DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    SMr Nube
    Insulation
    Lewis UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap

Sierra Madre Research Nube

Just received my Nube (pronouced 'new-bay') hammock shelter from Sierra Madre research, today. Went outside and tried to find a could trees that I could get to that didn't have huge snow drifts. It's still roughly 30 degrees out, so it was a quick test. Sorry, I don't have any pictures.

Packaging: The Nube compacts quite small. I don't have pictures but imagine going from 3/4 of a Presto (fire starter) log, down to roughly 1.5x a ENO DN. It seems as though it is kinda bulky for a backpacking trip, so if I took it on a backpacking trip, I probably wouldn't use the compression sack, but would lay it on top/under my underquilt in the bottom of my pack.

Features: I really like a lot of their features as they seem very well thought out.
    Velro-line keeps: The velco-keep system for each of the tie-out lines is incredible. Just wrap the lines around the velco and it keeps them from getting tangled - love it.
    QR Codes: SMr has placed QR codes on plastic, hanging from various other features, that link to youtube videos to show you the proper way to setup the system, use the feature. For example, just under the compression sack's lid is a QR code tag that says, "scan to see how to setup the Nube". Really cool for the first time you set everything up.
    Stuff sack: The Nube comes in a double ended stuff sack with compression sacks. Incredibly well built.

Concerns from others:
    A lot of people on here had concerns about having to hang the system very high. I hung the system roughly 6.5 feet up, and the gear sling was on the ground. So in the future, if I just put the top ropes roughly 8 feet up, I'll be just fine. The system when hung up is 11 feet in length.

My concerns:
    Bug neg: the bug net is two zippers from each end that meet in the middle. When closed, there is a slight gap. This really isn't an issue for me, but I could see those in no-seeum areas being very concerned that no-seeums could sneak thru this area.
    Rain down suspension lines: The hammock's suspension travels into the canopy cover (and bug net) thru an opening in the tarp. The opening has shock cording that you then tighten down around the suspension. My concern is water continuing to travel down straps and into the Nube. Even if you have a water break, water may still drip down onto the bottom of the bug net. Not really a huge concern, but it's there. Maybe I'll try wrapping a shamwow towel in the opening before cinching down.

Summary:
    I'm going to have to spend more time with it to dial everything in. But, I really like the Nube. You can definitely tell that Richard and Juli spent a ton of time looking at little ways of improving their product. I'm a huge fan of their advocacy for change in Central America as well. Overall two thumbs up.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Nice. Thanks. Can you post some pictures and weight the components?

S

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Sweet, I'm still waiting on my green one. Cant wait to test it out.

Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    SMr Nube'
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I also can't wait till I. Get my steel gray nube. Hopfully before I get too old to use it.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Images
    Cool. U guys try it first before I get it. hahaha. I've had my eye on it for a while and I'm very interested.

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    Housefly
    Insulation
    Marmot 15F/Pad
    Suspension
    Atlas
    Quote Originally Posted by rbpratt View Post
    I also can't wait till I. Get my steel gray nube. Hopfully before I get too old to use it.
    rbpratt, I'm from Roanoke, so I thought I'd say hey.

I'm anxious to see pictures. I found this on kickstarter about a month ago and was really intrigued by it. Do you have any idea what that costs now and if it's in production yet for retail sale?

Hammock
    SMr Pares
    Tarp
    SMr Nube'
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JordanFerg92 View Post
    rbpratt, I'm from Roanoke, so I thought I'd say hey.

I'm anxious to see pictures. I found this on kickstarter about a month ago and was really intrigued by it. Do you have any idea what that costs now and if it's in
    production yet for retail sale?
    You can goto smrgearme.com & check oit their products. The Nube' and Pares hammock combo is now. $375.00. The last lead time I have seen is around June.

Hammock
    HENNY HYPER/EXP
    Tarp
    CAMO VERTEX
    Insulation
    BBJB
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    I watched the video on this and have been curious to what people actually think and what the pics look like in real life…

• + New Posts