WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Tewa Breeze
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by lckeeper1 View Post
    I think the stick would be a really good thing to carry for some self myofascial release on the trail. I love me a good foam roller when I'm at home, but it can be quite cumbersome on the trail.

Another alternative which may be more conducive to to taking out on the trail is to use a lacrosse ball. Because they are all rubber, they have a bit more density behind them compared to a tennis ball, but aren't quite as hard as a baseball. This makes it a little more comfortable. Additionally, they let you target individual spots a bit better than a stick would. A great example of this is putting the ball between a wall/tree/upright structure and leaning on it to target the exact spot you're feeling discomfort (works REALLY well for traps, all the muscles around the scapula, and the paraspinal muscles). Of course, you can do the same thing for hamstrings, quads, calves, IT bands, etc. You're only really limited by your creativity.

Also, being a tiny ball, they are lighter than the stick (if that's a concern), take up less pack space, and are about 25 bucks cheaper.

Just my two cents, but I've had really good success using them for day to day use, and I don't see why they wouldn't work quite well on the trail.
    Dang, you are either a physical/massage therapist or just very well versed on the industry terminology??
    Palm made products a portrait of modern triumph

I second the suggestion of using a water bottle to roll. I've used a nalgene while traveling and it works well, although it can be a bit more uncomfortable than a true foam roller if you aren't used to it.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I made something similar to this, but will likely just pick it up latter. I use it to store my Caldera Cone and can put my fuel bottle inside too.

rogue-m80-grenade-web-h1.jpg
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Images
    Hmmm

That just seems like an awful waist of pack space if it doesn't do something else.

If in bear country a bear canister would probably work.

If you carry a decent saw you could go cut a small section out of a decent sized log and wrap something around it like a camp towel or a strip of neoprene. Maybe your pot cozy if its durable enough.

Which brings up a good point. If you could support the open end so it doesn't collapse, I imagine even an aluminum pot would work for doing your legs. Probably wouldn't try it on my back.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I because I use it to store my caldera cone in and can fit both my fuel bottle and a spare platypus bottle in there, I just put it in my left water bottle holder. My right holder holds my water bottle. The space works perfectly for me with only ~4oz of weight penalty.

I tried my bear can, but it is a bit too big. I warped the junk out of my pot trying it.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    HH UL BP Classic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just suck it up. After a few days, your body will adapt. I do take Alleve & Advil along but I use it only when it's really necessary. I like the idea about using logs and will try it on my 325 mile hike this summer.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Lacrosse Ball Physical Therapy

+1 on the lacrosse ball (tennis, large rubber etc.). The physical therapist at my Chiropractor's office demonstrated it for me with my back to the wall, L-ball between as in this YT video. But I can see on YT that there are many other PT uses for a Lacrosse ball and obviously some trees in the wilderness may work as well.

BTW these bouncy balls are also easier to haul than the Physical Therapist as nice as she is, and as great as her deep tissue massages are, OH she is also better at conversation than a L-ball, LOL

Hammock
    ENO DN or DIY 11' CS90
    Tarp
    Oware/Speer Winter
    Insulation
    Underquilts.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Why not just stretch while you're in camp? I always seem to have a lot of time to do nothing with when I finally make camp, so I end up stretching for at least an hour - not all at once, just whenever I find myself with nothing better to do. That and staying well hydrated is almost always enough to keep the soreness in check. And some Vitamin I never hurts, either.

The Stick is great, I have one and use it pretty frequently, but I would never take one on a trip with me. Maybe leave it in the car for a long ride home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123