Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Traveler

Check my logic on buying a new top quilt; considering a HG Burrow 40 w/ 2oz overstuff

first post here, so please excuse any newbie issues.

I'm gearing up for a transition to hanging. My primary use will be in northern Colorado in September for archery elk season. I've done one year up there in a tent with a 40 degree bag on a thermarest and I got a bit chilly on two nights it dropped down to temps that produced frost, but nothing dangerous or involving too much drama. I was wearing a layer of merino wool to sleep in and I've always got this base layer with me to adjust to conditions and I consider it part of my sleep system. I was going to upgrade to a bigger & better bag, but then I made the switch to hanging and I've decided it's the way to go for me.

My current top quilt is a Golite one season (40 degree) quilt which isn't 'lite' and isn't very big. It tips my scales at 21 oz and it measures roughly 27" wide x 72" long with a sewn foot box. If lay perfect it just gets to the bottom of my shoulders with no wiggle room. I've spent a few nights in it hanging in my parents yard in western Oregon in the summer and did fine in those temps but I don't think it is the right answer for higher country in the fall.

My internet research and reading here have convinced my that a Hammock Gear Burrow 40 degree quilt with 2 oz of over stuff is the right quilt for my needs. I'll gain quite a bit of additional coverage and I should have a quilt that will take me down into the 30's (I'll have my merino wool and heavy socks for sleeping.) I'll also gain over 7 oz of weight savings.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights before I pull the trigger on the quilt and sell my Golite quilt.

Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have a 20* Burrow with no overfill. I feel it gives me the most complete temp range for everything above 0*F. Above 65* I might kick a foot or two out, above 75* I no longer need anything. My 20* Burrow is always cozy but, is rarely too warm. For Colorado I would want a 20* Burrow for sure; for Louisville perhaps the 40* makes a bit more sense.

If I were to order today I'd probably go wide. When used in a hammock there is no need but, when I use the quilt as a ground dweller I could use just a bit more coverage.

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    I have a HG 0º Incubator with overfill and use it comfortably up to 65. It's easily 3 plus seasons. I'd go at least to the 20 like OCD said. Build the bottom layer first as it's the most important.

I'm no expert, but I get the impression that you might get more bang for the buck upgrading your bottom insulation first by getting an underquilt like the HG Incubator.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Thanks for the advice - I assume from the replies that you get more bang for your buck, or in this case warmth, from the bottom insulation then?
    Told you I was new at this....

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dough Boy View Post
    Thanks for the advice - I assume from the replies that you get more bang for your buck, or in this case warmth, from the bottom insulation then?
    Told you I was new at this....
    You got it now!

The only reason I know this is because I just asked a very similar question. Here's the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...more-efficient

I cross-posted this to BackpackingLight too, and the responses in both places were unanimous. The under-quilt is more important than the top-quilt.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I answered your other thread same way: I'd go with a 20* Burrow - more versatility. I've used it from 3 degrees up to 75 degrees. You might think you're only gonna camp down into the thirties, but a 20* quilt set will give you a great range. I started out with a 20* Burrow and Phoenix, but have recently added a 0* Incubator and Burrow ('cause I like cold weather camping).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Night oWL
    Tarp
    WL TadPole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    +1 to any HG quilts

Hammock
    HH
    Insulation
    down
    DoughBoy,

I am a long term tent guy devoted to Big Agnes; actually have maybe 10 different versions from 40 down to Zero degree F. Check the closed listing for Big Agnes on eBay and you can get some extremely good deals and I have had outstanding warranty service with Big Agnes. It is also good since it has a pad pocket so you can put a couple CCF pads in it and they will not slip away from the bag,
    Picked up a HH Classic on a whim from eBay (Hey Look ! a New A Hobby!!) I have pared a 15 degree and a 40 degree Big Agnes bags together down to 15 above zero on a cot outside without a tent. I did snag a 50% off new price on a basically unused 20 degree UQ by a well respected producer off of eBay. Other than that I plan to purchase dual use hanging and tent equipment until I am sure this hammockinging is for me. Drunk driver hit he head on and I already have 5 fused vertebrae so any fall would be NOT doctor approved. I figure with the UQ, the HH which I have a feeling will be traded or sold to get a Double nest and building the Mother of All Temporary (Cough, Cough; temp if you have 3 men and a boy to move it) Hammock Stands, I will probably have about $500 in total in this test assuming NO resale value.

What ever you do, Best of Luck.
    Paul

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast