Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternative indoor hang

Ok, so unfortunately I don't have 2 trees at appropriate distances in the yard. I live in Florida, so no basement with rafters. And from all the info on the forums (and a few hand calculations), the stress on the rafters is a bit questionable.
    So what to do?

This is what I came up with. An 8 foot 2x4 (which I just happened to have in the garage) as a stiff ridgeline to take the compressive stress. This way the only stress on the eye bolts in the beam is a downward force of my weight. (ok, a little outward force because the eye bolts are not directly above my attachment points)
    I'm going to clean up the suspension a little, and maybe a longer 2x4 to allow for a more natural hang. But all in all, a good test bed for my DIY hammocks.

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    That'll work! Good job.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Cool Concept! Only concern I'd have is, depending on the quality of 2x4, whether drilling a hole that close to the end of the 2x4 that you're hanging from would cause the board to split (maybe over time as the board dries). Looks like you may have the strapping wrapped in a certain way to account for this but it's hard to tell for sure. Positioning over the pool would ensure a softer landing.

Thank you , thank you, thank you! I finally understand what's meant by a "structural ridgeline".

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grakker View Post
    Thank you , thank you, thank you! I finally understand what's meant by a "structural ridgeline".

haha.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I like the idea.
    Not a fan of the big drilled hole, though. Wrapping your support straps around the 2x4, then securing with a knot, may work better.
    Whats holding everything, up above..? That's got to be really strong and secured well.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I like the idea.
    Not a fan of the big drilled hole, though. Wrapping your support straps around the 2x4, then securing with a knot, may work better.
    Whats holding everything, up above..? That's got to be really strong and secured well.
    Yep...lose the hole, and let the straps wrap around the 2x4 just outboard of the eyebolt.

Love the concept, but....doesn't that sucker spin?
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

About the hang

Thanks for the feedback. I know the holes aren't the optimal attachment method, but I wanted to fix the distance for the "ridgeline". The second set of holes for hanging it to the beam was a bit of a lazy moment.
    I will probably swap the straps for a couple of chains and put through bolts in.

The setup doesn't spin. It is surprising stable. Only downside is that I need to enter the hammock from a more "side" entry. The ridgeline is not in the way once your in, just on entry. And I guess if I were it sit up too fast...OOuucch

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    Any thoughts?
    I like it a lot! You are thinking along the lines of my 'old friend' Isaac E. Palmer. Check out his patent from 1898: http://www.google.com/patents?id=eHZ...page&q&f=false .

If the spreader is too close to the hammock you can use a longer spreader and use more of the hammock suspension line, and maintain the same hammock sag. If you do that, you get roughly 1/4 of a foot of separation for every foot of added spreader length.
    Youngblood AT2000

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    This way the only stress on the eye bolts in the beam is a downward force of my weight. (ok, a little outward force because the eye bolts are not directly above my attachment points)
    About those forces... you are splitting your weight in half because you are using two attachment points and the downward force on each beam is equal to that. But something else is going on at the eye bolts, the holes they screwed in to and the hammock suspension. In your application it isn't much to be concerned with because you are not departing too far from vertical. But as the 'drop angle' starts departing from true vertical you start generating extra. Where I would start worrying about it is when that angle starts getting large, especially if someone starts trying it with a single attachment point.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast