DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...

1,000th contribution

So, as you can see from the title, this is my 1,000th post. While I am sure there will be more, I thought I would pass down some things I have learned over the last 2 years or so, since first finding Shug's videos.

Like most these days, I found hammock camping through Shug on youtube while researching lightweight camping. I found out that there was a forum dedicated to this style of camping and that most that try it are immediately addicted. So I decided to give it a shot.

I started with DIY gear. First the hammock. I went to hancock, grabbed 4 yards of adventure and off to the nearby tailor shop. (didn't have a sewing machine) Then it was a DIY underquilt, so I followed dejoha's instructions for a no-sew pluq, which later turned into the sew-em-up version along with a p/l topquilt which was used on my second trip as a supplmental stuffing for my uq with a 30degree syn bag topquilt (it was really cold for the gear I had) and a fleece blanket as an overcover (draped over my ridgeline of my hammock for extra warmth). I was cold most of the night but I survived. I believe the low was around 32.

Fast forward 2 years, I now own a BIAS WWM 64" model, my DIY still, and will have and XLC in a couple of days ( I hope).

First lesson to teach:

Anything you have will work to get you off the ground. A cheap a$$ poly tarp, a pad, hammock (regardles of type), and a sleeping bag. These things are necessity for being a hammocker, but brands, types, and accesories do not matter until you know its for you.

Second lesson:

Your first setup is the hardest to get rid of. While I love my BIAS hammock, it would be waaay easier to part with it than my first. I still have my really heavy suspension (6mm tech line from rei) that I can't part with from that first setup. My first tarp, wait for it, was a 12x12 canopy wall that was waterproof, which measured 12'x6'. I repurposed it this spring into a 10x6 cat cut minimalist hex tarp.

Third and final lesson: Once in to this hobby for a while, the temptation to lighten up will haunt your dreams. (while in your hammock fulltime) Like I said, I love everything I have, but I am dying to lighten my load. I bought dutchware and a cf hex with doors over black friday. I look forward to backpacking trips, but living on a small island like Guam, backpacking for more than a whack into the jungle for an overnight is all but a dream. With that being said I have a much lighter load than most due to the fact it never drops below 75 here, anything more than a tq is overkill.

Ok, fourth lesson: ( I lied, sue me) This forum is by far the best, most wholesome place on the internet to find like minded people that I have ever found. I try to post mostly helpful comments, which is why I believe it has taken me such time to reach 1000 posts. I don't think that there is a safer place to be chatting it up with people on the interwebs.

So here is a special thank you to all who have helped me along the way (starting with Shug but not limited to JustJeff, dejoha, Grizzly, papsmurf, fronkey, and any others that have molded me into this group and welcomed me as a part of their own kind. Thank you hammock forums for continuing to be a great place to hang out.

Over and out from Guam, wishing you all a wonderful and happy holiday season. You are all family to me.

Merry christmas to all!
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, WWM
    Tarp
    HG, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG, Foyle
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Merry Christmas Fish! and congrats on the milestone.
    Last edited by Rockcreek; 12-22-2013 at 05:28. Reason: spelt Christmas wrong

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    +1 on the "Family" aspect here on HF, Fish <><! I also find this 'in it together' atmosphere to be true on the BushcraftUSA forum.....so I have 2 great groups of folks sharing their passions! Congrats on the 1000 post milestone & have a happy hangin' holiday season!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Congrats on yer HF milestone Fish! Your second trip sounds alot like mine, all the way down to the fleece over the ridgeline. Hope our paths cross someday!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-pod bob View Post
    +1 on the "Family" aspect here on HF, Fish <><! I also find this 'in it together' atmosphere to be true on the BushcraftUSA forum.....so I have 2 great groups of folks sharing their passions! Congrats on the 1000 post milestone & have a happy hangin' holiday season!
    Well I might have to plop on over there and see what's cracking. I am a closet bushcraft guy...guess I'm out of the closet now...

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    Congrats on yer HF milestone Fish! Your second trip sounds alot like mine, all the way down to the fleece over the ridgeline. Hope our paths cross someday!
    I have been thinking of making a trip to Ohio one day. I've never been, so once I do go that way, I'll give ya a holler. I ain't bringin' no fleece blanket though.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Cuben fiber +doors
    Insulation
    Muticam UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps

Congrats

And I agree! We tree dwellers are awesome!
    And I cant get rid of my My first hammock!
    For me its a DD hammock DL
    and the droping wieght does hunt my dreams..lol
    Just droped my golite down parka 1lb to MHW ghost whisper hood 7oz
    Congrats again on your 1000th post and may the odds be ever in your favor
    .,====,_o00o
    //__l_l_,\____\,__ Jeep Life! +
    l_---\_l__l---[]lllllll[] Hammock Life = Awesome !
    _(o)_)__(o)_)-(o-)_)___

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness.

So Many projects...
    So Little Time..

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    10x12 tarp
    Insulation
    Foam Pad.
    Suspension
    Nylon Straps
    Beautiful post.. Thanks for the advice and Merry Christmas to you to sir.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Wow, 1K and counting.
    I hadn't previously noticed you were in Guam. From late 90's until 2002 I made regular trips to work at Apra Harbor and hiked the island quite a bit - other than the snakes, I really liked Guam. How do you deal with the snakes while hammocking?
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth/Bear Butt Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 Nylon Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Sleepingbag UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Happy Holiday's to you and yours
    Newbie Hanger