11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings

matching TQ temperature rating to UQ temperature rating

I was wondering how critical folks found it to match the temperatures of their TQ and UQ. I receintly bought a 20 top quilt from hemmock gear to match the coolest temperatures that we have here in North Georgia to replace my very old and tired synthetic bag. However, I picked up a 0 degree 3/4 underqult a while ago when it became available second hand locally. My thinking is that I can always add an extra fleece balnket inside my quilt to take me to cool temperatures if I need to. I'll try to pick up a 40 degree underquilt soon for the warmer temperatures in GA and use either the 20 degree TQ with it when it's cooler, or a fleece blanket during the late summer months. The alternative would be to try to resel the zero degree underquilt to buy a 20 degree underquilt with idea of buying a second set of matching quilts in the distant future.

Hammock
    11 ft Dutch
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 season New River
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Images
    This is not from experience. I am sure someone that has more of that will chime in soon, but have read on hear many time about what people use for different temps. What I have picked up from other peoples videos and stories is that it really doesn't matter. I have heard of people doing exactly what you are doing with a 0 degree and 20 degree I have also seen 20 UQ and 40 TQ. All this said these are from other peeps on here, but I say if you are comfortable that your system is working.

Hammock
    multicam T-bird
    Tarp
    camo cuben hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*; Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch; whoop
    Generally you can use a 0* UQ and a 20* TQ , or a 20*UQ with a 40* TQ. The heat rises, you need more warmth below you than above. I've used a 40* Lafuma sleeping bag on top in 20* temps by throwing on top a poncho liner tied to the foot of the hammock so it doesn't fall off. With the poncho liner over the sleeping bag, hammock, and 0* full length UQ, it really held in warmth.

Hammock
    11 foot
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    That makes sese. That is kind of what I was thinking because the underquilt also seems to go a good way ound your sides as well. So I think it's good to have the zero degree for under becasue it actually gets pretty cold on the AT sometimes. The 40 degree underquilt should be fine for the warmer months in GA with somethign light on top. Then I have cold weather gear for the cold months, or trips up North.
    Last edited by ebrianschmidt; 04-19-2014 at 12:36.

• + New Posts