Dutch Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images

DiY Stake Organizer (Step by Step for new thread injectors)

Project: Stake Organizer
    By: Chris M. Christian (Hangs4Fun)
    Date: 4/19/2014
    Thread Injector: Janome HD3000
    Thread: Gutermann Mara Black
    Fabric: SilNylon 1.1 oz per yd2 (confirmed via scale)
    Enforcement: 7/8" and 1" Black GrosGain

Stake Organizer Inside Full.JPG

Material List:
    - 16" by 18" piece of SilNylon
    - 2 pieces of 7/8" Black GrosGain 16" long
    - 1 piece of 1" Black GrosGain 16" long
    - 3 hook/loop pieces of Velcro approx: 1/2" by 3/4"
    - 2 pieces of shock cord approx: 6-7" long
    - *Optional*: 3" double sided fabric tape

Equipment List:
    - Sewing machine that can do straight, triple, folded hem, overedge stitches
    - Scissors and seam ripper
    - *Optional* - fabric cutting board with measurements on it, fabric measuring straight edge, pins and/or double sided fabric tape

Instructions:
    Step 1 - Cut 16" by 18" rectangular piece of fabric
    **NOTE - Measure the length of your stake (my MSR Groundhogs are 7.5" long. 18" is perfect for stakes that are <= 7.5", if longer add twice the diff to 18"

Step 2 - Put a 1/4" rolled hem around the entire perimeter of the piece (16" by 18")
    Stitch - #13 straight single stitch, D foot, 2.5 string length, 5 tension
    TIPw - hand press two 1/4" folds for about 3-4" to ensure the rolled hem foot can continue the double fold.
    TIP - start at the top right and you can do a continuous run, do a bevel cut on each corner

Step 3 - Put a 1/2" hem on the bottom 16" (straight stitch, needle left, use foot as guide), put another straight stich, this time needle right, use the left stitch as guide
    Stitch - #13 straight single stitch, A foot, 2.5 string length, 5 tension
    **NOTE - I tried going down to a 2 tension in increments of 1, but this SilNylon was very slippery and the higher tension did better on the extra layers below

Step 4 - Attach the 2 - 16" strips of 7/8" gross gain. From the bottom (1/2" hem with double stitching), measure 13" and 14" and make a mark on left and right

Step 5 - Put a 1/2" hem on the left and right side (fold goes on inside where stakes will go),
    Optional - do an overedge stitch along the inside/outside folded hems (My was a #18 stitch, auto string length, 5 tension, 3.5 width)
    Optional - do a diagonal triple stitch in the corners to strengthen
    Optional - Add a third reinforcing stich on the bottom hem (which will become the lip to the stake pocket), likely the same you used in previous option

Step 6 - Fold the bottom up to the first gross gain line, this is where you will initially slide the stake in (the gross gain reduces fatigue to fabric, 2nd protects the fold). Inject some thread on the left and right
    TIP - you want the very bottom to cover half of the 1st gross gain
    Optional - if you pin any part of the project I would highly recommend pinning this part
    Optional - put a reinforcing stich where the bottom meets the top (the edges of the stake pocket lip), there will more forces here.

....continued due to 15 picture limit ;-)
    Last edited by Hangs4Fun; 04-19-2014 at 18:06.
    Deja Moo: "The feeling you have heard this bull before"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    Step 7 - Attach a 1" piece of gross gain (folded in half) on the bottom of the bag at the corners (when you stitch the stake pocket it will further attach this lower piece).
    Stitch - #15 triple strength stitch, A foot, 2.5 string length, 5 tension
    TIP - fold the gross gain in half and press firmly with your fingers to form a crease, this will make it easier to attach properly
    TIP - make sure you pull the pouch with the gross gain after the first stitch to make sure they get set at the same size
    TIP - run some triple stiches forward and back for strength
    Optional - again, I would recommend pinning this piece
    Optional - do an overedge stitch on the bottom gross gain, #18 (overedge stitch) C foot 3.5 string length, 5 tension (use a lighter to heat up the edge)

Step 8 - Measure 1" lines starting from the right, you can use a sharpie since you will be running a stitch over top to set each of the stake pockets.
    TIP - a see through straight for doing fabric measurements works awesome here
    TIP - take a little time to get the fabric flat under the straight edge so the sharpie line is straight

Step 9 - Inject some thread on each of the lines you marked in the last step, this sets each stake pocket.
    **NOTE - 1" worked perfectly for my MSR Groundhogs, if you are using something else you may find that more or less works better
    Optional - run a triple stitch from the bottom to the top of the pocket lip and into the 1st gross gain, stopping at the top gross gain stitch

Step 10 - Put 2 stitches along the bottom gross gain of the misc pouch (to the left of the stakes, the stakes gross gain is good enough with a stitch every inch)
    **NOTE - do NOT do these 2 stitches into the stake portion of the gross gain

Step 11 - Put 3 sets of Velcro (1/2" by 3/4") to hold the flap shut, with the "hook" pieces on the top flap and the loop pieces on front edge (I hate it when braided rope gets are knarly because it is on the loop sections)
    TIP - a piece of 2 sided fabric tape works very nicely to keep the Velcro pieces in place long enough to stitch them
    TIP - I found it helped to put my stakes in at this point and see where the best places to stitch were
    Optional - you can sew these on earlier in the process which will allow you to inject more thread without taking space from the stakes

Step 12 - Attach 2 pieces of shock cord ~6-7" on the left side of the pouch (next to ridge line/misc pouch), one 3" from top and another 2" from bottom
    **NOTE - you could also just do a couple more pieces of Velcro here, but not knowing how big the rolled up organizer will get, I chose shock cord
    TIP - put all of your stakes and ridge lines or cords and roll up starting on the right side with the stakes, determine what size shock cord works best for you
    TIP - there is a certain way to stitch the shock cord so that it is quicker to wrap around without twisting (see figure), mine was always 6 to 6.25"
    Last edited by Hangs4Fun; 04-19-2014 at 18:08.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    Go easy on me ;-)
    This was my very first thread injecting project. I wanted to tackle something small before moving on to my Argaon SilNylon Tarp and ASym Hammock.
    I watched a LOT of videos and read a TON of forum articles before I ran my first stitch. My friend had an organizer for his stakes and I took a picture of it and made this version of it (I added some Velcro closers and shock cord straps for easier bundling. I made 4 of these, with the idea that 2 were to learn from and 2 were "final" ones for my son and I. So I played around with different overedge stitches and such. I also tried a couple different methods to reinforce.

I will be honest I hade a blast doing this but can't imagine doing the 12 foot ridgeline for the tarp :-O I will likely use double sided tape for that and not cut the shape until it is one big 10' by 12' piece. That way, if I do something wrong and one piece gets shorter than the other I won't have to re-cut.

I also wanted to provide more information about each step for other noob's out there (I was totally clueless as to what foot, what stitch length, tension, etc. I am NOT someone who should be teaching anyone how to do this stuff, but I wanted to point out tips and options that may help out someone who is as clueless as I was. As I do other projects I will document in the same format.

I hope this helps you if you are just starting out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That looks real nice. Great job. Very detailed instructions.
    My head is an animal

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    REALLY sharp piece of kit and an amazing tutorial on how to make it.

My DIY skills are atrocious so I won't be attempting this, but I really hope to see more of these out there!
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon SilHex
    Insulation
    HGIncubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch BeetleBuckle
    Images
    How many people use something like this for their stakes or do you just use a simple sack?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    ...Don't suppose you'd whip one of these bad boys up and sell it, eh?
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    That looks fantastic and very well made! Excellent step by step tutorial as well, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangs4Fun View Post
    How many people use something like this for their stakes or do you just use a simple sack?
    I use a pretty simple one made from tyvek. It it just 2 sections, 1 for stakes, 1 for suspension stuff. The top closes off with shockcord and a cord lock.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Not sure if we will get a chance before the spring hang but i am gonna ask my wife to make me one just like this one,, awesome job,, very nice work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast