1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Hanging from rocks

Does anyone routinely hang their hammocks from rocks or rock faces, instead of trees? Do you use stopper nuts from a rock climbing supplier, or do you make your own (what & how?) or do you have some other ingenious method you'd like to share?

Images
    you could take few assorted sizes of small stoppers/nuts and/or maybe a few small cams (1" or less) not worth carrying anything bigger than that imo. you could jam an appropriate sized rock in the crack but you'll need to be somewhat more creative and it may take quite a bit of tinkering. you can use a monkey's fist as a stopper if you know how to tie them.

i used to do quite a bit of climbing a few years back. i think i've only hung from rock twice. i think once i had some gear and another time i slung the top of a small boulder with a double shoulder length runner.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks, Roadtorque. I think I like warbonnet's suggestion of trying to jam some rocks into a crack as a stop. At least I'd prefer that over the weight of a cam or multiple sized nuts in my pack. (Yes, I'm a gram weenie). If that doesn't work, it's back to the ground.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    Thanks, Roadtorque. I think I like warbonnet's suggestion of trying to jam some rocks into a crack as a stop. At least I'd prefer that over the weight of a cam or multiple sized nuts in my pack. (Yes, I'm a gram weenie). If that doesn't work, it's back to the ground.
    good luck, that's definately the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    A consideration is how you expect to get a small jam nut OUT after you're done. It will have seen a lot of force and dynamics over the course of a night. A rock, on the other hand, can just stay there.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    I like the Monkey Fist idea. It's not a super tough knot to learn, and can be handy to know it a variety of situations. It makes it a little easier to hang a bear bag, although there are other options for that as well.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Coast Guard taught me to hate monkey fists. I made a similar promise when I left the Coast Guard as I did when I left college and swore I'd never eat another Ramen noodle as long as I breathed; probably the only guy on the AT that never carried those things.

I've been on a mission to accomplish this type of hang. I've played with an assortment of climbing gear, thanks to my rock-head friends. I've also taken a stone and wrapped it in webbing (lazy monkey fist) and jammed that in a crack. Long, long, long lengths of webbing have been used too. I initially wanted to go with the gear (see: Cannibal is a gearhead), but the later two methods have proven easier. Problem with jamming it in a crack and hanging overnight is wear on the webbing. I've got some pretty heavy duty webbing I used and it shows some surface abrasion after about 3 nights.

I will be bringing back a picture of me in my hammock on top of 14er. Oh yes, I will be.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I have done this a few times in the past used 1" cams to hang from rocks nothing radical or anything just new that I was going to be in area's that had poor choice of tree's and a better choice of rock faces and broken boulders. Just remember if you are going to hang from rocks or near rocks they are great in the winter as they usually hold heat for long periods of time. But this can be the same in the summer and also make it very warm to lay around. That said I have had shade on one side much earlier and was able to cool off in a spring and slept very peaceful.

Edit: I like black diamonds for this http://www.rei.com/product/718303

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    11.5 by 10 DRW
    Insulation
    diy conversion uq
    Suspension
    webing+ cord
    Images
    Ive read that rock climbers when climbing huge cliffs that take more than one day oftan use hammocks but i don't know for sure and I don't know what they use to hold it probubly similar things to what you use when lead climbing.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast