Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

OH>Mohican>Apr. 12, 2014>Day Hike (Pic Heavy)

As I was laying in bed Thursday night I decided that I was going to do an overnight at Mohican State Forest on Sat.-Sun. because of the weather report I had just watched. Just after I finished loading my pack Friday evening I was reminded of a family obligation I have Saturday evening. Bummer! I decided to go for the day, strap on the Ohm 2.0 and get trail miles underfoot in the Forest. Here's my pack list for those interested.

I arrived at the Clearfork Gorge Overlook at 7:10 am and took this photo:

Fog on the way to the Forest delayed my arrival and thwarted my attempt to get a pre-dawn photo but I shot this shortly after sunrise from the top of the Firetower:

After climbing down I spoke with a gentleman setting up a watering station for a Trail Run that was being held in the Forest so I abandoned my plans to begin my hike from there and drove down to the Covered Bridge to start from there. On the way a flock of Turkeys, mostly goblers, crossed the road in front of me. It isn't the best photo and I only caught the last few by the time I had my camera in hand but here you go:

After parking at the bridge I strapped on the pack and headed up the Lyons Falls Trail. This is the best time of the year for viewing the 2 Lyons Falls IMO so if you're within driving distance you must come see. Here are a few photos of Big Lyons Falls:

And here are a few photos of Little Lyons Falls:

From there I continued along the trail out to Pleasant Hill Lake & Dam then returned to the bridge via the Pleasant Hill Trail. Unfortunately none of my photos at the lake & dam turned out well. Trail conditions were excellent for the most part and I didn't encounter a soul. The distance covered was approximately 4.5 miles for this portion of the hike.

After a quick snack I hit the Hemlock Gorge Trail. About halfway to the end of the trail, I began encountering trail runners. By the time I made it to the end of the trail and then returned back to the bridge I had made way for 15-16 runners. All either said hello or thanked me for getting out of the way and I greeted each in turn. Trail conditions were wet & muddy but a joy nonetheless. Distance covered was approximately 4.6 miles for this portion of the hike. Here are a few photos of the Clearfork River and the abutting Forest:

Upon returning to the bridge I hit the Hogs Hollow Trail for an out-and-back to the Firetower. I only made it about a mile before the trail was thick with runners so I decided to turn around and call it a day sooner than I had intended. Imagine that, Trail Runner driven from the trail by trail runners. I did manage to get a few photos at least. Here they are:

Over or under? I went over.

Ahh, the Forest and the River. The clean air, the wonderful aromas, the majestic sights. The sounds of the river flowing, the Cardinals & Robins singing, the Ducks quacking, the Geese honking, the Hawk screeching overhead, the Squirrels chirping in alarm at my approach. These are the things I live for and I was granted each in full measure on this perfect Ohio day. May you all soon have a day that equals or betters mine!
    Last edited by Trail Runner; 04-13-2014 at 05:42.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0º Toaster Down UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing. You covered quite a distance for a day hike - I think I would have been exhausted for the drive home.

Cheers

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    DIY 1.1 Sil Hex
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles/Stra
    Great photos! I'm adding this to the short list of places to hike this Spring

Hammock
    wbbb 1.1 dl, Traveler
    Tarp
    wb mamajamba
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    strap
    thanks for sharing
    great pictures.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpine Dad View Post
    Great photos! Thanks for sharing. You covered quite a distance for a day hike - I think I would have been exhausted for the drive home.

Cheers
    Thanks. I wasn't tired but my dogs were barking a bit and my calves were sore on Sunday. To be fair, the trails are mostly flat with only a handful of dicey spots along the river and I know them well.

Quote Originally Posted by dougalcorn View Post
    Great photos! I'm adding this to the short list of places to hike this Spring
    Thanks. The water is usually flowing pretty well over the falls thru mid to late May most years (and after a good rain later) so if you can make the trip I definitely would recommend it. In addition to the trails I hiked there are 3 or 4 or maybe more trails in the park/forest that are more challenging but are also shared-use trails and are either hiking/mountain biking or bridle/hiking trails.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhang View Post
    thanks for sharing
    great pictures.
    Thanks.

• + New Posts