dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Smile TrickTarp ... 6 oz, $10

Being the frugal, gram counter, gear engineer that I am ...

How's 192 grams sound? For a "bridge" Mock? ( Mock = 6 foot with 30 inch and 15 inch spreader bars, dbl bottom allows pad and strength, 406 grams total including tree straps ) 6 foot because I like my feet to hang over the end thus no heel pressure ...

Back to the Tarp ...
    192 gr - 6.4 oz - 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 feet - see thru in daylite - cat cut with 3 stakes each side to better adjust for inclement weather - less than $10

Deawbacks? A bit noisy in driving/downpour rains: a bit fragile: must fold/roll, rather than "stuff": Glue on tape will eventually fail.

Here's how you do it ... Two mylar "Space" blankets taped together. Cut the shape desired. Reinforce the perimiter with tape. Reinforce the pull-outs with "duct" tape. PRESTO ... Yo'Tarp

dp
    ps: If one of you will share how one posts pix, I'll do it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dplant View Post

- Click the 'Post Reply' button at the lower left of this thread
    - Type your post in the text box presented
    - Scroll down and click the 'Manage Attachements' button
    - Select up to 10 images using the list of 'Browse' buttons presented
    - Click the 'Upload' button at the bottom
    - Close the attachment window when it finishes
    - Click 'Submit Reply' button

That may sound complicated, but it's very simple after you've done it once..
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com
    Angry ...
    Thanks for the PixPostProceedure
    Here goes ...
    dp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ???
    Insulation
    ???
    While it doesn't look bad, and is certainly light weight, I would be hesitant to trust it not to fail. How well does it handle heavy rain or high winds?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Mylar is pretty tough stuff until it gets breached. My concern would be pine cones or acorns or hail stones hitting it with sufficient force to put a hole in it. From there I would be concerned about it shredding. but for "fair weather" camping looks great.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    After my little drive through the desert this weekend, I'm thinking about incorporating this kind of a design into my gear bag. Be nice to sleep under during the hot of the day with all those nasty heat beams being sent back where they belong...away from me!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Being the frugal, gram counter, gear engineer that I am ...

How's 192 grams sound? For a "bridge" Mock? ( Mock = 6 foot with 30 inch and 15 inch spreader bars, dbl bottom allows pad and strength, 406 grams total including tree straps ) 6 foot because I like my feet to hang over the end thus no heel pressure ...

Back to the Tarp ...
    192 gr - 6.4 oz - 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 feet - see thru in daylite - cat cut with 3 stakes each side to better adjust for inclement weather - less than $10

Deawbacks? A bit noisy in driving/downpour rains: a bit fragile: must fold/roll, rather than "stuff": Glue on tape will eventually fail.

Here's how you do it ... Two mylar "Space" blankets taped together. Cut the shape desired. Reinforce the perimiter with tape. Reinforce the pull-outs with "duct" tape. PRESTO ... Yo'Tarp

dp
    oops nevermind
    Last edited by texron; 06-29-2009 at 20:51. Reason: I'm a dork

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Red face

All ...
    Stop the presses ...!
    Another ultra-light item gone bad ...

I was rigging the Space Blanket Tarp ultra low due to it's small size ( 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 ) which necessitates initially rigging my Bridge hammock nearly against the tarp due to a Bridge's sag/drop after entering. When I entered the hammock the foot spreader bar tilted and punched a hole in the Space Blanket Tarp. From there it was "over".

The Space Blanket mylar has pretty good tensil strength but once it is torn, it rips as easy as melting butter. I've made many light weight backpacking items and this one was the most fragile yet.

So, have any of you any experience with Cuben or Spinntex tarps? I'm not wanting to spend up to $25 a yard and have it quickly fail. I guess it is hard to beat a sil-nylon tarp for value.

Sorry for my hype, but I got excited with how easy and inexpensive it was to put together the Space Blanket Tarp.

dp

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I hope you'll forgive me, but I was waiting for that post to show up...

I don't have a tarp from Cuben or Spinntex... yet. But there are a few folks here who do, and some have seen some serious wear (large branch falling on tarp) - they seem to hold up very well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cuben might be a bit noisy (though, certainly no more than a space blanket tarp). Spinn should be stronger than silnylon. And they're both much more water"proof" than silnylon.

I think you'd be very pleased with either Cuben or Spinn.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    So, have any of you any experience with Cuben or Spinntex tarps? I'm not wanting to spend up to $25 a yard and have it quickly fail.
    I love my Spinn tarp. It has been a rock solid addition to my gear collection. I don't have a clue how many nights I've got on it, but "a lot" seems to work OK for me. However, I don't use a Bridge so I can't comment on how they would handle repeated 'pokes' or rubbing from the spreader bars. My guess would be it would do fine, but I'd hate to say for sure and be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    I don't have a tarp from Cuben or Spinntex... yet. But there are a few folks here who do, and some have seen some serious wear (large branch falling on tarp) - they seem to hold up very well.
    That would be be at Trail Days 08. I've even got a witness in Nest. It was the longest few seconds in my life watching that limb fall and knowing what it was going to hit but not being able to do anything about it. Bounced off the Spinn like it was a trampoline and left absolutely no mark. Love that stuff!
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast