Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    None yet, but hopefully soon!

Hypothetical Gear Ideas

So, I love thinking about hypothetical gear that could be made, and I wonder if anyone has ever sewn with emergency blankets/heat reflective material? I'm thinking something for winter hanging, maybe sewing this material into tarp construction as a way to keep rising heat in the immediate area? I know some people incorporate it into the bottom layer - I've seen pads for instance, that have reflectix (or whatever it's called) on one side - but what about the top layer to trap heat? Same sort of idea as a hot tent in a way, creating a small area to trap and contain body heat. Especially because the tarp would probably be pitched down closer to the hammock in colder weather.

Of course there would be a weight penalty, but I figure it would be minimal, and the material itself isn't so delicate as to make this unfathomable...

Just some fun food for thought on a rainy city day

NB: maybe this idea is crazy for a reason I haven't thought of yet - I've admittedly had a few nips of scotch that I got today as a b-day present from a coworker!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    In my first winter UQ, I sewed a cheap-o space blanket inside the inner shell, and with 2 layers of low-loft quilt batting, got down to about 15F comfortably. It's seen 2 winters, and probably a dozen outings, and I'm pretty sure there are a few places where my tacks have started tearing through, but it's still nice and warm, even if it does weight a ton. I imagine if I had used a quality space blanket, it would be perfectly fine for many seasons.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I was thinking about making a tarp from this stuff and using a spray on DWR. Would essentially work the same as you're proposing in theory.

Not sure if we're great minds, or just equally insane...of course the line between greatness and insanity is often blurry.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Happy B-day red! If it was a GOOD friend, it'd be a nice single-malt!

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I was thinking about making a tarp from this stuff and using a spray on DWR. Would essentially work the same as you're proposing in theory.

Not sure if we're great minds, or just equally insane...of course the line between greatness and insanity is often blurry.
    So, if this stuff reflects heat, would it make sense as a TARP?

Or, make it the top of a hammock sock with a stripe of DWR for breathability?

Red: There's a nonwoven item called Insul-Brite which is a polyester scrim needle-punched to a space blanket. It's pretty warm, but not compressible...
    $6/yd at walmart... I have a TQ made of this, some cheap batting, fleece inner and ripstop outer.

Works great for 3-season car camping down to about 40 degrees.

"Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    My only concern with using if to make a winter sock is the lack of breath-ability. I worry that more than Papa Smurf's leaving the head end opened a little would be needed. If so then it might end up causing the hanger to become even colder than without it.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Hammock
    @Cat: woah, I saw that the other day when I was browsing materials on that site, but to be honest didn't read the bit about heat reflection. That is definitely worth trying, especially because it's only on one side. If it gets too hot, flip that puppy over! I wonder how the wear is on that coating.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    My only concern with using if to make a winter sock is the lack of breath-ability. I worry that more than Papa Smurf's leaving the head end opened a little would be needed. If so then it might end up causing the hanger to become even colder than without it.
    That's what I originally thought, but I was thinking a 12" wide stripe of non-calendared highly breathable fabric down the top middle of the sock, stripes of this on the side, and breathable underneath. I'd definitely be a humidity catcher, but in low-humidity winter it might add more warmth than a normal sock...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you used it in a side entry style winter sock, then you could vent easier if things started to feel damp inside.

You could even make a winter sock with the sides shock corded like HangnOut's zipper less bug net. This may be sufficient to allow just enough heat and moisture to escape through the top to keep things dry. And if things started to get too damp you could lower one side and hook it under the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Since we're talking hypothetical gear...

An idea I had was to use an asym piece of aluminized ripstop on the top of a side enter sock specifically for a WBBB, a rectangular piece of Insult-brite on the bottom of the sock, and non-calendared nylon in between as it were.

This will surround the body with heat reflective material as well as provide breatability; specifically at the foot and head ends where it is most needed. The overhead diamond would be large and is not breathable, to retain some moisture in the air and therefore heat. The Insul-brite is maybe 50% breathable and would need to he layered inside the breathable nylon. There would also be a differential cut "channel" of sorts to hang your UQ through with an outer layer of DWR nylon; for splash-up .

I've been specifically designing this for a WBBB but it can be adapted to most any side entry hammock.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 09-29-2011 at 16:30. Reason: typoliolio
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    I have to read up on this vapour barrier thing. I understand it only in a really rudimentary way. But keep the hypothetical/dream gear ideas coming!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast