Thread: Hello everyone

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post

What specificaly make the Blackbird more comfortable than a compareable model from Clark, HH, Claytor (thanks for the suggestion smithobr) etc.

Is it the way you sleep in it?
    Yes and no.

I can't predict what you will like or dislike about any hammock. I can tell you that I picked up a HH and was comfortable - relative to the tent I used to have, I was in paradise. Then I picked up the Blackbird and sold the HH. I'm claustrophobic and prefer the perceived roominess of the BB. The bugnet hangs higher than the HH ULB I had. The BB has a different way of providing flatness - rather than being asymmetrical it has a footbox. I like the shelf, the full length zipper, and the tie outs. I like that I don't get my socks stuck to the velcro on the way out anymore like on the HH. I like the straps instead of tying the HH figure eight.

But those are my likes, and you may decide the Clark is better for you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiverDn View Post
    What specificaly make the Blackbird more comfortable than a compareable model from Clark, HH, Claytor (thanks for the suggestion smithobr) etc.

Is it the way you sleep in it?l
    lori said it well. One can't really compare a Clark or Claytor to a Blackbird, or any Warbonnet hammock for that matter. The Clarks and Claytors are, by comparison, very narrow hammocks. As far as I can tell from my own experiments they excel most when hung tight. You can not get anywhere near as diagonal in them as you can a BB. Not to say they are less comfortable, but this is where preferences come into play. The BBs provide a more flat lay than either of those hammocks and are substantially lighter. However, the Clarks have a couple of really nice features built-in, like the weathershield (I'm a bit of a fan of that) and they come complete with a tarp too. Arguments can me made for and against their stock tarps, but I believe them to be quite adequate and in many ways very functional in all elements.

I own two Claytors, but do not really care for the lay of them. I've slept quite well in them, as well as a couple of Clarks, but the BB wins hands-down IMO on comfort. But, as always, opinions they do a vary!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Bombdiggity View Post
    hey welcome to the forums and if you have everything else I would probably get a black bird. But I personally use a modified eno and really like it but many feel differently.
    Thanks for the welcome bombdiggity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    hmmm...wonder what to get. I've a long history of buying cheap, learning, and then buying right. You are budgeted for 200 bucks. Get a dang blackbird (BB to everyone else) and forget the tarp. If its raining, you already aren't having having fun on the moto, you're soaking wet and campoing out won't dry you. The BB will make you happy on a dry and warm night. Buy a cheap closed cell pad (CCP) and you're warm. You'll end up with an underquilt (UQ). Finally, buy a tarp and you can be warm and dry. Moto $12000. Hammock set up, priceless. Just buy a great hammock to start with and nature will take its course...
    I agree sailor, I try to buy right the first time, that's why I take so much time researching. I'm just worried I won't like sleeping in a hammock or won't use it much. I wish I had $12000 for a moto, I would have a BMW if I did. I just have a cheap ole Suzuki.

Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    Yes and no.

I can't predict what you will like or dislike about any hammock. I can tell you that I picked up a HH and was comfortable - relative to the tent I used to have, I was in paradise. Then I picked up the Blackbird and sold the HH. I'm claustrophobic and prefer the perceived roominess of the BB. The bugnet hangs higher than the HH ULB I had. The BB has a different way of providing flatness - rather than being asymmetrical it has a footbox. I like the shelf, the full length zipper, and the tie outs. I like that I don't get my socks stuck to the velcro on the way out anymore like on the HH. I like the straps instead of tying the HH figure eight.

But those are my likes, and you may decide the Clark is better for you.
    Thanks for the hints, I doubt I can convince myself to spend the money for a Clark when other hammocks get good reviews for half the price. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are well built, but that's a lot for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    lori said it well. One can't really compare a Clark or Claytor to a Blackbird, or any Warbonnet hammock for that matter. The Clarks and Claytors are, by comparison, very narrow hammocks. As far as I can tell from my own experiments they excel most when hung tight. You can not get anywhere near as diagonal in them as you can a BB. Not to say they are less comfortable, but this is where preferences come into play. The BBs provide a more flat lay than either of those hammocks and are substantially lighter. However, the Clarks have a couple of really nice features built-in, like the weathershield (I'm a bit of a fan of that) and they come complete with a tarp too. Arguments can me made for and against their stock tarps, but I believe them to be quite adequate and in many ways very functional in all elements.

I own two Claytors, but do not really care for the lay of them. I've slept quite well in them, as well as a couple of Clarks, but the BB wins hands-down IMO on comfort. But, as always, opinions they do a vary!
    Thanks again cannibal!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Hi and welcome to the forum, John!

If I were starting over, and knew what I know now, I would shoot for the Blackbird. You can always go with an inexpensive tarp for now, and replace that later on. (Once the addiction really kicks in)

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    and the the best part if for any reason your not happy with your hammock , chances are yyou could sell it here in under 4 hrs and walk away not losing a penny, and if its a blackbird your selling give it seconds and its sold
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I use a Hennessy and am very happy with it. It's probably the most commonly purchased camping hammock.

Were I to start over from scratch I'd go with the Blackbird. Simply because so many on the forum who've used other hammocks choose the BB.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum, John!

If I were starting over, and knew what I know now, I would shoot for the Blackbird. You can always go with an inexpensive tarp for now, and replace that later on. (Once the addiction really kicks in)
    Perkolady - thanks for the welcome

Quote Originally Posted by kayaknut01 View Post
    and the the best part if for any reason your not happy with your hammock , chances are yyou could sell it here in under 4 hrs and walk away not losing a penny, and if its a blackbird your selling give it seconds and its sold
    kayaknut01 - that thought has crossed my mind. I have been watching the for sale area and good hammocks don't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I use a Hennessy and am very happy with it. It's probably the most commonly purchased camping hammock.

Were I to start over from scratch I'd go with the Blackbird. Simply because so many on the forum who've used other hammocks choose the BB.
    Knotty - there does seem to be a lot of satisfied customers with the Blackbird. That says a lot for Warbonnet.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cooke Custom Sew
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahgirl View Post
    Welcome to the forum John!!!!
    Sarahgirl - I was looking at the section of the forum that talks about different gatherings and noticed you were part of the Wis gathering.

I also noticed that you are practically my neighbor. I live in Waukee and my Dad and I come to Van Meter for tenderloins all the time.

It's a small world.

John

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12