Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images

Need Help

Ok, I have never used a hammock. I would like to ask a few specific questions, and am in need of some help.

1). Where do I start. I live in Indiana and there isnt anyone carrying hammocks except hammock bliss and eno.. but still how do you try one out.

2). Concerning the colder weather, How low can you go befor adding a CCF pad or underquilt, (in general), and specifically concerning a HH or a Clark Ultralight.

3). All of you that are experienced, if you could go back now, what would you do differently... I have already spent a ton on this addiction of mine with other gear, and it is starting to get ridiculous

thank you for all your help

DBD

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    check Indiana on the google map... I happen to know there are several members in IN who could probably set up just about any kind og hammock you might be interested in seeing... laying in. Don't be bashful...

Best to check them out in person if possible.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Also check out this thread for help putting together your first hammock system. Welcome to Hammock Forums.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    1. The single best thing you can do is attend a group hang. There you'll see many options.

2. You'll need insulation below you if the temp is below 70F.

I entered the hammock world this year by getting a HH Explorer Deluxe and Super Shelter. The SS is a bit flaky, but I've been good down to mid-30's. I didn't attend a group hang until after buying it. Still I'm happy with the purchase. The Warbonnet Blackbird seems to be the hammock du jour. Might cost you more initially, but most everyone seems to love it.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    3). All of you that are experienced, if you could go back now, what would you do differently... I have already spent a ton on this addiction of mine with other gear, and it is starting to get ridiculous

thank you for all your help

DBD
    I would never have paid attention the link to this place that was given to me. That's the only thing that may have saved me from this life of hammocks. Spending money, HA, you ain't seen nothin yet. It only gets worse from here.

Seriously, I can't think of anything I would have done differently. I went right through the paces; cheap hammock, pads, tarps, more expensive hammocks, more tarps, DIY projects, underquilts, topquilts, more hammocks, more tarps, etc, etc, etc. I just kept 'upgrading' as I went along. My only mistake was not selling the stuff I graduated from...I'm kinda greedy in that way.

In answer to your other questions; just follow the forum hangouts. Eventually one will be close enough for you to attend. The nice folks around here are always very happy to let you try-out their stuff. We are a proud people. I'd say about 65F is as cool as most can go before they require something under them.

Welcome to the addiction, there is no hope.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you can sew a bit .... make your own. Go to JustJeff's site http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    everything you will need to know is there. It is where I started .... and it continues!
    ALSO .... I would do nothing differently ..... the learning process is fun and educational and in my opinion .... the only way to come up with your system. Trial and error. Ying and Yang. Up and Down. In and Out and so on....
    Fun you shall have.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Zeti UQ & WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I can sew, but I know I couldn't make a hammock as good as my Warbonnet Blackbird. It is worth every penny. I shoulda started there!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    I can sew, but I know I couldn't make a hammock as good as my Warbonnet Blackbird. It is worth every penny. I shoulda started there!
    But, would you have appreciated it as much if you didn't have some time spent in, shall we say, lesser hammocks?
    Kinda like life. One real close near death experience is the best way to appreciate how good it is when we're breathing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Winter Dream Vs. 2
    Insulation
    Yeti 3 Season
    Suspension
    Whoopie w/ Biner
    Images
    WOW, thank you guys for all the info... I will try to get to a hang soon, and i have visited Jeff's site and thought about it, but i have no skills, no machine, and I love buying gear..

Thank you all, I will keep asking questions and keep you updated on the gear I chose...

DBD

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    My local outfitters also sold ENO, So my 1st Hammock was an ENO double. I thought If I didn't like to sleep in it I knew I could take it to the lake and lay around in it... The 1st 3 nights I used it I was hooked. I have the WB BB and the ENO and I like them both and will end up with more I'm sure... I just sold my Tarptent,,, won't be useing it anymore...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast