WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Big mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle

2nd try

I'm going to give hammocking a second try this year. Except rather than drop tons of money again I'm going the cheaper route and using a sleeping bag and foam pad. I bought the 1/4" foam pad from GG. what size do you normally cut it down to to make it more manageable to carry in a pack and still useable for insulation? Eventually I'd like to get another UQ if I decide I can make it work, but until then.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    The uq thing continues to be mind boggling for me too. I still don't know how I got my ugc dialed in but I did! I think it's because it's a dull length. As far as a pad goes I can't help you but I hope this bump helps! Hang in there! ( ok bad pun but it works)
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I assume you got the GG wide pad that is about 60"X36" (the size when I got mine many years ago).
    To test how I use mine, try folding it in half (36"LX30"W) and try it as a 3/4 length pad to see how you like that size. Try this for a couple nights prior to deciding.
    What I did was cut the pad in half and use one pad down to about 35F, then use both pads doubled up below 35F (to 22F). I have a HH bottom entry so this works well for that application (insulates shoulders to thighs). For my feet I use a small sit pad inside sleeping bag and a vest/jacket zipped up and pulled over my sleeping bag foot end as needed. I find my legs don't compress the synthetic sleeping bag much thus the extra insulation for legs is only needed below about 35F. My feet do appreciate something extra so I sometimes wear socks and put them both in a single stuff sack (the empty one for the hammock).

Since you had past issues, try just afternoon napping or read a book until you get comfortable with a set-up - don't jump right into a 'must get good nights sleep in a new setting' scenario. It still takes me 2 or 3 nights to really relax into a new environment.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 04-12-2014 at 08:29.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts