Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS

WBXLC vs. WBRR - which would you choose, and why?

My Backstory:
    I purchased the original WBBB last year and was a little disappointed in it for a couple of reasons:

- I've got pretty big/broad shoulders. I'm 6'2, 220 lbs, and I kept waking up with a really bad "shoulder squeeze" feeling every night - which was extremely uncomfortable, and pretty much ruined the night for me.

- I was never able to find the right hanging position. I tried several different elevations, variations and distances between trees (with the foot end 1 foot above the head end - as suggested), and could never find the sweet spot. I got really frustrated with how difficult it was to get right.

My previous hammock was a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe (which I honestly had a pretty good experience with), but every night I've spent in my WBBB has produced an epicly horrible night's sleep, where I woke up feeling like I was on death's doorstep. On the same coin... I know that everybody raves about their Warbonnet hammocks, which leads me to believe that I must be doing something wrong. My guess is that I just don't have the right hammock for me, and I've heard others suggest that both the WBXLC and the WBRR would be better options (and they're probably right).

My Dilemma:
    I've researched both hammocks pretty thoroughly and I have a solid understanding of the pros and cons of both hammocks (specifically, the Double Layer 1.1 XLC and the Double Layer Ridgerunner). It seems like either of them could be a viable option for me - but I seriously cannot make a decision.

My Request:
    I want to get some honest feedback from those of you who have tried BOTH of these hammocks (not sure how many of you are out there). If you had to decide between the two, which one of these hammocks would you choose and why? I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly about BOTH of these options.
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    depends on season
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had issues with my BB as well. I had calf pain and shoulder squeeze. I moved to an 11 foot gathered end and it solved my problems. I also just recently got a ridge runner and I love it. No shoulder squeeze at all. And as a side/stomach sleeper it is awesome. If there's anyone in your Area with a ridge runner try it first. There have been some that don't like bridges.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I like my new XLC....as compared to the BB's I have.
    However, a RR is a different animal. I tried some out at some of the group hangs. But decided to stay gathered-end.
    If you are a stomach sleeper, the RR might be a better choice. I have found less calf pressure with the XLC with no fiddling at all.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I like my new XLC....as compared to the BB's I have.
    However, a RR is a different animal. I tried some out at some of the group hangs. But decided to stay gathered-end.
    If you are a stomach sleeper, the RR might be a better choice. I have found less calf pressure with the XLC with no fiddling at all.
    Thanks for your feedback. What was/were the key reason(s) you decided to stick with the xlc over the RR?
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ CUSTOM HANGER
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    DUTCH CB/CUSTOM
    Just got my XLC today, take note I would get double layer 1.1 if you are going to go that light. 5'11 220 and the double feels pretty stretchy. Went with the 1.1 to get the brown but I may order a 1.7 double just to firm up my bed.
    The thing about the XLC is lots of variables come into play in getting comfy. It took some fiddling , head height, foot height , hang angle , tension, distance from tree from head and foot. laying near the head down in the middle you get the idea.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I've had a BB, XLC & RR.
    While I really liked the RR and how the UQ fit it (zero fiddle factor), it just wasn't for me. My issue is one of the positions I sleep in is the fetal position and when I tried this, my knees weren't comfortable. They hit the side of the RR.
    If I could sleep on my back all night, or on my side with my legs straight(ish), I'd still have the RR.

I found the XLC had a larger "sweet" spot than the BB. I've had little to no calf pressure.
    With that said, I never experienced the shoulder squeeze in either the BB or XLC, so I can't speak to one over the other in that regard.

Now that I've said all that, I'd recommend finding a group hang. They typically have different hammocks & you can learn a lot in a short amount of time. And somebody is usually nice enough to let you try theirs.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I have both. I am sleeping nightly in the RR. I don't foresee parting with the BB XLC though. Huge sweet spot, as mentioned above. Both super comfy on the back and side sleeping. If you said I could only have one, I would tell you to pound sand. Tarp usage with spreader bars is a bit more creative, but if you get it dialed in it is not a challenge.

Honestly, using my Exped down mat in the RR has me at maximum comfort. The pad really raises me up a bit and flattens the lay even more.

I have both, socks for both, all season options. I'm happy with both!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I only have the Blackbird and the Ridgerunner - I have not used an XLC, yet. The one thing I can say is, that the Blackbird *is* difficult to hang. When hung right, it is my most comfortable hammock. Or at least the one that provides the flattest lay. However, it took me a while to get the hang dialled in (to my needs), and if I don't get to use it regularly, I sometimes forget how to hang it right. My issues were only with the calf ridge, though. I never had any kind of shoulder squeeze. But I'm small.

How often and where have you been using your Blackbird? I found that I need two trees or posts, or anything that allows me to slide the suspension up and down until I have found the sweet spot. When I try hanging it from fixed attachment spots (e.g. eye pad in the house), I never get it right.

I agree with rhjanes; if you can, go to a group hang. Somebody there might be able to help you with your Blackbird. Somehow I don't think, that a longer hammock will help with shoulder squeeze. It's usually good to eliminate calf ridges, though.

Although the Ridgerunner provides a very flat lay, I had trouble with back pain. I don't have big shoulders and used the spreader bar extension, but somehow my shoulders got squeezed. I was told that I should try a pad, but haven't gotten around to it, yet. It also doesn't feel like a hammock; if you like the "cradled" feeling, bridge hammocks might not be for you.

If the Hennessy worked for you, why don't you revert to it? Not every hammock works for everybody. Maybe also consider a hammock from a different maker. If you want to stick with integrated netting, you could try Dream Hammocks. But there are quite a few other brands. The only draw-back is, that non-Warbonnet hammocks have no shelf, which is a big draw-back for me. Ridgeline organizers are just not the same.

If you want to give Warbonnet another try and cannot decide, you could simply order both and test them. The last time I checked, Warbonnet had a generous return policy. You would only be out of the return shipping costs, but would have peace of mind that you got the hammock that fits you best.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
    Thanks for your feedback. What was/were the key reason(s) you decided to stick with the xlc over the RR?
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I never owned a RR (Bridge type) hammock. I tried them out at some group hangs. they are comfortable. But I like the feeling of "I am IN this" (cradled). the "swing" factor on the bridges also UN-nerved me. when I went to roll over, awake and trying out a bridge, I felt like I was going to flip out. The great folks who let me try theirs out (I tried several bridges, on two occasions) all told me it was a "you get used to that" factor.
    If there isn't anyone near you with a bridge (there is a google "where are you" map on here some place), or a group hang, consider, if you can, buying a used bridge here. Then you can set them both up, try them both, side by side even. take your time. Decide what you like and sell the other. You might "loose" $20 on postage, but you'd know.

On the differences on the 1.1 DL BB and the 1.1 DL XLC, I seem more comfortable on my side in the XLC.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS
    Thanks for all of your replies thus far - this is quite helpful for my decision-making process!

I think I'm leaning towards the XLC now (based on all of your comments), with my only question being the shoulder squeeze factor - as I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not, and I probably won't know until I try it for a night. I have thought about buying both and giving both of them a good shot, but it's a challenge getting the wife to let me buy ONE let alone two.

I was curious - I also wanted to buy the Yeti underquilt, but I'm not sure if this would work very well (if at all) with the Ridge Runner (if I were to change gears and go with the RR in the end). Have any of you had experience trying to make the Yeti underquilt work with the WBRR?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast