Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

What am I missing?

So, my Dream-Hammock arrives on Wednesday. I plan on doing my first hike+hang in May (hopefully a good portion of the snow is gone by then). But I am already thinking ahead to the summer, and what gear I'm going to need.

My HG Incubator (0'F) is going to be too warm for the summer. So I am looking at getting a Multicam 20'F UQ - probably the UGQ 20'F Zeppelin with the Dream-Hammock shoulder hooks.

I am also going to get an UQP in Multicam from 2QZQ.

I have an ENO 35 - 45'f topquilt already, though am not really sure just how warm it is with that sort of rating (got it in a deal on either Woot or Amazon a few months ago). Its in a bright blue color (not nearly so bright in the picture) but I can live with it though it might be nice going full-Multicam.

I think I need S-Biners from Dutchware to connect my HH -Hex-fly tarp to the prussic loops on the ridgeline I have for it. Also thinking of getting a Superfly MC Tarp as well - for the colder months and rain etc.

Am I missing anything, or would some one recommend something else?

Images
    I would watch the forsale section and pickup a good condition 20F 3/4 UQ which would be a summer quilt for Aspen, haha
    Multicam items always seems to be heavier which may or maynot be an issue if you hike. For me it's an issue.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    So, my Dream-Hammock arrives on Wednesday. I plan on doing my first hike+hang in May
    Go try new hammock & insulation out overnight in back yard as soon as you can this will tell you if your gear is adequate. Experience is probably more valuable than high end gear. If you have time for a quick overnight car camp trip close by before longer backpacking into wilderness this will give you opportunity to try out various suspension, tarps, cordage, hardware, knots etc and eliminate excess from your wilderness pack. A major problem with car camping is the noise and headlights etc from others driving thru campgrounds but these places are very useful for testing out your new gear and improving your setup and pack up times. Have fun.
    Last edited by ntxkayakr; 04-21-2014 at 15:26. Reason: spelling correction

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Don't have a car, so that won't be an issue.
    Not my first hammock. I am familiar with Whoopies etc and how to set everything up. Its more about keeping warm during the night.

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallaghan View Post
    Don't have a car, so that won't be an issue.
    Not my first hammock. I am familiar with Whoopies etc and how to set everything up. Its more about keeping warm during the night.
    Sorry, I should know to keep everything very generic and call it base camping. A primary issue with insulation is that listed temperature numbers by the manufacturer are just a suggestion or approximation. Therefore it is best to experiment with it due to your comfort level, rate of calorie burn, humidity, how many layers you sleep in, how well the insulation fits your hammock, how good you are at adjusting it, blocking the wind, rain, sleet, snow. Your personal training from the military and other outdoor survival training, i.e. don't go to sleep cold. All these and many other factors are in my opinion best experimented with on new gear (insulation) while base camping in someone's backyard or a nearby campgrounds, but a 3 day backpacking trip will also work. I've camped with folks who complained the entire trip about their new untested gear, probably not something you would never do.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Exactly - I always test in my backyard before going out into the woods, though the 1000FT elevation change can really change a lot of factors. I probably won't try going up there until mid-may, around the time they open the pass to the public as (usually) enough snow has melted by then.

I think I will go ahead with the S-Biners and UQP for now.

• + New Posts