Personally, bugs are never an issue with me. Backpacking in the Colorado Rockies for over 5 years recently perhaps has spoiled me... but I'm back in the Bluegrass state (born and bred) and its the same story.

I guess if I'd go on some trips in the lowlands of South Carolina or the lakes around Michigan, I'd have an appreciation for total protection via a zippered net. But the few times when bugs are an issue, an attachment or bug net accessory is all I need.

But then again, my style of backpacking is pulling into camp in the late evening when bug activity has died down, and rarely set up camp and hang out (no pun intended) until it's bed time.

What are your thoughts??
    -Alex

Sheltowee Hammocks Feature INTEGRATED UNDERQUILTS! Starting at $224

Step Out Of Your Sheltowee @ www.ShellHammocks.com

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I thought about it and for me the feeling of being zipped in is a security thing. I have and use just a bug head net and have and use a torso net. I just get a different, 'nanny, nanny, boo boo' attitude toward the bugs when I'm all zipped in. I don't think I'm alone on that. Plus it really makes my hammy feel bigger. My integrated net hammies almost always get staked out whereas my open hammocks do not. Just my view.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    A fully sealed bugnet feels more secure from not just bugs, but scorpions, spiders, snakes, etc. (I live in Florida where we have an abundance of these). Also, an integrated bugnet is easier to set up; actually there is no setup. Integrated bugnets are less likely to blow into your face.
    That being said, I mostly use a Fronkey style net.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I know I have found my integrated bug net to be very useful hanging in the Red River Gorge and along various parts of the Sheltowee Trace. It all depends on location, I guess. Low lying areas and bodies of standing water are very common in Central Kentucky and, other than perhaps the winter months, I wouldn't chance hanging un-netted. Since you've already integrated the UQ, which is an uncommon yet innovative approach, I would guess that integrating the bug net would be the next logical step for creating the all-in-one solution.

Maybe an poll of the hangers on this site would provide you the data you need to determine if including the integrated net would bring in potential buyers.

Best of luck to you!

John
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I made my zippered bug net so that it could be rolled back and stored in the foot for those occasions when I didn't have to worry about bugs.

After a few trips I realized that unless I was out there in deep snow, I would always need my bug net.

We have black flies starting within a couple of weeks of ice out on the lakes, they are soon joined by mosquitoes. By the time the black flies are gone we have several species of larger biting flies like deer flies.

The one time in late September I thought I was in a bug free zone I was almost asleep when I heard the drone of a mosquito. Up out of the hammock and setting up the netting in the dark!!...sigh.

Most of the world lives with flying or crawling insects of one sort or another.

And yes, a zippered bug net give me the security of knowing it's closed tight as opposed to one that's just supposed to stay that way on it's own. Kinda like the latch on the screen door I guess.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    I agree with the security point mentioned. I want to see the entire net. As someone who has less of a reaction from a bee than a mosquito this is important.
    There have been many mornings that I've had dobsonflies sitting on my net when I woke. When the net is zipped up I feel confident that they can't get in.

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    In Louisiana we have 2 seasons - more bug season and less bug season....

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I like the look of a zippered bug net but i think that a removable one would be easier to fix or replace, and i am not sure but if it is a season that you need insulation are bugs really an issue?

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    Something mentioned in another similar thread by folks who have taken many trips around the sun was they found sock style bug nets more difficult to get into, especially after visiting nature in the dead of night. Like others have said it's a psychological thing for some. My wife and son would prefer zippered nets because they are convinced the mosquitoes are clever enough to sneak through the bottom of the sock style nets even though they are cinched up tight. I think there is the perception that an integrated bug net is somehow less complex or that sock style nets are "just one more thing" to worry about.

I prefer sock style, but that's all I've ever had. Maybe I'm missing something too?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY CF Asym
    Insulation
    Zpacks HGincubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Can't mozzies get in when you aren't in the hammock with a fronkey? Then you'd have to stay up killing them all while balancing near the suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast