Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Clark NA Review

This hammock is extremely comfortable. Much more comfortable than most of it's competitors.

What I like:
    Comfort, Comfort, Comfort, Weather Shield, bug net (removable).

What I don't like:
    tarp, ropes and drip rings

Comfort:
    This hammock is a Cadillac when it comes to comfort. For me it is top of the line in comfort. What more can I say. I can easily sleep on my side too.

Tarp:
    Get real, the tarp is the size of a Kleenex. It does not really protect the bottom of the hammock from cross wind/rain. I have tested it in minimal rain and kept dry, but fear using it in a bad storm. If you have a down under quilt (UQ) I would not use this tarp in the rain for fear the UQ will get soaked. I prefer small tarps, but this one doesn't seem to look like it would work very well. Cross winds/rain could be a serious issue.

I really do like the system used to keep the bug net suspended. It works very well.

Weather Shield:
    This is the best feature on the hammock as far as I am concerned. I absolutely love it. It helps keep you warm, and kees the rain out. However, it is only water resistant, not water proof.

Ropes:
    Terrible, I woke up on the ground every time I used them because they stretch so much.

Drip Rings:
    Not bad, but can easily get lost because they are not permanently attached.

Bottom Pockets:
    They don't work very for keeping warm. I have tried many different items. However, I tried some Climashield xp and it seems to work pretty well. I am having some down mini-under-quits made to stuff int he pockets. We'll so how they work. I'll write another review.

The pockets make it awkward for putting an under quilt on the hammock. I need to do more experimenting to see if the pockets are worth using for keeping warm.

Quality:
    I give this hammock a high mark for craftsmanship and quality. It is very well construced, very durable and looks great.

Overall:
    I give this hammock high marks, however I would like to see some mods. Ditch the bottom pockets, replace the ropes and drip rings with better quality ones. I can live with the pockets, but have to figure out the best way to use them to keep warm. I will keep trying and post all my findings.

If your in the market for a hammock I would consider the Clark. However, I find the price to be much too high when comparing to their competitors. The Claytor JH is 1/2 the price and is just as comfortable. It is just as good of a quality too. However, the Claytor lacks the features of the Clark. If you like features, and have the cash, go for the Clark.
    Last edited by hacktorious; 06-25-2009 at 20:22.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Be ready for PMs from the Clark tarp fans.
    Nice review! I'm totally with you on the weathershield; it really is a neat addition to the hammock and by far my favorite feature. Keep us posted on your mini-quilts.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Nice review! I'm totally with you on the weathershield; it really is a neat addition to the hammock and by far my favorite feature. Keep us posted on your mini-quilts.
    I'm all ears.... I actually prefer a small tarp, but don't see how this one is very practical with a UQ. Who knows, maybe I will change my mind over time.

I slept in my NA again last night. I used the xp in the pockets again and had a few cold spots, but was OK. Maybe I will try the Clark tarp again. I used my claytor tarp yesterday.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I will not voice my option to loudly as most already know how I feel. Until I had a superfly made for me I could not say anything about the Clark tarp. I love the superfly to much to say anything about it. But I have a legendary NEO 9x9 tarp and it sucks for keeping you dry in wind blown rain. I have a McCat Deluxe and have been wet with it to many times to count. The only one that I have not been that way with other than the Clark XL is the superfly. I also think that if your in a good rain that if you have your clark is low enough to sit in as a chair and the tarp pitched down you should never have any problems with the rain splatter. I have gotten up in the morning after and during big rain storms and have felt the underneath of the Clark and it's not wet/damp. If you are for sure getting a huge rain storm I would put it into the storm mode and you will stay very dry. Having said that all my Clark traps are XL tarps.

I have posted pictures of the difference in the size of the deluxe versus the Clark and 2-3 inches is not enough for me to be sold.

I like my Deluxe for my Eno hammock just fine but I don't take it out if I know its going to be blowing 30 and raining or snowing.

by far the best tarp I have is the Superfly for coverage tho

anywho great review and those are all good points that you made.
    good luck

THAT WAS NOT TO BAD WAS IT CANNIBAL

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    THAT WAS NOT TO BAD WAS IT CANNIBAL
    Nope! Good job.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Get real, the tarp is the size of a Kleenex. It does not really protect the bottom of the hammock from cross wind/rain. I have tested it in minimal rain and kept dry, but fear using it in a bad storm. If you have a down under quilt (UQ) I would not use this tarp in the rain for fear the UQ will get soaked.
    I agree that using the tarp with an UQ can be a problem. I think it could be solved with and undercover like the JRB driducks poncho.

I used the stock Clark stock tarp for years thru many storms and stayed completely dry. Set up in storm mode it is hard to beat because you do not have to worry about tie outs coming loose in high winds etc. I only stopped using the stock tarp after drinking the "kool-aid" on this forum
    I am now back to my stock setup with an XL tarp as a compromise.

Don't use it as much as I used to because the DIY disease but when I do the stock XL works just fine. Its an aquired taste.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Well, I do prefer small tarps. I loved my HH setup. Maybe I'll try the dry ducks. I am going to try some mini-quilts in the pockets. First I have to mail out some down so they can be made.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the review...
    I learned some things about the Clark Hammock.

I appreciate that you included the good and the bad in your review.
    Just for some feedback...I would like some additional facts (measurements of the tarp, materials used on the ropes, etc) to support your criticisms.

On a side note, I'm a little sad that Clark lovers here can't seem to look past a reviewers criticisms...I mean the only 2 Clark loyalist who have responded gave this review a "1" rating, the worst possible score? The only possible reason is the review wasn't 100% positive. You guys hammered Cannibal and now Hack gets the same treatment. You want a perfect 5 review...do it yourself and stop banging anyone with a different opinion than yours.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies

Thumbs up review of clark, rope, drip-rings

Well personally I though this was a very good review of the NA clark. It address's good and bad points that occured while he was testing it. For someone that does not own a clark, these are things to consider. For others that do own clarks, we can point out that not all the "bad points" will be observered by all people. Example being the ropes and the drip-rings. I happen to like both and true, I did sit on the ground the first couple of times I tried to tie up the hammock, I figured out how to keep from doing that. And the drip-rings... well you either love them or hate them. I've found that with using the hammock and the ropes, that the rope develops a "memory" of where the drip-ring is and it tends to stay there. So I've not encountered any problems with loosing it. The tarp, I too think it's small and I've got the XL size for my tropical clark. So far I've camped a couple of times in rain, not had any issues with the bottom getting wet. I did have it in the "storm" mode and found it difficult to get into the hammock and get back out. The tarp was right up against me as I tried to get in and out. No problems once inside the hammock. So even though I think it's small, It seems to be doing the job it was ment to do. My tropical doesn't come with the weather shield so I ordered it as an addition. So glad I did too. That weather shield works!! All in all, I like your report. Keep testing out the Clark and try out different ideas too to see if you can change anything, like tying the ropes tighter, sitting in it to see how it hangs and then tightening up the ropes if needed.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Thanks for the review...
    I learned some things about the Clark Hammock.

I appreciate that you included the good and the bad in your review.
    Just for some feedback...I would like some additional facts (measurements of the tarp, materials used on the ropes, etc) to support your criticisms.

On a side note, I'm a little sad that Clark lovers here can't seem to look past a reviewers criticisms...I mean the only 2 Clark loyalist who have responded gave this review a "1" rating, the worst possible score? The only possible reason is the review wasn't 100% positive. You guys hammered Cannibal and now Hack gets the same treatment. You want a perfect 5 review...do it yourself and stop banging anyone with a different opinion than yours.
    I never voted on this review in fact I didn't even see that part of it but if I could still vote it certainly would not be a 1 I thought the review was good.
    hmmm now that has got me wondering why it shows me as a 1. Why on earth would I give a 1 to something I thought was good that floors me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast