Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    There is no phone reception where we were, but we walked to the beach, and stood on a picnic table to get reception. :-). At that time (10:45pm) it was 2C. Not sure just how much lower it went.
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Wow. I am wiped out. All that firewood processing and walking around last night did me in.
    As Old n Slow said, t'was a grand night. It was an absolute pleasure to have like minded company ( I hope my indulgence in libations didn't taint your opinion of me), and someone to share my setup with. I am writing a full trip report which will include all of my pictures and such.
    As for the temps, last night was warmer than Tuesday for sure. I had frost cover on everything that night. I can't remember too much about last night other than chatting with Old n Slow and then getting lost out by the sewage lagoons. There is something interesting going on out there.
    Anyhow, thanks for letting me convince you, and in turn thanks for convincing your wife. I look forward to the next group hang.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Awe shucks. a little libation around the fire is my idea of camping. No problems. I also look forward to having a bunch of us like minded hammock hangers in a group. We will blow the ground dweller's minds.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think a few were blown on this outing. I received a few stares as passers by used the path behind my setup. Nobody stopped to talk though, and I ain't that scary looking.
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    OH, I don't know, you long haired cammo wearing hippie Nah, they just couldn't believe anyone sleeping in anything less than a 30 foot trailer or motorhome.

So much for the pioneer spirit in Edmonton.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lol

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here's something that would be cool to do. There is a trail called the Waskahegan. It runs south from Fort Sask, through Edmonton and down to Wetaskawin. From there it winds east to Camrose, then turns north and snakes through Miquelon, Ministik and returns to Fort Sask. I have not done a lot of research yet, but I think it would be neat to hike it.
    It is still only a thought, and I know that a couple of years of planning would go into something like this. We would need permission to travel certain parts, and would have to set up caches in advance.
    Like I said, it is only an idea, but it would be an adventure to say the least.

**EDIT***
    I found out that there is an association dedicated to the maintenance and protection of the WT. I have emailed them to get a bit more info about the trail itself. I have also signed up to become a member, doing so entitles me to a guide book which contains maps and use of the full 309 km trail. I hope to hear back from them in a couple of days.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 05-09-2014 at 14:53.

Sounds like a great plan. I've looked at the waskahegan a lot but have never signed up as a member. The library downtown has a copy of their guidebook and I've leafed through it. It seems like the trail is more set up for a series of dayhikes than for overnighting. But there are definitely overnight locations.

I've been meaning to sign up as a member to get the guidebook. Knowing that this might be in the works is enough to get me off my butt on this.

And rather than doing the whole thing in one shot, maybe some "section hikes" exist. It would help us build up some knowledge before the full thru hike.

Good idea!

mike.

One more thing - there's also the Ironhorse Trail at http://www.ironhorsetrail.ca. It's an old rail line that was pulled out and replaced with trail. However, it looks like it's more for horses and snowmobiles. The parts I've looked at on Google Maps seem really exposed. It's also hard to find out any information about overnighting. But I haven't actually gone to check it out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have hiked the section through Ministik several times. I have placed three geocaches along it.
    Also, you have to mail in your sign up sheet with twenty bucks, the WTA no longer accepts online registration. I may for go this for a bit, and photocopy the importants out of the guide book.
    But as for the hike, section hikes would be a good idea, and members have full access to the parts of the trail that are on private property.
    Last edited by snidetripod; 05-09-2014 at 17:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast