Hammock Shopping Questions

Hi All. I'm just starting to explore the possibility of buying a hammock and was looking for advice. I've done some research and watched a few videos on youtube - shug, athiking1, and a few others - talking about the wonders of hammock camping and am definitely interested. I am 6'1" and about 175 lbs. I don't get out in the woods as much as I'd like to, but I do want to be sure that I can count on my equipment when I do head out. I came across the byer moskito hammock and it seemed like a good place to start. I'm trying to be as frugal as possible and the price seemed right for what it had to offer.

However, I don't want to buy something like the moskito or a similar set up only to find that I haven't really saved any $ because I can't use it. Am I better off saving up a little more $ or will the moskito work well enough for me to be comfortable and give me a nice hammock camping experience?

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    "Well enough" means different things to different people. I bought a cheap hammock to test the waters. After finding I liked it I bought a nicer one. The byer will work "well enough" but might not be your best bet for long term, heavy use. If you are a believer in the term "you get what you pay for" that might explain why the byer is $40 bucks and most commercial hammocks users on this forum own are well over $100. Describe to us what you will do with your hammock, how often you will use it, and features that are important to you (bug net, top loader, light weight) and we can provide better guidance. Welcome to the forum

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Also, check out this thread: Hammock Setups by Price Range
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Welcome to the forum.

The Byer seemed to me to increase likelihood of hopeless tangling of the end ropes. There's that old saying, what can go wrong, will go wrong - I think someone has cursed me with this, so like to keep my gear pretty simple and goof proof.

there are any number of ways to get a good hammock for cheap - look in the 4 sale forum, look on google shopping - I see the travel hammock is on sale at Campmor for twenty bucks....

Also take into consideration that any hammock automatically works better than a tent, to our way of thinking. Check out the forums for the different types of hammocks, I believe there's one for the Byer.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I bought some Byer Moskito hammocks and found them completely unusable. The material and lines stretched so much that I never felt stable or comfortable in the hammock. And the lines got tangled on the first setup...which may have affected the lay of the hammock somewhat.

Just one opinion - I'd stay away from that model.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Gear storage

I use the Byer Moskito hammocks for storage of down quilts/sleeping bags/parkas,etc. They do well in that role giving the items room to expand and loft and plenty of air circulation.

Thank you all...very valuable input and will definitely help as I move forward.

• + New Posts